PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

'Voted off the island': Inside Bill Belichick's failed job hunt (ESPN report)

In fairness to Kraft, Bill had four years of near total control post-Brady and could only muster a 29-38 record. He made some colossal mistakes. He picked, prepared and served up those teams. That kind of performance gets pretty much every coach fired.
Still amazing that the Pats went out and resigned some of these colossal mistakes?

What this normally means:

Bob prolly didn't give a glowing review. He also probably didn't say he's evil. Probably a nothing burger.

The amount of mental gymnastics y'all will do - on both sides - to run with your take is nauseating at this point. Phew.

I hope Bill gets another job, but whatever. At this point I just want the season to start (too far away!)

What this normally means:

Bob prolly didn't give a glowing review. He also probably didn't say he's evil. Probably a nothing burger.

The amount of mental gymnastics y'all will do - on both sides - to run with your take is nauseating at this point. Phew.

I hope Bill gets another job, but whatever. At this point I just want the season to start (too far away!)
Part of me wants to see him do a Brady and win somewhere else but another part of me wants him to stay ours and no one else should get him especially after passing on him this year.

Part of me wants to see him do a Brady and win somewhere else but another part of me wants him to stay ours and no one else should get him especially after passing on him this year.

Agreed. I'd love for one final "Bill Revenge Tour", I just wish it would've been with the Patriots, just as I was so happy to see Brady do it one more time. Against the Chiefs and Mahomes nonetheless :)

Can he put one together? That's another question, but I'm pretty damn confident that he has the acumen needed, more than any other coach in the league. He just sorely lacks in trusting and working with staffs he doesn't handpick/have a history with (which, as we know, is probably just as important - but something that could be turned around if he has been humbled)

BB will have an NFL HC job in 2025.

Bologna Bob does not have the street cred to black ball BB from the NFL.

Agreed. I'd love for one final "Bill Revenge Tour", I just wish it would've been with the Patriots, just as I was so happy to see Brady do it one more time. Against the Chiefs and Mahomes nonetheless :)

Can he put one together? That's another question, but I'm pretty damn confident that he has the acumen needed, more than any other coach in the league. He just sorely lacks in trusting and working with staffs he doesn't handpick/have a history with (which, as we know, is probably just as important - but something that could be turned around if he has been humbled)
It’s so much easier for a player to be successful on another team , “ plug and play”. A head coach brings a whole new dimension.

Gotta love BB.

He stays silent and just let's Kraft shoot his mouth off Rex Ryan style.We we all know that it never ends well.
As much as I agree, Father Time isn’t on Bills team I’m afraid.

Why didn't Kraft have this kind of vitriol for the NFL/Goodell when they bent over the franchise on a couple of occasions, including suspending Tommy Boy?
That's when I got off the Kraft wagon. Was very clear Kraft only looked out for Kraft. That is the truth for all owners though.

To what extent is Bob required to say nice things about Bill? I mean, he fired Bill for a reason. It's one thing at the press conference where they're announcing their mutual parting, but in private, shouldn't Bob be allowed to say what he wants?
Don't understand how people don't get this. When somebody asks you for feedback on a potential candidate that worked for you, are you just going to be 100% positive or honest? Most people will try to be objective because their word and reputation are involved.

Also find it funny how some are just dismissing it as lies after dismissing so many things over the last 7 or so years that turned out to be true.

Kraft probably provided his own assessment which would have included both positive and negative things. It's also quite obvious IMO that Kraft blames Bill on how the Brady thing went down and results since which was probably part of the feedback.

Finally as others have said, if they wanted Bill they would have hired him. References matter way less when you have a public body of work vs somebody you don't know much about. Don't see how 1 owner can blackball an accomplished coach. All owners would have to agree.

What kind of "close friend" would leak this?
I think of this everytime I read something like this. Happens often in sports it seems. I would never betray something a close friend tells me in confidence, let alone to the media.

Time and QB are working against him. But if the right spot opens up I would not doubt he can get another one.

It’s so much easier for a player to be successful on another team , “ plug and play”. A head coach brings a whole new dimension.

Definitely agree. Two completely different contexts.

Also, @rochrist what the hell lmao - I know you like McCarthy and I disagree with that, but how are you gonna dislike a post of mine that literally says "both are probably true" in this situation - eh, whatever.

I think of this everytime I read something like this. Happens often in sports it seems. I would never betray something a close friend tells me in confidence, let alone to the media.

Owners and NFL execs, and their circle, are borderline insane lmao.

Don't understand how people don't get this. When somebody asks you for feedback on a potential candidate that worked for you, are you just going to be 100% positive or honest? Most people will try to be objective because their word and reputation are involved.

Also find it funny how some are just dismissing it as lies after dismissing so many things over the last 7 or so years that turned out to be true.

Kraft probably provided his own assessment which would have included both positive and negative things. It's also quite obvious IMO that Kraft blames Bill on how the Brady thing went down and results since which was probably part of the feedback.

Finally as others have said, if they wanted Bill they would have hired him. References matter way less when you have a public body of work vs somebody you don't know much about. Don't see how 1 owner can blackball an accomplished coach. All owners would have to agree.
The problem is kraft went full campaign on BB with making that video series. It makes kraft look like a tool bag stuck in the past versus moving on.

Owners don’t want to win more than they like to make money. Owners being buddy buddy in a competitive sport is just dumb.
The Patriots have had losing records in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Let's be real, Bill didn't not get hired because teams don't care about winning. He didn't get hired because, as much as some people on this board hate to admit it, a lot of people within the NFL don't view Bill Belichick as someone who is guaranteed to bring you success. Whether they think it's an age thing, think Brady was more responsible or don't like his GM'ing in recent years and don't want to cede control is up for interpretation.

And it's not really hard to see why. Falcons fans might not like the HC they did hire, but even with Bill the fanbase was very split on the idea of him and so were most that he was rumored to be a fit for.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back