PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings and Cassel: $30 million big ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is no love lost between brad childress and BB so i dont think they will make this deal. i kinda hope for his own sake he doesn't go to minn because childress sucks.
i expect tampa ,maybe carolina now,SFO,detriot to be the front runners.

since it's an NFC team, I don't think that "love" will come into the equation if the picks are right.

I think Matt is a team player, but remember this could be his only chance to make this type of money so he defintely going to look out for himself. He should take a policy similiar to what Romo took out so that if after he signs the franchise tag he can insure himself for the $30M. I see us trading him to a team where we can get a starter on defense(veteren, 5 years or less), a first round draft pick this year and a 3rd round next year. I am confident that Brady will be back and BB is looking for vengance against the AFC East.

On another note, I want to the Giants to lose and PITT to lose. If this happens today, I will be very content with the offseason. Who cares about Arizona, Baltimore, Philadephia, or San Diego??????? :eek:

Belichick isn't a child, he'll deal with Childress if that's who comes to him. However I don't expect the Patriots to talk trade, especially early. I expect them to put the non exclusive franchise tag on Cassel. Let someone sign him for two #1s or keep him well into the offseason.

But then the Pats are limited in what they can do in terms of their own money since they effectively have $14 million less in cap room to operate with.

But then the Pats are limited in what they can do in terms of their own money since they effectively have $14 million less in cap room to operate with.
Yes they are. I'm not saying it's perfect and I'd be thrilled to get something good for Cassel but they can make some small acquisitions, have a couple extra picks (already have them) and be safe and secure at QB. Then if Brady is looking good in July and we can trade him, we'll have $15M to throw at the big 2010 UFA group on our own team.

That's what I EXPECT. I would trade Cassel and sign a Jeff Garcia in case Brady is behind and O'Connell isn't ready.

People keep saying this, so let me ask a simple question:

If the Patriots "only" have $6-8 million to sign a free agent in, say, the first week or so of free agency before they trade Cassel, how exactly does that hinder them? Who is this season's A.D. that they'll have to pass on due to money constraints?

Cassel knows and has stated the Pats gave him his chance, so I cannot see him upset over taking $14.6 million for one season knowing he would be up for the same signing bonus the next year (that one-year salary will provide a degree of security in the event of injury).

He has not displayed a Samuel-type personality, so I would be surprised if the quiet, humble one suddenly shifts to "get paid" mode. As a QB and an offensive/team leader, shaking the franchise to benefit yourself does not make yourself marketable, so I would be amazed if Cassel protested one year with the tag. If the Pats try to trade him and the team looking to trade for him demands restructuring (the franchise value is a pretty big number to eat and provides only a one-year promise before free agency), that would be where I expect Cassel to protest. At that point, the Pats are no longer his team and he is simply a commodity, protecting his own interests and not those of his former team looking only to get the most it can in exchange for him.

I disagree. Maybe you're a lot richer than I am, but the difference between a guaranteed $14.6 mill and a guaranteed $30.0 mill would get my attention if I thought I could get the latter and be protected against the consequences of a catastrophic injury.

As for the "get paid" mentality, what are these guys supposed to do? They're young, have a limited "shelf life" and possess a skill that is only in demand as long as they are healthy. In other words, they aren't Stephen Hawkings' who can rock the world from a wheelchair.

Is Mr. Cassel supposed to play into our fantasies of "team loyalty" and not secure his financial future and the future of his family? His first responsibility is, indeed, to "protect his own interests."

If Matt goes down with a career-ending injury in game one next season, will Bob Kraft pay him the $15 million he could have gotten on the market out of the goodness of his heart? I don't think so. This is a business. Matt Cassel has a limited window of opportunity. It is not at all selfish of him to do everything in his power to maximize that for himself.

I just don't think that calling these guys selfish or whatever because they are looking out for their own interests is fair or correct.

Last edited:
People keep saying this, so let me ask a simple question:

If the Patriots "only" have $6-8 million to sign a free agent in, say, the first week or so of free agency before they trade Cassel, how exactly does that hinder them? Who is this season's A.D. that they'll have to pass on due to money constraints?

people say this, but can't you backload a contract with let's say a roster bonus for next year? i realize people want signing bonuses, but just because they have only 6-8 million as you are saying, i think they can still make noise in free agency. they just need one or two to make a big impact.

I disagree. Maybe you're a lot richer than I am, but the difference between a guaranteed $14.6 mill and a guaranteed $30.0 mill would get my attention if I thought I could get the latter and be protected against the consequences of a catastrophic injury.

As for the "get paid" mentality, what are these guys supposed to do? They're young, have a limited "shelf life" and possess a skill that is only in demand as long as they are healthy. In other words, they aren't Stephen Hawkings' who can rock the world from a wheelchair.

Is Mr. Cassel supposed to play into our fantasies of "team loyalty" and not secure his financial future and the future of his family? His first responsibility is, indeed, to "protect his own interests."

If Matt goes down with a career-ending injury in game one next season, will Bob Kraft pay him the $15 million he could have gotten on the market out of the goodness of his heart? I don't think so. This is a business. Matt Cassel has a limited window of opportunity. It is not at all selfish of him to do everything in his power to maximize that for himself.

I just don't think that calling these guys selfish or whatever because they are looking out for their own interests is fair or correct.

Excellent post...people who think that Matt Cassel wouldn't look out for "his own interests" and not of the N.E. Patriots are just hypocrites typical football fans.

One year at $14 million dollars will keep his family rich for generations unless they piss away the cash. This notion that players who make millions of dollars are somehow in need of more money for the sake of their families is just about as inaccurate as it's humanly possible to be. I'm not busting on Cassel or any player who wants a big contract, but this notion that it's about feeding the family just sticks in my craw.

Last edited:
1. The link doesn't work for me either. It brings up a failed attempt to link to patsfans.com instead.

2. Payments usually aren't made on contracts -- even guaranteed ones -- until the season starts. As soon as Cassell is traded, the cap hit goes away.

3. $14 million for one year is overpaying for Cassell. For him to negotiate that away, he'll probably insist on at least a fair contract, not a concessionary one. However ...

4. ... fortunately for us, the uncapped-year scenario creates the possibility that if he takes the $14 million for one year, he'll lose negotiating power and be forced to take below-market rates the following season.

5. This is a three-way negotiation -- Pats, Cassell, and his preferred future team. Each wants to extract the most value while leaving the other two to divide up the rest.

6. Based on the excerpt, the $30 million and draft pick estimates are just a loosely-based guess, rather than significant new information, even of the founded-rumor variety.

7. Childress has really thrown some public insults at BB. But I doubt he's the negotiating decision-maker, so I doubt it's a big issue.

8. The Vikings front office is famous both for screw-ups (missed picks on draft day) and playing hardball (Steve Hutchinson poison pill).

people say this, but can't you backload a contract with let's say a roster bonus for next year?

A off-season roster bonus in 2010 would be treating as a signing bonus in 2009.

Last edited:
4. ... fortunately for us, the uncapped-year scenario creates the possibility that if he takes the $14 million for one year, he'll lose negotiating power and be forced to take below-market rates the following season.

Please explain.

Understood. But, if he's playing while negotiating, he's still risking a career-ending or -limiting injury every play.

FWIW - A team has until July 15th to sign their franchise player to a long-term deal. IIRC, July 15th is before training camps start.

First, I didn't call him selfish for looking out for his own interests (As stated, if he is traded only a fool would look out for his former team. That team would trade him to a team without an offensive line if it offers enough return, as a result of which he could be ended for good in one game. Cassel would be well within his rights to refuse to restructure his contract, an action which could well serve as a dealbreaker in the trade and play out the year with the Pats.). Asante got tagged and threatened to hold-out until he got concessions in the way of an agreement not to tag him again. That hurts the team, hurts individual marketability (displaying an "I'll play when I feel like it" approach) and ultimately if called by the team puts that player under the same contract he failed to fulfill in holding out. As it is a violation of the CBA, it fuels animosity due to fines levied against the player. Most players abide by the CBA acknowledging it to be the rules of the game, few violate those rules.

Second, I grasp the concept of injuries and why a player wants money now rather than later. I know Cassel would rather have $30 million in his hand now rather than $14.6 million. My point was he has a decent chunk of change in hand to live off of (I am not rich but I suspect I could invest $14.6 million less taxes and retire on that without living in a refrigerator box and eating cat food) should anything happen to him injury-wise. I do not begrudge him that obvious motivation, nor do I call him selfish for wanting that money. The point is Cassel is not asked to accept the franchise tag - he is ordered to accept it under the CBA. He is a smart guy and knows he can either (1) hold out (that worked out well for Brady Quinn with his rookie contract) and try to force the team's hand or (2) accept the money and the risk of injury and play for the subsequent year's contract (which if he shows he is a team player, plays as many games as needed and further proves himself which may mean an even larger contract). And Cassel survived this year injury-free. Brady went 7 years without a major injury. If Cassel rolls the dice for one year, what are the odds he has a career altering injury, certainly in a season in which he likely plays only a few games (and yes, I know Brady was hurt in the first game but it was actually 7 seasons and 1 game given his consecutive game streak)? Does that probability justify proving you will fight the organization to further your own interests and after a season of success you have become a malcontent? I wouldn't call that a prudent decision.

Finally, NFL contracting blows as it is entirely one-sided. Players protect themselves with bonuses as everything else is illusory. I expect players to negotiate for what they are worth and to maximize guaranteed money. Veterans who have played for all the money they need can return for minimums or less than market value to attain career goals if they want to do so. Until they reach that point, get your money if you can. With that said, any shrewd negotiator knows a player's value is more than statistics and at least some of your value is in locker room presence/team temperament. My opinion is Cassel will acknowledge that consideration and take a decent paycheck knowing his doing so will likely put him further ahead (expecting the same bonus next year he would have received this year) than he otherwise would be had he taken the initial free agent deal.

Last edited:
The patriots can't afford the $14M cap hit until July unless the patriots are planning to keep Cassel because Brady isn't ready for the beginning of the season. Even then, the patriots would be better of spending $5M on a one-year contract with a veteran.

I expect that Cassel will not be a patriot on March 25th (one month before the draft). My hope is that Cassel won't be a patriot on March 1st.

FWIW - A team has until July 15th to sign their franchise player to a long-term deal. IIRC, July 15th is before training camps start.

I am not rich but I suspect I could invest $14.6 million less taxes and retire on that without living in a refrigerator box and eating cat food

Perhaps, but you're understating by less than you probably think.

Taxes + inflation makes the utterly-secure return on wealth very, very small.

Now, it's prudent to also bank on drawing down your capital, as long as you're really planning to do so over a long period of time (say a century give or take, anticipating future medical advances). A one-time payday of $14 million is enough to ensure annual lifetime after-tax available money in the low six figures.

But it's an assurance of being very-upper-middle-class, not an assurance of being filthy-rich.

I like Cassel and I think that he's a good QB. That being said...I don't care how good your QB is, if you can't STOP the opposing team CONSISTENTLY in this league, a team will struggle to win games. WE NEED TO REBUILD OUR DEFENSE. Watching these teams in the playoffs made me even more sure about my opinion. All of these teams who are in the playoffs have very good to great defenses. Our defense was decent but there were a lot of weaknesses that would have been EXPOSED in the playoffs by a good football team, IMO. We are not going to win another Championship until we build our defense back up to a Championship level. If the Patriots can work out a Reasonable contract with Cassel and still add some good football players to our defense, GREAT. If they can't, then they should franchise him and try to trade him. I just don't want our team to have to settle for the Deltha O'Neals of the world because we can't afford to pay for good TALENT on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST