PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Walsh's Times interview [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Walsh confirms other teams cheat

Looks like this guy is enjoying his face time, not sure who his handlers are, but someone should take him aside and tell him to STFU and go back to playing with balls in Hawaii...

Last edited by a moderator:

I wonder if there is an open minded media type anywhere, and thus Walsh will at least be ASKED who that other team was.

The New York Times refused to ask him tat question, I guess. LOL.

Re: Walsh's Times Interview

Hmmm.. Something else that I just caught and may also be the downfall of Walsh. According to the Times interview of Walsh, Walsh said he was in Tan shorts and a White shirt and couldn't remember if he had on a Blue Patriots pull-over or not. Yet, in Goodell's press conference and again in the statement regarding Brian Daboll, they are emphatic that Walsh said he was in Patriots garb.

NFL said:
"Mr. Walsh told the commissioner that he was wearing Patriots’ attire at the time and did not conduct himself in a clandestine manner. He said that he saw Rams employees while he was there and also was on the sidelines. He stated clearly to the commissioner that nobody from the Patriots requested or directed him to observe or report on the Rams’ walk-through."

What is also interesting is that Martz pretty much denies that Walsh was there on the sidelines in Pats garb.

Martz said:
"I was stunned at Matt Walsh’s allegation that he was on the sideline in New England Patriots apparel during our walk-thru. I find that insulting, disturbing and a slap in the face to both our team security and NFL security, who both do outstanding jobs. I promise you that if he was on the sideline, he was not in New England Patriots apparel because he would have been identified.

"This whole issue is based on statements made by Matt Walsh, and I think we have to understand that.

Martz is basically saying that Walsh is lying..

Also, Walsh's recollection of what happened at the walkthrough does not jive with what we were told the week of the Super Bowl (we were told they ran goal line plays). Add to that you already have Martz and Daboll calling him a liar, I'm not sure I trust Walsh's story of the walkthrough at all.

Last edited:

Rob -
If you stopped and thought that through for a second, you'd know it wasn't Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe was the starter against Tamp. He would have been on the field during the game in 2000 and would have been the one receiving the play calls from Weis. So, it was either Brady or Freisz who was the back-up watching the other team's defensive coaches and letting Weis know (we know it wasn't Bishop because he wasn't the brightest bulb in the socket).

Who said that that was the plan. It may have been actually counter productive to read the signal relay it to Weis who then would have to signal in a new play when the coach to QB communication probably would have shut off already before Weis could get in the new play. It would be more effective for the QB to have a list of audibles for certain calls and read the signal and call the audible based on what the defensive coach calls in. So thinking it was Bledsoe is actually very logical.

Since Walsh wasn't privvy to how the system was done on the field or at least didn't say how they did it, you are just assuming they did it the way you describe. I think it may be more advantageous for the QB on the field to read that information directly.

Last edited:

What is also interesting is that Martz pretty much denies that Walsh was there on the sidelines in Pats garb.

Well, in fairness to Walsh, just because Martz didn't see anyone wearing Patriots garb doesn't neccessarily mean there weren't any. Besides, Martz has a huge ego, if he admitted that there were people in Patriots gear on the field now, he would look pretty foolish.

I think are plenty inconsistencies and potential outright lies in Walsh's account. But I don't think Martz's comments can prove much of anything because unless he can say he remembered seeing Walsh there and he was in different clothes.

It could be Brady, but if it is, he should go into acting, b/c he did a great job of convincingly stating that Weiss and McD never fed him defensive plays through the headset.

I doubt it's Brady simply b/c it doesn't feel like a job they'd give the rookie backup - a career backup like Friesz would already have some experience stealing signals (Zolak mentions that was his job throughout his own career, to stand on the sidelines and try and steal the D's signal). It's more likely they'd give the task to him than to a rook who likely has no experience with it.

I'm surprised that the Patriots haven't said more to discredit Walsh

but I suspect that they are still under a gag order. The NFL is

hoping the matter will just fade away with the passage of time.

Last edited:

That's what I gathered as well.

Interesting Zolak comment yesterday was that his main job as a backup was to try and steal defensive signals. I honestly think the average Patriot hater has no clue that stealing signals is a part of the game and an accepted one, and don't realize that a) it was the taping that we were penalized for, not for having stolen signals b) up until 2006, BB's explanation of using the tapes for another game is rather legit.

So what do we really know about what this dude Walsh. He taped the games.. did not give anyone the tapes at halftime... he handed it over to this dude Ernie Adams who went through it religiously along with the other players and coaches to learn what formations and defenses during different situations during games MIGHT be in a future matchup. They were looking for tendencies. Hmmm.. how ******* awful... A football team doing what it takes to win games.

Now.. if NO ONE ELSE DID THIS.. why would the other teams have three different coaches sending in signals? Because all the teams do this kind of scouting.. that's why... also from that NY times article, it is not like Matt Walsh just waltzed up to the part of the stadium and began filming.. they had to have permission.. is this something that has been missed through this entire story? I think so.. other teams were giving permission to this guy to film, and the Patriots were asking for it. Doesn't that sound like what Mangini already said also? He said that it was ROUTINE to ask for permission to film in the end zone areas when in visiting stadiums.

This whole thing is crystal clear now to me, and I am sure to many of you.

The number of videotaping violations/inquiries were starting to pile up on the comissioner's desk. He felt he needed to take action so he sends out a memo in 2006. More complaints come in. The Jets/Patriots rivalry is at all-time high. Mangini recognizes Matt Estrella and reports it to NFL authorities prior to the game, NFL security acts and apprehends Estrella and confiscates the tape and camera.

Goodell wants to make sure the rest of the league knows he means business by levying a huge fine and punishment.

Now, all of Coach B's enemies come out. Media members who have been denied access, other coaches (Dungy), players (LT), former employees (Walsh) anyone who has a beef with Coach B/Patriots gets asked the question and they respond producing negative media attention. Specter who has two beefs, one with the Patriots and the NFL steps up to the plate to rattle the cages. So he does in only a way that Senators can... And then to top it all off, a writer, who is trying to make sure he "breaks" a story, delivers another damaging blow on the night before a Super Bowl. Adding more fuel to Specter's argument and thrusting Walsh into the national spotlight.

Everyone has an agenda in this whole muddled situation. Walsh.. revenge? Specter...representing Comcast? Media... disgruntled with BB? Other fans across America.. disgruntled because the Patriots have been kicking ass for the past few years. All that leads to the defamation of the Patriots organization as a whole, brings players, coaches under intense scrutiny and calls achievements into doubt. At least that is the way I am seeing this now, I no longer thing I have to ask "Why?" anymore. Now it is more "What does this person have to gain by doing this?" Once we answer all those questions we will learn the REAL truth behind this whole scenario.

I'm surprised that the Patriots haven't said more to discredit Walsh

but I suspect that they are still under a gag order. The NFL is

hoping the matter will just fade away with the passage of time.

They already did with the Globe article a couple months back. But those that want to discredit the Pats are not going to listen either way.

You are giving Walsh too much 'status'.

He is an apprentice assistant golf pro. Not exactly quite like being a golf pro. At a guess - and it's strictly an uneducated guess - he gets to video tape golfers making practice swings and then turns those tapes over to an assistant golf pro who analyzes the tapes for the course golf pro. The real golf pro at the Kaanapali Golf Resort might not even be able to pick Walsh out of a line up. :p Or maybe Walsh gets to handle the club rental concession and sell buckets of used balls. :D

That's beautiful! Awesome takedown.

Regards,
Chris

the funniest part to me is he says they didnt like when he did his job wrong and he was afraid what wouldhappen if he refused todo his job, as if there is something odd about that, and every employee in every company in America doesn't have those same rules.

The more I hear about this guy, the more I think the accountability lies with whoever would have hired this loser.

Walsh is a reason why Specter is still playing his game because he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.

Somebody need to tell Walsh to STFU because he is not doing anybody any good. He only makes everything complicated and worse.

The hypocrisy of Goodell and the sports media outlets is astounding right now.

Walsh is a reason why Specter is still playing his game because he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.

Somebody need to tell Walsh to STFU because he is not doing anybody any good. He only makes everything complicated and worse.

He did say something useful in today's Times:

"The information we were gathering was meant to help us the next time we played a team,"

This is proof that BB didn't use the tape in the same game and his interpretation of the rule was as he said.

Funny we're not hearing more of this...

:enranged:

I'm disappointed we've gotten rid of the thread titled "Walsh confirms other teams cheat"

That's HUGE news from someone that Specter is fond of citing as a credible source.

Just amazing that the NY Times - nor anyone else - including Specter - has asked Walsh to confirm the team he saw cheating.

Someone should hold him, Specter and the media's feet to the fire on that one.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander and if they consider him a credible source on the Pats cheating, they need to pursue the other teams implicated just as vigorously.

The fact that they are not speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back