PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very few teams would have shown class like the Patriots did sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what's known as a load of bull. The game was over, and they were in field goal range. Instead of running the ball, they tossed to Harrison for a 27 yard gain. Only idiots and people with agendas would think there's any real difference here.

OH, well.... this comment explains the earlier one, since you apparently don't want to make any real point, but just want to use ridiculous numbers to make a non-existent point. When the game is over, the game is over. The Saints had the lead and the ball with 3:16 left to play, and could have simply played with the clock. I fully agree that this game was not like the Colts game, but it's another example of teams going for the jugular when the game's over. Contrast the Saints to the Ravens that same week, just as an example. I should have looked for other examples, perhaps, since there are plenty out there.

Look, I don't mind that passing teams keep passing. What I do mind is that people act as if they don't.

Are you kidding? I asked for someone to go through the game logs and see how often a team up by 5 possessions goes in for a late score. Not only did you cite two games where neither team was up by 5 possessions. You didn't even look for cases where the team up big didn't score.

oh boo hoo

No, not boo hoo. A reference was made earlier in the thread about this game. I looked it up and presented the facts. Sometimes, when the result is already decided, teams try to score. Sometimes they don't.

p.s. hold onto that ring. It's one of a kind.

WTF!!!!YGBFKM!!!!

Up 31-7, 10 and a half to play, and you throw a bomb to Moss? That's CLASSY?? Had that benn Peyton, we'd never hear the end of it. Bunch a stat padders!!

I mean, but it was the GOLDEN BOY so you know it's okay to throw those long bombs to pad the stats but Peyton the stat whore would just be padding on the useless stats as usual

Last year, Week 4, SD winning 41-19 with 5:08 left. At SF's 20, Rivers passes 15 yards to the 5 to set up game's final score. SD squeaks by, 48-19.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...ayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2006&week=REG6

Again, close but no. They were up 22 when Tomlinson scored late in the 4th. Of Course, the Pats were up 24 in the 4th when they bombed one to Moss, so this really isn't any worse than that.

last year, Week 14, SD leading Denver 35-14 with 3:21 left, Merriman sacks Cutler and recovers a fumble at the Denver 7. Lalame'un runs it in for the final 42-14 score with 3:15 on the clock and Denver with only one timeout left.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...006&week=REG14

So SD did exactly the same thing as the Pats, except they happened to score.

What the Pats did wasn't classy, it was more like common courtesy. Only jerkoffs would have tried to score there. I'm not saying there aren't any jerkoffs out there, I'm simply saying we don't deserve to be praised for not running up the score.

This comes close to the "going for the jugular" requirement. Yesterday the Eagles led 49-21 with 8:13 left in the game.

Yeah that's borderline but that's not a 5 possession game like the Pats had and there was twice as much time left on the clock.

Anyone who tries to score and who does anything but run the ball with 4 minutes left and a 5 possession lead is bush league and an embarrassment to the game. No one deserves props for not doing that. This thread is a freaking joke. The Pats have won three games handily and people are patting the team on the back for not acting like jackasses by running up the score? Why is there a need for some people to fabricate false props to try feel good when the team is already doing that for you? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Are you kidding? I asked for someone to go through the game logs and see how often a team up by 5 possessions goes in for a late score. Not only did you cite two games where neither team was up by 5 possessions. You didn't even look for cases where the team up big didn't score.

2002 AFC Wild Card:Jets crush Colts 41-0. Lamont Jordan scores a TD with 4:59 left on the clock and the Jets "clinging" to a 34 point lead.

There's your example. You loose.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplayPlayoff2002?gameId=230104020

Only jerkoffs would have tried to score there.

Like SD did? Okay. You win: the Chargers are a bunch of j*&koffs.

You're getting wound up that a poster decided the Pats did the right thing by having their yeoman FB run the ball into a pile at the end of a game that had already been decided.

Three, four, five, six scores: Either the game is out of reach or it isn't. Last year SD ran their starting RB for a TD when the game had already been decided.

Again (and for the last time), no one wants to give the Pats a medal. They had a choice of whether to go for it or not, with a pass or with their starting RB, but -- unlike what often happens in the NFL -- they didn't. Great. Let's move on.

I must say I admired BBs decision to not go for the juggular and want to run up the score any further on the outmanned Bills yesterday,It showed class and a willing team to not have to be a stats monger like when Gostkowski would have had that FG or Brady with a #5 TD pass in that last Patriots drive deep in Buffalo territory,thats what there is to admire about this team,we never rub it in (until we meet the Jets again of course ;)) .

With that first and goal at the end of the game and up 38-7 Brady and Co. could have picked one of a dozen ways to score another TD and enter the 40s,But unlike most teams in the NFL they ran it up the gut knowing it probably won't amount to much yardage and just ran out the 4 downs and gave Buffalo the ball back for one last possesion.

The Patriots just simply decided to give the ball back to the Bills after going for it on 4th down when they could have had at least a FG in that series.

Unselfish stuff like this is what the media refuses to point out about the classy Patriots coaching and players,all we hear about is the bad stuff like cameragate and BBs personal life and Rodneys HGH suspension ect ect ect.

Someone show me an article that points the unselfishness of that final series of plays I just talked about in tomorrow's Patriots articles about this game,Bet you don't find any,nor do you ever.

One thing BB is not is classy. Great football coach. Other than that is a miserable person with no social skills.

One thing BB is not is classy. Great football coach. Other than that is a miserable person with no social skills.

Oh, you've gotten that impression when you've met him? :rolleyes:

I can't understand why everyone is debating if this was a mercy play. It was from my perspective and who cares what others think !!! Everyone has a agenda or perspective on the play or the Pats for that matter, who cares LOL

Pats showed grace in the end !! FROM MY PRESPECTIVE !!

Note to others. Nothing you say will change my perspective ;-)

2002 AFC Wild Card:Jets crush Colts 41-0. Lamont Jordan scores a TD with 4:59 left on the clock and the Jets "clinging" to a 34 point lead.

I loose (sic)?

WRONG.

Look at the plays run. 12 running plays and a a single 2 yard pass play. This is not running up the score to embarrass someone. While the pass play could normally be considered questionable, it was a 2 yard pass which is a ball control playcall and there were like 10 minutes left at that time. It was not a 30 yard pass play down the field to try and run up the score. If you run the ball and you score while running out the clock so be it. Nothing wrong with that. You don't take a knee with 4:59 left.

LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed left side for 7 yards.
2-3 at NYJ 43 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed left side for 6 yards.
1-10 at NYJ 49 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed left side for 6 yards.
2-4 at IND 45 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed right side for 5 yards.
1-10 at IND 40 Chad Morton (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 3 yards.
2-7 at IND 37 Chad Pennington (NYJ) pass right side complete to Jerald Sowell (NYJ) for 2 yards.
3-5 at IND 35 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed left side for 13 yards.
1-10 at IND 22 Jets timeout; 08:58 remaining 4th quarter
1-10 at IND 22 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 6 yards.
2-4 at IND 16 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 3 yards.
3-1 at IND 13 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed left side for 2 yards.
2-8 at IND 10 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 5 yards.
3-3 at IND 5 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 4 yards.
1-1 at IND 1 LaMont Jordan (NYJ) rushed up the middle for a 1 yard touchdown.

Last edited:
I loose (sic)?

WRONG.

Not that I was responding to you, but nonetheless the challenge thrown out by JJ was this:

"Are you kidding? I asked for someone to go through the game logs and see how often a team up by 5 possessions goes in for a late score. Not only did you cite two games where neither team was up by 5 possessions. You didn't even look for cases where the team up big didn't score."

I answered the challenge. Plain and simple.

Quit being a putz. You know full well that your 5 score requirement is even more garbage than your overall point. The trolls that have been here for the past 2 weeks were making better points and more honest arguments than this crap of yours.

I loose (sic)?

WRONG.

Look at the plays run. 12 running plays and a a single 2 yard pass play. This is not running up the score to embarrass someone. While the pass play could normally be considered questionable, it was a 2 yard pass which is a ball control playcall and there were like 10 minutes left at that time. It was not a 30 yard pass play down the field to try and run up the score. If you run the ball and you score while running out the clock so be it. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, um, why not tell us all the aspects of your little argument instead of making them up as you go along? You asked someone to show a TD up by five scores late in the fourth. You got it. Now you can't go back and say it wasn't running up the score because of the quality of the drive.

The Jets could have taken a knee; they didn't, probably to give Jordan the TD he'd earned moving the ball down the field. Fine. Their choice. But don't say the poster's wrong after giving the proper evidence.

This is an argument over nothing: Pats avoided a score late against a Bills team that was hurting (in more ways than one). They did the right thing. Good for them.

If I remember correctly it was a 50+ yard RUN. What are you supposed to do if they cant tackle you, run into the closest defender and fall down or run out of bounds at the 5. That is just stupid. I can see not throwing downfield but you have to do something!!

If I remember correctly it was a 50+ yard RUN. What are you supposed to do if they cant tackle you, run into the closest defender and fall down or run out of bounds at the 5. That is just stupid. I can see not throwing downfield but you have to do something!!

Um... you don't.

Hahahaha!

Exactly. Logic and common sense is just lost on some people.

Last edited:
Yeah, um, why not tell us all the aspects of your little argument instead of making them up as you go along? You asked someone to show a TD up by five scores late in the fourth. You got it. Now you can't go back and say it wasn't running up the score because of the quality of the drive.

Wrong again. That wasn't me that said that.

The Jets could have taken a knee; they didn't, probably to give Jordan the TD he'd earned moving the ball down the field. Fine. Their choice. But don't say the poster's wrong after giving the proper evidence.

Are you dense? No one takes a knee with 10-12 minutes left in the game, or even 4:59 left. That's something someone's wife who doesn't follow football would know.

Last edited:
Hahahaha!

Exactly. Logic and common sense is just lost on some people.

I think we all realize that. That's why we feel sorry for you instead of hating you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft