PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very few teams would have shown class like the Patriots did sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't understand why everyone is debating if this was a mercy play. It was from my perspective and who cares what others think !!! Everyone has a agenda or perspective on the play or the Pats for that matter, who cares LOL

Pats showed grace in the end !! FROM MY PRESPECTIVE !!

Note to others. Nothing you say will change my perspective ;-)

Yay!! The Pats showed grace by not being complete douchebags and running up the score.

Last edited:
I think we all realize that. That's why we feel sorry for you instead of hating you.

You spend your time feeling sorry (or hating) people over a game that has no real significance or meaning in the real world? That's kind of pathetic. Put your energy into something productive and useful. To me this is all amusement and fun. I don't hate or feel sorry for anyone over something so insignificant.

Last edited:
Ironically, what I'm having trouble finding is other games with a 5-score lead halfway through the 4th where the winning team didn't throw the ball or score again. I'm working my way back week by week (most weeks nobody manages a 5-score lead.)

Let's see, 2006 wk 15: Steelers vs. Panthers, Steelers up by 31 with 4:05 remaining, Steelers kick a short field goal. Didn't I just hear that EVERY team runs on 4th down in that situation? ;)

I am gonna be real honest here. I dont give a crap how mercifull our team is, who gives a crap about the other team? Why does anyone care how nice they are to the other team? I want them to bury the other team every step of the way. Light them up like Vegas. if the coach decides to take starters out to protect them (and thats the main reason why they do it) then so be it. Otherwise lets see a good ACC vs mid major conference football game here. WOO HOOO. BTW when it was happening to the pats back in the 80's-90's no one gave us a break so screw em

There are good reasons not to humiliate an opponent. Coaches and gms rely on their relationships with other teams to make trades happen, and in personnel moves such as the one that landed Garrett Mills in Minnesota. Also, a coach humiliated now is likely to seek revenge later. Of course, for Belichick, there is probably also the desire to show respect to other coaches with whom he has personal relationships.

You spend your time feeling sorry (or hating) people over a game that has no real significance or meaning in the real world? That's kind of pathetic. Put your energy into something productive and useful.

You mean like spending time on a rival's website making pointless arguments. That doesn't sound pathetic at all.

Ironically, what I'm having trouble finding is other games with a 5-score lead halfway through the 4th where the winning team didn't throw the ball or score again. I'm working my way back week by week (most weeks nobody manages a 5-score lead.)

Let's see, 2006 wk 15: Steelers vs. Panthers, Steelers up by 31 with 4:05 remaining, Steelers kick a short field goal. Didn't I just hear that EVERY team runs on 4th down in that situation? ;)

You go, patchick! :woohoo:

Didn't I just hear that EVERY team runs on 4th down in that situation? ;)

Who said no one kicks a FG on 4th down late in a game with a big lead? If a team wants to work on their kick protection in a live game situation a FG is not really offensive late in a game if it's 4th down and you are in FG range, although it is questionable. Throwing the ball down the field and throwing with the intent of scoring a touchdown with 4 minutes left and a huge lead is really what we are talking about here and the Pats do not deserve props for not running up the score with 4 minutes left. That's the whole basis of this thread.

This thread started because someone wanted the media to give the team a pat on the back for not being jerks and running up the score. No one deserves props for that. That's like saying someone should be praised for not kicking their dog when they go home after a bad day at the office.

Last edited:
You mean like spending time on a rival's website making pointless arguments. That doesn't sound pathetic at all.

About as pathetic as you responding? ;)

Bingo!
I was wondering why these a-holes are still here, but then I realized that the Chargers board is probably not a very fun place to be right about now.
LMAO!

About as pathetic as you responding? ;)

Point taken.

Oh, BTW, I thought were awful on American Idol. I'm glad to see you found a new "career".

Well, at least someone read the thread. I look forward to seeing what you find.

EDIT: *Sorta* read the thread. No one said anything about kicking FGs. This is about running up the score.

Last edited:
Has anybody brought up the fact that the Pats are planning to score 38 every game this season, just to demonstrate that they have that much control of the ball game?

Okay okay, 2 is coincidence, 3 is creepy. 4...? I dunno. I see 38 points this weekend and I'll actually believe that.

PFnV

Man...this is too easy, I thought it was obvious to everybody watching the game.

Yes...Jauron and Bill go back a ways and this relationship played a part in just running up the gut on a beat up Bill's defense.

Yes...running the ball takes time off of the clock and up the gut dives are less risky for injuries normally.

Why piss off a team you see twice a year?

Lastly....did you notice that the Bills just ran the clock out too....no timeouts...no passes....game over....lets just both get out of here with no more injuries and see you later in the year....GG.

Did you notice the long handshake and conversation with Bill and Jauron after the game...seemed very warm and normal.

Now that I looked at the game log, that wasn't even close to running up the score.

Santonio Holmes returned a punt 15 seconds into the 4th to put them up by 31. When Pitt got it back, they got it at Carolina's 40 with 13:21 left and then proceded to run 13 plays (11 runs, 2 short passes) that ran 9 minutes off the clock. To finish the drive they ran it on 3rd and 10 from the Carolina 10, then kicked the FG.

That's textbook running out the clock.

Hey, here's another reason why this thread is Stupid with a capital S...

The Pats went for it on 4th and 1 at the SD 3 with 3:18 left and up by 17. How merciful!!! These guys are saints!!!

:rolleyes:

Well, at least someone read the thread. I look forward to seeing what you find.

EDIT: *Sorta* read the thread. No one said anything about kicking FGs. This is about running up the score.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

From the ORIGINAL POST:
It showed class and a willing team to not have to be a stats monger like when Gostkowski would have had that FG or Brady with a #5 TD pass in that last Patriots drive deep in Buffalo territory

The FIRST RESPONSE in the thread:

Oh geeze. Who "goes for the jugular" when they are up 31 in the 4th? Nobody. Anyone who kicks a FG or goes for a TD in that situation should be tar and feathered and run out of the league and you are saying the Pats should be praised for doing what is common sense?

What's that about not reading the thread again? :)

What's that about not reading the thread again? :)

I didn't see that post. Sometimes it makes sense to kick a FG when you're up big. That's not running up the score.

I didn't see that post. Sometimes it makes sense to kick a FG when you're up big. That's not running up the score.

But..."that post" was the original post in the thread! Suggesting that many/most teams would have at least kicked a FG in that situation. What are we arguing about, then? :confused:

But..."that post" was the original post in the thread! Suggesting that many/most teams would have at least kicked a FG in that situation. What are we arguing about, then? :confused:

That's the thing: it's a slippery argument here. You've provided instances that met his criteria, but something always pops up, e.g., FGs aren't running up the score, neither are rushing TDs.

The keyword here is score. With 4:30 left on the clock, up by 31, Pitt had to kick a FG? No. They should have run the ball on 4th down into the middle of the pile.

That's it: I'm done. You can't offer a challenge to others, have it met, then change the rules of the challenge. Pats and Bills worked together to put an end to a game that was decided before time ran out. The original idea of this thread was that it was nice that, given the Bills' tough outing, the Pats didn't score a late TD. That was it; it seemed like a decent sentiment.

My team is the Patriots. Hate 'em all you want, JJ&*#@ and sanvirus. You don't even like your team enough to tell us who they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back