PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vrabel sour grapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vrabel Sour Grapes??

One mans petty is another mans curiousity. I remember reading an article about people who detect lies by looking at language. Guys like OJ and Michael Jackson were shown to consistently use evasive or ambiguous language and habitually couched their denials in opinion rather than directly answering them. This Vrabel interview reminded me of that. IMO he's not answering the questions truthfully. Petty? Perhaps in the grand scheme of life on planet Earth. But then again, by that standard, so is just about everything on this board.

in other words, yes........this is petty

Set aside the microscope and give the guy some slack. Fans aren't even over it yet -- but he should be? Who knows, maybe he thought he'd retire as a Patriot in a couple of years then suddenly finds out he won't. When the business side of the sport rears it's ugly head, it can be an emotional adjustment for some. He's still wounded like the human being he is, yet he's handling the interview process like a pro. There's too much controversy in the NFL -- allow this subject to rest.

Umm, no he didn't. Here is his response according to the transcript posted by Christopher Price:

J D Sal

Again if you listened to the interview (not just reading the transcript but listen to the words that come out of his mouth) the dialogue is:

"You were one of the first guys they brought in back in 2001 from Pittsburg, and since then they talk about the "patriot way" what can you say about the "patriot way"?"

And he responds,

"I don't know you'd have to ask someone who's a patriot..." (its close to the end of the interview, he then goes on to actually answer the question with what has been in the transcript)

Last edited:

he then goes on to actually answer the question with what has been in the transcript)
In light of what he said, don't you think that little piece of information was kinda critical? And you left it out?

J D Sal

I can't believe a player traded on the tail end of his career is anything but ecstatic.

Especially a Patriot!

Shocked, I am...Shocked, I tell you!!

Last edited:

In light of what he said, don't you think that little piece of information was kinda critical? And you left it out?

J D Sal

I didn't think I needed to you already said that it is in the transcript... I was just referencing that the transcript DIDN'T quote his whole response and that the actual interview was different

Edit to add: Don't you think its important that the beginning of his actual answer be included not just the end? I mean he starts off with a snarky remark about not being a patriot and not wanting to talk about the patriot way... to me that says something more than what the transcript leaves us to believe

Last edited:
I didn't think I needed to you already said that it is in the transcript... I was just referencing that the transcript DIDN'T quote his whole response and that the actual interview was different

Edit to add: Don't you think its important that the beginning of his actual answer be included not just the end? I mean he starts off with a snarky remark about not being a patriot and not wanting to talk about the patriot way... to me that says something more than what the transcript leaves us to believe

Yes. I think what you shared actualy sheds a lot of light on his frame of mind regarding this subject. Good stuff man.

Thanks for indulging in a little pettiness with me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes. I think what you shared actualy sheds a lot of light on his frame of mind regarding this subject. Good stuff man.

Thanks for indulging in a little pettiness with me. :rolleyes:

My pleasure... if I happen to have/find anymore I'll be sure to pass along the pettiness, more pettiness for everyone!

yeah he's pissed. he loved it here. who wouldnt

My pleasure... if I happen to have/find anymore I'll be sure to pass along the pettiness, more pettiness for everyone!

Well...I guess your turning into quite the little typical mediot.

Belichick's stock answer for anyone asking him about another team is the same snarky one Vrabel uttered. Pioli had them leave the micro chip in, it was the real value in the trade for a 34 year old OLB.

If my lit. students had dissected a poem the way you guys attack sportsspeak, I'd have been one happy English teacher. Of course, when I'd push them a little to deal with the inferential level they'd get mad and claim I was seeing things that weren't there, that the meaning was right there on the literal level.

Obviously we can't tell anything about this siutation from his real language. On the other hand, his BODY LANGUAGE will tell us all we need to know. Lets get like 12-14 analysts on it. ;)

Put yourself in Vrabes' situation. You've contributed as much or more than anyone to a string of OUTSTANDING success at your endeavor. You were awarded a contract rewarding you for your contribution. Time passes and your job performance is markedly below what it used to be so the boss asks you to take a pay cut. From your perspective you've earned the money because of your strong contributions to the enterprise. The boss' view is that he needs the enterprise to continue with the very best possible allocation of resources (cap money and player talent) possible to succeed. End result is that the boss outplaces you, not to the street but to another enterprise willing to pay you what you feel you'd earned. Your pride takes a hit of course, whose wouldn't, but in truth you've been done a favor despite the business circumstances.

I don't fault Vrabes a bit for feeling some sense of unappreciation given the history. I think he's handling it better than most and with class. I wish him continued success and happiness and would love to give him a standing O should he visit Gillette in appreciation for what he gave us fans.

Last edited:

I meant your very first post. Where you just said the first line, misleadingly, to create the impression he was upset or something and then went on to leave out a very complimentary answer about the "patriot way". Pathetic on your part.

J D Sal

I meant your very first post. Where you just said the first line, misleadingly, to create the impression he was upset or something and then went on to leave out a very complimentary answer about the "patriot way". Pathetic on your part.

J D Sal

What my post said was to go and listen to the actual words that came out of his mouth since they were not all present on a transcript. Not pathetic at all...

Maybe pathetic that you are going after me making a point that a transcript left out a whole response to a question on a Q&A.

Put yourself in Vrabes' situation. You've contributed as much or more than anyone to a string of OUTSTANDING success at your endeavor. You were awarded a contract rewarding you for your contribution. Time passes and your job performance is markedly below what it used to be so the boss asks you to take a pay cut. From your perspective you've earned the money because of your strong contributions to the enterprise. The boss' view is that he needs the enterprise to continue with the very best possible allocation of resources (cap money and player talent) possible to succeed. End result is that the boss outplaces you, not to the street but to another enterprise willing to pay you what you feel you'd earned. Your pride takes a hit of course, whose wouldn't, but in truth you've been done a favor despite the business circumstances.

I don't fault Vrabes a bit for feeling some sense of unappreciation given the history. I think he's handling it better than most and with class. I wish him continued success and happiness and would love to give him a standing O should he visit Gillette in appreciation for what he gave us fans.

I think your explanation makes the most sense to me. I don't fault Vrabel for being frustrated by all this either. I'd be frustrated too.

Here's the thing for me. I can't remember a trade that had this much mystery and intrigue (not to mention national interest) surrounding it. For the last week a lot of people have been trying to figure out what really went down and why this trade happened the way it did. There has been a lot of questions about why Vrabel was thrown in-seemingly for nothing. After it went down, there was a lot of speculation about Vrabel's decline in performance last year not being worth his contract and this being a salary dump. Was he asked to restructure? If he was asked to take a pay cut and declined (seems like what happened), wasn't he aware of the likely consequences? Shouldn't he have been expecting to be cut or traded? Heck, is it possible he asked to be traded? Why was he asked if he wanted out of New England when it seems (to us) so obvious he would want to stay?

Whatever the answers to these questions and whatever your opinion of what went on behind the scenes, one would think that Vrabel's first public commentary on being involved in "the trade" would generate plenty of scrutiny for clues to those answers. I was surprised it was so "ho-hum nothing to see here, lets move on" for most in this thread when I found it fascinating and potentially revealing stuff.

why are we still on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes