PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very few teams would have shown class like the Patriots did sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you even bother watching the Peyton commercial where he sas they're going to run, and then he turns to the camera and says he'd rather pass? Look at the score of the game on that commercial.

Like I said. Go back the last few years and show me how many teams went for it up by 30+ late in the fourth.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no one, but I may be surprised, it could be 2 out of 20.

Of course the original poster seems to think "very few" teams would show such mercy. I call BS.

BTW, what's that thing that people have been saying about Tomlinson? Classy people don't call themselves classy...

This thread is ridiculous... some of you people are "out there" when it comes to this team...I swear. lol-

They went for it on fourth down because it was the right decision. It had NOTHING to do with "mercy". If they would have scored the TD (which Evans has done more than a few times on that very play) the score would have been driven up to 45. If they didn’t get in (which was the case), than The Bills were going to be pinned back on their own goal line.

Which is more valuable to them at that point in the game? The 3points or giving them a long field (considering they couldn’t move the ball on us)?

Exactly.

He eased off of the gas when he pulled the starters. And even then, it was to protect them from an unnecessary injury, more than anything else.

Exactly. Break out those game logs people. Show us a team that went for the jugular up 31 with 4 minutes left.

Actually, it's a pretty easy thing to do right off the top of my head. Last year, the Colts did it in their first game against the Texans. Of course, you deliberately make the equation unfair by defining this only under the "31" and "4" argument, but that Colts game is a close enough example.

For that matter, now that you mentioned game logs, I went back to look at a few other weeks, but just chose one week because I saw another one. The Saints did it to Atlanta week 12 (Week 12 was the next week I'd looked at because it was another Colts blowout, so I thought I'd look at that one too). I'm sure I could find plenty of others, but I remembered that Indianapolis/Houston game so it became an easy starting point.

Last edited:
BB and Jauron had a little chat post game unlike the brief 'handshakes' BB has with some folks he obviously and deservedly disrespects. BB's run on all downs approach for the last 2 series was a coach to coach message saying "We're done. Please don't call any time outs and let's run off the game clock without further injuries." My sympathies to the Bills fans with all the devastating injuries so early in the season ruining the year's fun.

Last edited:
I give kudos to Buffalo as well for choosing to run the ball right back at the Patriots instead of trying for a pointless TD with a few minutes left. Both the Patriots and the Bill showed class at the end of the game.

Indeed, there are NFL teams that will continue passing the ball when the game is well in hand. The point is well-taken.

I give kudos to Buffalo as well for choosing to run the ball right back at the Patriots instead of trying for a pointless TD with a few minutes left. Both the Patriots and the Bill showed class at the end of the game.

Indeed, there are NFL teams that will continue passing the ball when the game is well in hand. The point is well-taken.

Personally, I was hoping they'd at least give Cassel one chance to pass. . . . :(

But, seriously, for a while there, I was almost hoping the Bills would score another touchdown (to make the score, yet again, 38-14). And I'm sure I wasn't the only one. :eek:h:

Last edited:
Like I said. Go back the last few years and show me how many teams went for it up by 30+ late in the fourth.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no one, but I may be surprised, it could be 2 out of 20.

Of course the original poster seems to think "very few" teams would show such mercy. I call BS.

BTW, what's that thing that people have been saying about Tomlinson? Classy people don't call themselves classy...

Umm, hello, McFly??

You are talking to fans here. I am not one of the patriot players. And, I don't think that the other fans are patriot players. We are just, ya know, fans. So, we can say that THEY are cool, or fair, or whatever. Do you see where there is a distinction there? Ldt says, "I am the classiest ever to walk the grid iron." Or, "I smoke pole best becaue I have this really cute vest on." Or, "Hey, we were just having a discussion out there, not arguing." Or, whayever. He is a player. Ya know? One of the ones out there during the game with all that stuff on their body, and they have black paint under their eyes, and, ummm, nice cars, and maybe a home that is big, and they are on tv, and they have been to college or something and probly played football in college, nice chicks, and they... Well, you get the picture.

But, they are different cause they are the ones playing, ya know, the game.

Good post though

This thread is ridiculous... some of you people are "out there" when it comes to this team...I swear. lol-

They went for it on fourth down because it was the right decision. It had NOTHING to do with "mercy". If they would have scored the TD (which Evans has done more than a few times on that very play) the score would have been driven up to 45. If they didn’t get in (which was the case), than The Bills were going to be pinned back on their own goal line.

Which is more valuable to them at that point in the game? The 3points or giving them a long field (considering they couldn’t move the ball on us)?

Exactly.

He eased off of the gas when he pulled the starters. And even then, it was to protect them from an unnecessary injury, more than anything else.

I agree with some of what you have said, but not everything. Your blanket assessment covers too much territory. It is true that they should not be affaid to keep attacking whenever and however they see fit. And, they should protect against injury, and give other people some play time. But, there is a gamesmenship factor that you are arguing does not exist. And I beg to differ.

Do you ever talk about the revenge factor when discussing the patriots? Do you believe in bulletin board material? Do you think that certain actions, gestures or comments can rile a team up? Answer honestly.

If you ever use these terms, then you accknowledge that they can be motivators. A smart coach also uses this to make decisions. There is no need to PAD ones stats. Some people like to pad the stats in order to keep players happy. Some of us see this action as a problem on certain levels.

Exactly. Break out those game logs people. Show us a team that went for the jugular up 31 with 4 minutes left.

We're not talking "the jugular," we said they don't decide NOT to even attempt at least a FG, which is what BB did.

Exactly. In effect, both teams said, "the game is over, lets get out of here."

Some folks, from their recliner, yell as if the foot should never be lifted from the pedal. Once it is over, it is over.

Yo, sanvara, tell us who your team is man?

Come on, lets just talk about them a little. They had a bad day and maybe you need to talk it out. Get it off your chest.

Pleeeeeze

They ran into the gut of the line, from an obvious running formation, FOUR TIMES. Don't throw out this horsecrap argument when you KNOW it's horsecrap. It's not simply about "going for it on fourth," it's about what plays they called. Please try to be somewhat honest and, when you're not, ease up on the condescension pedal. As here, you'll get over-the-top smacked around when you add arrogance to dishonest. Now go get your shinebox.

Actually, it's a pretty easy thing to do right off the top of my head. Last year, the Colts did it in their first game against the Texans. Of course, you deliberately make the equation unfair by defining this only under the "31" and "4" argument, but that Colts game is a close enough example.

For that matter, now that you mentioned game logs, I went back to look at a few other weeks, but just chose one week because I saw another one. The Saints did it to Atlanta week 12 (Week 12 was the next week I'd looked at because it was another Colts blowout, so I thought I'd look at that one too). I'm sure I could find plenty of others, but I remembered that Indianapolis/Houston game so it became an easy starting point.

Well, JJ and the Charger Fan, guess this kinda makes you look...what's the word...STUPID. Try shutting up next time and not just going on what you've misremembered.

It's not just choosing not to kick the field goal. Cassel entered the game half way through the 4th quarter and was in for two full series. He did not throw a single pass. Some other teams would have done the same, some would not. But for those of you looking for precedent on the "not" side, you don't have to look far! Come on, Philadelphia was up by 35 at the same point in their game yesterday and kept on calling pass plays.

I'm just surprised nobody has drawn the obvious conclusion: BB wanted to keep up the amusing string of "38 specials!" I'm not even sure I'm joking....

It's not just choosing not to kick the field goal. Cassel entered the game half way through the 4th quarter and was in for two full series. He did not throw a single pass. Some other teams would have done the same, some would not. But for those of you looking for precedent on the "not" side, you don't have to look far! Come on, Philadelphia was up by 35 at the same point in their game yesterday and kept on calling pass plays.

I'm just surprised nobody has drawn the obvious conclusion: BB wanted to keep up the amusing string of "38 specials!" I'm not even sure I'm joking....

Nice!!!!!

The 38 specials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crack me up.

Hey, maybe all these nay sayers are really just trying to say that we cheated and that we were trying to pad our second string running stats and stuff.

We are so dispicable.

Sorry, try again. The Colts were up by 20 when they scored their last TD. that's a 3 possession game. The Pats were up by 31, that's a 5 posession game. Huge difference.

Deus Irae said:

Bzzzzt. Try again. Saints were up by 11 when they scored in the 4th. Not even close.

C'mon, find me a 5 posession game where the team in the lead scored an intentional TD (i.e. no return TDs) late in the fourth.

But, there is a gamesmenship factor that you are arguing does not exist. And I beg to differ.

Imnot arguing that it doesnt exsist. Just that it had nothing to do with not kicking the FG on that last GL series.

It had more to do with leaving Buffalo pinned back on their own goal line, because that was more benifical to us, than the extra 3 points.

Do you ever talk about the revenge factor when discussing the patriots? Do you believe in bulletin board material? Do you think that certain actions, gestures or comments can rile a team up? Answer honestly.

If you ever use these terms, then you accknowledge that they can be motivators. A smart coach also uses this to make decisions. There is no need to PAD ones stats. Some people like to pad the stats in order to keep players happy. Some of us see this action as a problem on certain levels.

I think you guys are reading way too much into this. Is there an element of gamesmanship at play here? Yes, OF COARSE. Im not saying otherwise. All im saying, is that it had MORE to do with what was best for our team and the "W" (avoiding injury, running out the clock, giving them the long field) and LESS to do with "class" or "sportsmanship".

This comes close to the "going for the jugular" requirement. Yesterday the Eagles led 49-21 with 8:13 left in the game. Detroit fumbled on its own 17. McNabb threw a pass into the end zone. Pass interference called. Ball on the one, Eagles run it up to 56 points with a rushing TD.

See for yourself: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...ayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2007&week=REG3

Again: Up by four TDs with 8 minutes left, McNabb tries for a TD pass. That was just yesterday. I'm sure there are plenty more. :)

Last edited:
Well, JJ and the Charger Fan, guess this kinda makes you look...what's the word...STUPID. Try shutting up next time and not just going on what you've misremembered.

I guess you didn't bother to look it up (surprise). The lead the Colts and the Saints had in those two games COMBINED equalled the Patriots lead yesterday.

That was a weak attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back