PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings and Cassel: $30 million big ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reporting suggests that in an uncapped 2010, Cassell would not be a UFA.

Those reports fail to note that in order to tender Cassel as a RFA in 2010 the Pats have to tender him 110% of his 2009 salary (110% of 14.6 million is a good deal of money)

Those reports fail to note that in order to tender Cassel as a RFA in 2010 the Pats have to tender him 110% of his 2009 salary (110% of 14.6 million is a good deal of money)

Miguel, thanks for the info. It looks like there might be a few contract adjustments, if they plan on Franchising Cassel. It's not going to be CHEAP.

After last night, I think the Panthers might be looking at Cassel too...

The patriots can't afford the $14M cap hit until July unless the patriots are planning to keep Cassel because Brady isn't ready for the beginning of the season. Even then, the patriots would be better of spending $5M on a one-year contract with a veteran.

I expect that Cassel will not be a patriot on March 25th (one month before the draft). My hope is that Cassel won't be a patriot on March 1st.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!

After last night, I think the Panthers might be looking at Cassel too...

Jake has been pretty good in the playoffs prior to that game. But to Jake's credit, he preempted any debate that his performance was not as bad as it may have looked at first. Total meltdown.

Charley Walters is the "National Enquirer" of the St Paul Pioneer Press sports section, take what he writes with a huge grain of salt....he's wrong far more often than he's right.

The Vikings have spent a ton of money on free agents since the Wilf's took ownership of the franchise. The team badly needs a new stadium to increase revenue, but no new stadium is in sight (especially in this economy). The Vikings playoff game sold out at the last second, when 2 years ago it would have been sold out immediately. The Wilf's may want to win bad enough to pay out huge money to Cassel, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they tighten the purse strings this offseason.

That said, the more teams that are interested in Matt, the higher the eventual return for the Patriots.

Understood. They could get Cassel and cut Delhomme for close to a direct cap substitution if they wanted, though, the way long term contracts are often low impact for the first year or two.

Regardless, Carolina doesn't have their #1.

Peppers for Cassel? I could see a sign and trade for both.
DW Toys

first and second rounders, thnx

thnx matt see ya in mn

One year at $14 million dollars will keep his family rich for generations unless they piss away the cash. This notion that players who make millions of dollars are somehow in need of more money for the sake of their families is just about as inaccurate as it's humanly possible to be. I'm not busting on Cassel or any player who wants a big contract, but this notion that it's about feeding the family just sticks in my craw.

I take your point, but I think you've misinterpreted what I mean by my reference to "families." I would dispute that $14 million after tax and expenses will take care of "generations" as well as $30 mill would.

NFL Players, especially in the so-called "skill positions," are professionals with a very high level of ability in their particular area of expertise. To get where they have gotten has taken a lot of hard work, discipline and probably a little luck, as in many walks of life. I look on these guys as no different than any other professionals in our society who have marketable skills at a very high level of performance, be it in acting, singing, sports or any other discipline.

They have every right to maximize the potential that their skills allow in their own lives. They also have every right to be aggressive about doing just that. They have the right to not only make money but to build wealth for themselves and their progeny, which is the meaning of my reference to "families."

Of course their families are going to "eat" on six, seven and eight figure salaries. I'm talking about their right to use their skills to build wealth that will impact future generations. The window of opportunity for a guy like Matt Cassel to do that is limited. If the rules of the CBA give him that chance, he should do just that.

Last edited:
To be clear--Cassel CAN sign the franchise tag and still renegotiate a longer deal with the Patriots; it's not an either/or situation.

correct, but if he signs the franchise deal, then he can no longer negotiate with other teams

First, I didn't call him selfish for looking out for his own interests (As stated, if he is traded only a fool would look out for his former team. That team would trade him to a team without an offensive line if it offers enough return, as a result of which he could be ended for good in one game. Cassel would be well within his rights to refuse to restructure his contract, an action which could well serve as a dealbreaker in the trade and play out the year with the Pats.). Asante got tagged and threatened to hold-out until he got concessions in the way of an agreement not to tag him again. That hurts the team, hurts individual marketability (displaying an "I'll play when I feel like it" approach) and ultimately if called by the team puts that player under the same contract he failed to fulfill in holding out. As it is a violation of the CBA, it fuels animosity due to fines levied against the player. Most players abide by the CBA acknowledging it to be the rules of the game, few violate those rules.

Second, I grasp the concept of injuries and why a player wants money now rather than later. I know Cassel would rather have $30 million in his hand now rather than $14.6 million. My point was he has a decent chunk of change in hand to live off of (I am not rich but I suspect I could invest $14.6 million less taxes and retire on that without living in a refrigerator box and eating cat food) should anything happen to him injury-wise. I do not begrudge him that obvious motivation, nor do I call him selfish for wanting that money. The point is Cassel is not asked to accept the franchise tag - he is ordered to accept it under the CBA. He is a smart guy and knows he can either (1) hold out (that worked out well for Brady Quinn with his rookie contract) and try to force the team's hand or (2) accept the money and the risk of injury and play for the subsequent year's contract (which if he shows he is a team player, plays as many games as needed and further proves himself which may mean an even larger contract). And Cassel survived this year injury-free. Brady went 7 years without a major injury. If Cassel rolls the dice for one year, what are the odds he has a career altering injury, certainly in a season in which he likely plays only a few games (and yes, I know Brady was hurt in the first game but it was actually 7 seasons and 1 game given his consecutive game streak)? Does that probability justify proving you will fight the organization to further your own interests and after a season of success you have become a malcontent? I wouldn't call that a prudent decision.

Finally, NFL contracting blows as it is entirely one-sided. Players protect themselves with bonuses as everything else is illusory. I expect players to negotiate for what they are worth and to maximize guaranteed money. Veterans who have played for all the money they need can return for minimums or less than market value to attain career goals if they want to do so. Until they reach that point, get your money if you can. With that said, any shrewd negotiator knows a player's value is more than statistics and at least some of your value is in locker room presence/team temperament. My opinion is Cassel will acknowledge that consideration and take a decent paycheck knowing his doing so will likely put him further ahead (expecting the same bonus next year he would have received this year) than he otherwise would be had he taken the initial free agent deal.

Well-argued.

But, it all depends on the reference point and the comparables. Matt Cassell is at the pinnacle of a multi, multi billion dollar business. As such, capitalism allows folks like him to make a whole freakin' boatload of money. $14 million isn't chump change, but he's a guy who can make a whole lot more and he should go for it.

Peppers for Cassel? I could see a sign and trade for both.
DW Toys

Is Peppers a 3-4 player though? I don't think he is.

People keep saying this, so let me ask a simple question:

If the Patriots "only" have $6-8 million to sign a free agent in, say, the first week or so of free agency before they trade Cassel, how exactly does that hinder them? Who is this season's A.D. that they'll have to pass on due to money constraints?

Because according to Miguels salary cap page they are at approximately $19M. Take away $14.6M, is only $4.4M.

That's not even close to enough to re-sign our own guys.

We don't need a big time FA, but 2-3 mid-grade signings sure could help.

Because according to Miguels salary cap page they are at approximately $19M. Take away $14.6M, is only $4.4M.

That's not even close to enough to re-sign our own guys.

We don't need a big time FA, but 2-3 mid-grade signings sure could help.

No offense, but my question is about who the hot (A.D. level) free agents are that the Patriots will miss out on. Lower level free agents will be available throughout the free agency period. I'm sorry if poor wording made it confusing.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Warner's performance yesterday made it all but certain that he'll be back in Arizona next season.

If the Cardinals win the Super Bowl, there's no way he's playing anymore.

Is Peppers a 3-4 player though? I don't think he is.

Peppers is the kind of guy you design a defense around. That said, the Panthers aren't going to move him, not for Cassel, not for anyone short of Brady or Manning.

Last edited:
No offense, but my question is about who the hot (A.D. level) free agents are that the Patriots will miss out on. Lower level free agents will be available throughout the free agency period. I'm sorry if poor wording made it confusing.

Uh, let's see:

Julius Peppers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Will Smith, Dunta Robinson, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, Brian Dawkins, Mike Brown, to name a few.

If the Cardinals win the Super Bowl, there's no way he's playing anymore.

Peppers is the kind of guy you design a defense around. That said, the Panthers aren't going to move him, not for Cassel, not for anyone short of Brady or Manning.

Man, Peppers would be AWESOME on the Pats' D. He might be a 4-3 DE, but Carolina has always taken advantage of the versatility that his incredible speed and agility for his size allows. He's way more than just an edge rusher -- he drops into coverage, he's disruptive against the run, and a terror of a pass-rusher from inside and out.

On the Pats D, I could see BB lining him up at DE, OLB, ILB, and at DT on some passing downs.

Uh, let's see:

Julius Peppers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Will Smith, Dunta Robinson, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, Brian Dawkins, Mike Brown, to name a few.

Peppers is a 4-3 DE, and wouldn't fit in New England. He also may be franchised.

Suggs will be franchised again if need be, according to what I hear

Lewis is expected to be re-signed and has reportedly been close to a 5 year deal for some time.

Dawkins is 35 and is not an A.D. type signing at this point in his career.

Mike Brown isn't close to an A.D. signing.

I don't see Scott on that A.D. level either, although we can agree to disagree

Asomugha is one that I'd agree with you on, if I didn't think that he'll be franchised.

I just don't see the big deal about not having the money for the first week or so, since the Patriots generally don't seem to like jumping into that initial feeding frenzy anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News