PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork...on WEEI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Wilfork's agent wishes you were running the Patriots. Just sign him. Give him whatever he wants, Even if he asks for double what Haynewsorth makes. Doesn't matter how it impacts signing Mankins or Ghost (if free agents this year) or Brady et al when free agents next year. Sign him. Don't use the franchise tag and upset him (even if it's within the teams rights and even if other teams use it). Why not just let him go with no compensation? That would be great for the franchise! The locker room would surely be better off without a rich but disgruntled franchised NT. Jeez.

I don't understand how the team gets better by letting him go or making him upset. I don't think they need to hand him a blank check, but I want them to go the distance to make sure he signs with us and is pleased with the deal

Losing good players with nobody to take their spot just doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me. Especially on our barren D line

Most folks agree that Wilfork is a top NT.

A franchise tag is average $$ of top 5.

Wilfork see's this as a slap in the face, as he is better than top 5.

My guess as most folks also, is that he is looking for top-1 $$.

If that is the case, franchise-tag him, and trade him for a 2011 #1 pick.

That would mean 3 #1 picks in 2011.

No it's good money for one year, he wants a several year contract. Not a "here's good money for a year and nothing past that"

Maybe he does think he's worth being the highest paid player but personally I think he just wants a good salary for what he brings to the table

It's really easy to undervalue a player after you've enjoyed success with them. Once/if he leaves I can only imagine the hoard of posters screaming for heads to roll

There is no franchise tags for NT's. The tag is for all DT's. A top 3-4 NT is worth more than a top 3-4 DT.

Seriously, sometimes I am ashamed of being a Pats fan for the unrealistic expectations and sense of entitlement of the fans. One bad year (and when I say bad year we are talking a 10 win season and an AFC East title) and the fans are ready to turn on Belichick and Kraft.

Rob, you have nothing to be ashamed about - you get it.

Countless numbers of others on this board just don't and they never will.

I fully trust the organization knows exactly what they are doing and they certainly have the track record that proves it.

Please wake up people, has it been that long since the Grier days and the pre-Kraft era that your memories are gone??

Spend a year in Detriot and that just might remind you.

Vince need to get a friggin clue. The Franchise tag pays you the average of the Top 5 salaries at your position. Thinking that means you are only "OK" is a friggin insult to the team and shows that hisr being in the league 6 years hasn't taught him a damn thing.

Ans his whining ab out the 6 year deal is pathetic also. Cry me a river, Vince. You got a good contract with that 6 year deal. You had more incentives in your deal than others had in theirs. And you made many of them.

The agents for these players really love to make their players look like greedy bastards by filling their heads with this non-sense.

I hope the Pats DO franchise his arse after he dumb comments today. Especially with his thinking that being paid as one of the top 5 players of your position is only "OK".

If they trade Wilfork, it should be for a 2010 1st round pick AND a 2011 1st round pick. Nothing less.

Vince need to get a friggin clue. The Franchise tag pays you the average of the Top 5 salaries at your position. Thinking that means you are only "OK" is a friggin insult to the team and shows that hisr being in the league 6 years hasn't taught him a damn thing.

Ans his whining ab out the 6 year deal is pathetic also. Cry me a river, Vince. You got a good contract with that 6 year deal. You had more incentives in your deal than others had in theirs. And you made many of them.

The agents for these players really love to make their players look like greedy bastards by filling their heads with this non-sense.

I hope the Pats DO franchise his arse after he dumb comments today. Especially with his thinking that being paid as one of the top 5 players of your position is only "OK".

Wilfork's right about his 6 year deal.

Pats should just tell Wilfork they will franchise him and attempt to trade him to give the big man some peace of mind. Keeping this guy in limbo is gonna create an ugly situation. After what he's done here in NE, he deserves at least to be spoken to right away. That way the Pats can continue their comical neverending quest to acquire value picks in future drafts.

Last edited:
There is no franchise tags for NT's. The tag is for all DT's. A top 3-4 NT is worth more than a top 3-4 DT.

But how much more? I'll be honest. He's top 10 in the 4-3 DTs, and top 5 in NTs. But I am pretty sure we can all agree that he's NOT the best NT in the league. Nor is he the best DT in the league. So, I do not see any reason to think that the Franchise Tag for a DT wouldn't be a good level for him to be at. And it's definitely NOT an insult as he proclaims. His BS opinion on that shows he's not learned a damn thing since he's been in this league.

Wilfork's right about his 6 year deal.

Cry me a river. He didn't have to sign the damn thing. And I am right about the fact that his contract paid him very well because of the incentives he reached.

It doesn't change the fact that he's an idiot for thinking that the Franchise tag means that he's only considered an "OK" player.

We can start wherever we want. As I recall Cassell was worth 2 firsts. Get used to Wilfork not participating in any practices and showing up the Wednesday before Game 1, OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE a one year deal, no 2011 frachise tag and no compensation to the patriots.

If they trade Wilfork, it should be for a 2010 1st round pick AND a 2011 1st round pick. Nothing less.

Re: Vince Wilfork....on WEEI...

This also won't help with bringing in potential free agents, seeing as how they treat their players when it comes to contract negotiations. Wilfork is definitely worth signing long term.

The Pats have gone out of their way with many players to get long term deals signed. The players who refused to negotiate when the Pats approached them (Branch, Law) or who had unrealistic expectations (Branch, Samuel, Givens to a lesser extent) are the ones who didn't get contracts.

The Pats actually are one of the better teams in how they treat players.

We can start wherever we want. As I recall Cassell was worth 2 firsts. Get used to Wilfork not participating in any practices and showing up the Wednesday before Game 1, OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE a one year deal, no 2011 frachise tag and no compensation to the patriots.

Wrong. The Pats would get a 3rd round comp pick for Wilfork.. Which is hardly worth a damn thing.

And Cassel was worth 2 1st round picks. But the Pats needed the 18 million in cap space as well. They don't have to worry about that this year.

Wilfork will act within his rights. The patriots will act within theirs. Wilfork can be happy with the franchise tag OFFER amount for a NEW one-year deal, or NOT. And since he will NOT be under contract to the patriots until he signs, there is no agreement with regard to public conduct.

There is absolutely no reason to expect that Wilfork will sign a tag before the draft or tell the media that he is happy with a franchise tag. Wilfork will not be out any money (other than fines for not attending camp) until the week before the first game, when I would expect him to come to practice. Those are his rights.

If the team wants MORE than this from Wilfork, they will need to do something. Obviously, the deal with Samuel was for the player to sign a one-year contract with a no-franchise for the next year.

Cry me a river. He didn't have to sign the damn thing. And I am right about the fact that his contract paid him very well because of the incentives he reached.

It doesn't change the fact that he's an idiot for thinking that the Franchise tag means that he's only considered an "OK" player.

Wilfork will act within his rights. The patriots will act within theirs. Wilfork can be happy with the franchise tag OFFER amount for a NEW one-year deal, or NOT. And since he will NOT be under contract to the patriots until he signs, there is no agreement with regard to public conduct.

There is absolutely no reason to expect that Wilfork will sign a tag before the draft or tell the media that he is happy with a franchise tag. Wilfork will not be out any money (other than fines for not attending camp) until the week before the first game, when I would expect him to come to practice. Those are his rights.

If the team wants MORE than this from Wilfork, they will need to do something. Obviously, the deal with Samuel was for the player to sign a one-year contract with a no-franchise for the next year.

Nothing you wrote had anything to do with what I said. But thanks for throwing up your comments... :rolleyes:

I understand Wilfork's comment about being an "OK player" completely.

What he's saying is that he considers himself a great player, and great players are generally valued by their team enough to earn a long-term deal with a signing bonus.

He feels that being tagged with a one year franchise deal may pay him among the top at the position, but only for one year, which he feels is what an "ok" player would deserve.

It's obvious that his feeling is that great players are valued by their team for more than just the next season. I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. Maybe his choice of words could have been better but I think it's pretty clear. I think some people are being obtuse about this point on purpose.

Are you saying that you don't understand how to get more than a 3rd round comp pick for Wilfork if
1) Wilfork has teams that he want to play for.
2) The team is willing to trade him for a first.
3) There are teams outside our division who are willing to pay us a first for Wilfork.

Nothing you wrote had anything to do with what I said. But thanks for throwing up your comments... :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that you give WIlfork whatever he wants, that's what negotiations are for. I just think the franchise tag is a crummy way to do business with someone who has contributed so much to the team AND been happy playing here (unlike AD).

And the 1 year deal for franchise tag is a GOOD deal, BUT a football player's career can end in 1 play, so I can see why he is looking for a LONG term deal.

Unfortunately the NFL designates them at DT's. It's a gray area as there are only 11 starting NT's at any given time. That is a small pool to factor the average of the top 5. Of those 11 he is definitely in the top 3, he is probably the best fit for us, Shaun Rodgers had a great year in 2008, was injured this year and Rubin filled in very well for him. So well in fact they are thinking about moving Rodgers to DE. So I'm not sure if his drop of production was a product of him being a mental ***** and pouting over Eric's hiring or if it was due to injury. Hampton and Williams are old. Ian Scott seems Ok. Pouha was a stud this year, but needs another year or two of production to prove he is consistent. Raji looks like he has a lot of potential as well. Putting 1-gap and 2-gap aside I see the top 3 in no particular order like this:

Wilfork
Rodgers: in 2008 signed a six year 42 million extension with 20 guaranteed.
Ratliff: in 2007 signed a 5 year 20 million extension with 8 mil in bonus money.

Pouha gets an honorable mention, he was a beast this season especially in the playoffs. As does Franklin.

Last year's DT figure was 6 millon, (couldn't find this year's tag number, not sure if it was announced). Haynesworth's contract shouldn't bump that up much, unless bonus money is included in the tag, which I don't think is the case. Haynesworth's salary was 6 million in 2009. He did receive 21 million in bonus money.

And with all do respect to Wilfork, not only was Haynesworth deal ridiculous, but he is a much more dynamic player - when motivated of course.

A reasonable contract IMO would be in this range

4 years 28-32 million with 14-16 mil guaranteed. If he performs well and stays healthy he can still see one more decent payday and he gets fair market value 7-8 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes