PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very few teams would have shown class like the Patriots did sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comes close to the "going for the jugular" requirement. Yesterday the Eagles led 49-21 with 8:13 left in the game. Detroit fumbled on its own 17. McNabb threw a pass into the end zone. Pass interference called. Ball on the one, Eagles run it up to 56 points with a rushing TD.

See for yourself: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...ayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2007&week=REG3

Again: Up by four TDs with 8 minutes left, McNabb tries for a TD pass. That was just yesterday. I'm sure there are plenty more. :)

Yup, that's close...but no cigar.

I am gonna be real honest here. I dont give a crap how mercifull our team is, who gives a crap about the other team? Why does anyone care how nice they are to the other team? I want them to bury the other team every step of the way. Light them up like Vegas. if the coach decides to take starters out to protect them (and thats the main reason why they do it) then so be it. Otherwise lets see a good ACC vs mid major conference football game here. WOO HOOO. BTW when it was happening to the pats back in the 80's-90's no one gave us a break so screw em

Amen Brother! ... It's the other teams job to stop them from scoring ... If they can't then phook'em.

C'mon, find me a 5 posession game where the team in the lead scored an intentional TD (i.e. no return TDs) late in the fourth.

So they can't just be trying to score, they have to succeed? That's a strange moral distinction, kind of like attempted murder not counting as a crime.

5-possession games are rare birds. I believe there have been 3 total this season where a team had a 5-score lead half way through the 4th quarter. In 2 of those 3 instances, the winning team kept throwing passes. The lone exception was the Patriots. That seems pretty definitive to me.

Imnot arguing that it doesnt exsist. Just that it had nothing to do with not kicking the FG on that last GL series.

It had more to do with leaving Buffalo pinned back on their own goal line, because that was more benifical to us, than the extra 3 points.

I think you guys are reading way too much into this. Is there an element of gamesmanship at play here? Yes, OF COARSE. Im not saying otherwise. All im saying, is that it had MORE to do with what was best for our team and the "W" (avoiding injury, running out the clock, giving them the long field) and LESS to do with "class" or "sportsmanship".

Ok, I'll give it to you because I really don't know, and your analysis is good. It could be other factors also, that would go along with your analysis. Maybe they didn't want to have another special teams play (kickoff or combination FG/kickoff) against buffalo.

Lots of things. I was just saying that there are, many factors. I think that they all come into helping make the choice. As a fan, I am glad they did what they did. It just seemed right.

I guess you didn't bother to look it up (surprise). The lead the Colts and the Saints had in those two games COMBINED equalled the Patriots lead yesterday.

That was a weak attempt.

Previously mentioned Colts v. Texans last year: Up by 19 with 2:42 left in the game, Peyton hits Reggie Wayne for a 27-yard pass to set up a 3-yard TD.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...ayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2006&week=REG2

This was on second down, when they could have run the ball twice, taken more time off the clock, and pinned the Texans deep.

They ran into the gut of the line, from an obvious running formation, FOUR TIMES.

So what? Are you saying they weren’t TRYING to get in?

It's not simply about "going for it on fourth," it's about what plays they called.

And it's not simply about "gamesmanship". It's about doing what’s best for YOUR team. As I said... was there SOME element of gamesmanship at play there? YES. But it was more about what was best for our team.

Why would they throw it?? Running it 4 straight times makes so much more sense. It's not like the Bills were "GARUNTEED TO STOP IT" even if they knew what was coming. If we scored, GREAT! If we didn’t, we would have run a bunch of time off of the clock and kept them pinned back on a long field. While we didn’t go "out of our way" to run it up on them (4 straight rushing plays), we still ran the plays that were most beneficial to us (considering the situation).

As here, you'll get over-the-top smacked around when you add arrogance to dishonest. Now go get your shinebox.

KILL IT man. Seriously. I'll hold my own with anyone when it comes to discussing this team. Your "cool kids club" gang-up threats are "over the top" pathetic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry, try again. The Colts were up by 20 when they scored their last TD. that's a 3 possession game. The Pats were up by 31, that's a 5 posession game. Huge difference.

This is what's known as a load of bull. The game was over, and they were in field goal range. Instead of running the ball, they tossed to Harrison for a 27 yard gain. Only idiots and people with agendas would think there's any real difference here.

Bzzzzt. Try again. Saints were up by 11 when they scored in the 4th. Not even close.

C'mon, find me a 5 posession game where the team in the lead scored an intentional TD (i.e. no return TDs) late in the fourth.

OH, well.... this comment explains the earlier one, since you apparently don't want to make any real point, but just want to use ridiculous numbers to make a non-existent point. When the game is over, the game is over. The Saints had the lead and the ball with 3:16 left to play, and could have simply played with the clock. I fully agree that this game was not like the Colts game, but it's another example of teams going for the jugular when the game's over. Contrast the Saints to the Ravens that same week, just as an example. I should have looked for other examples, perhaps, since there are plenty out there.

Look, I don't mind that passing teams keep passing. What I do mind is that people act as if they don't.

Last edited:
Yo, Patchick!!

You should let people know that you coined that nickname "The 38 Specials."

That is quite good. Best I've seen.

Yes, it is way too presumptuous, but it is freak'n hilarious. At least start a post and ask what people think. Or, send it to Reiss.

Ya got talent kid!

Pitt sat on the ball when they smacked NE around in 2004.

You can anecdotally find a few example otherwise, but most teams would do what NE did.

This "class" stuff kills me.

First of all, the NFL is big business. No mercy. Eat or be eaten. "Running up the score" is a little league concept; it is irrelevant in the NFL. The only caveat I would add is that throwing the ball tends to prolong the game - which could upset the losing coach as it could lead to more injuries.

Second of all, being a "classy" organization (whatever that means) is irrelevant to the bottom line: winning football games. Whether we are "classy" or not, I have no idea, and as long as we keep winning, I certainly don't care.

First of all, the NFL is big business. No mercy. Eat or be eaten. "Running up the score" is a little league concept; it is irrelevant in the NFL. The only caveat I would add is that throwing the ball tends to prolong the game - which could upset the losing coach as it could lead to more injuries.

Second of all, being a "classy" organization (whatever that means) is irrelevant to the bottom line: winning football games.

:agree: You hit the nail on the head my friend.

Yo, Patchick!!

You should let people know that you coined that nickname "The 38 Specials."

Kind of you, but I'm sure I've heard others here say it too!

BTW, I'm not convinced that running out the clock is simply a gesture of "class." If your team has enough confidence already that they don't need a massive blowout to boost their self-esteem, then the smart thing to do is go into pure injury-prevention mode: get that game over in the least risky way possible. So I'm hardly about to nominate BB for a humanitarian award for 4th-quarter mercies! But the claim that EVERY team sits on a big lead late is simply not true.

last year, Week 14, SD leading Denver 35-14 with 3:21 left, Merriman sacks Cutler and recovers a fumble at the Denver 7. Lalame'un runs it in for the final 42-14 score with 3:15 on the clock and Denver with only one timeout left.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playb...yPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2006&week=REG14

No, it's not five scores (btw, if we're going to get technical, 31 points is actually four scores), but the point is made: some teams look to score after the game is over while others don't.

Did Heath Evans want to make it into the end zone? I'll bet he did. Does he have the same ability to do so as Maroney or Morris (or LT)? No.

No one is saying that the Pats deserve a good citizenship award and a note from Miss Manners. It was simply nice to see two coaches come to an agreement that the game was over and it was time to move on.

Last edited:

Second of all, being a "classy" organization (whatever that means) is irrelevant to the bottom line: winning football games. Whether we are "classy" or not, I have no idea, and as long as we keep winning, I certainly don't care.

The term Running up the score is a concept that is talked about in all levels of competition. So, you don't really have that one correct. Players are very cognizant of this type of activity. Regardless of what some chest thumping fans may think, the players are aware. The distinction is to not rub it in the other guys face. I know, you think that this is a non-factor. Well, then I don't think that you understand a huge part of what makes the pats who they are. To me, they love to use such disrespect as fuel for later dates. They are aware of the right and wrongs of playing the game. (I am not Ned Flanders here) It is more about an honor among men. It may seem stupid to you, but it is a huge factor. Huge. I am a Marine, and maybe this causes me to be more inclined to the honor edge. But there is nothing that can motivate a man more than when his honor is called into question. And, I feel that you are saying that such things as running up the score do not have an effect on how the opposition views the defeat. Your comeback is "who cares?" Well, if you ask, we all care. There is a right and a wrong. You feel that there is not. I say that there is.

And, those who say it is an issue that is way overblown. Not so. It is a very important aspect of being a champion. The Pats know this. That is what I am saying. It was a calculated move. The calculation was set forth probably back when BB was 12 years old or something, looking at tape with his dad. But make no mistake, this issue was brought up, and father and son had long talks about it as any father and son would. It is an issue of honor and there is nothing more important to a person. Again, I am a Marine, so I guess that that has to be put into my little equation. ;)

Kind of you, but I'm sure I've heard others here say it too!

BTW, I'm not convinced that running out the clock is simply a gesture of "class." If your team has enough confidence already that they don't need a massive blowout to boost their self-esteem, then the smart thing to do is go into pure injury-prevention mode: get that game over in the least risky way possible. So I'm hardly about to nominate BB for a humanitarian award for 4th-quarter mercies! But the claim that EVERY team sits on a big lead late is simply not true.

Has anyone else seen "the 38 Specials" here before?

And quite frankly, what's being overlooked in this topic is that it's been really nice to relax in the fourth quarter instead of having heart palpitations. ;)

I must say I admired BBs decision to not go for the juggular and want to run up the score any further on the outmanned Bills yesterday,It showed class and a willing team to not have to be a stats monger like when Gostkowski would have had that FG or Brady with a #5 TD pass in that last Patriots drive deep in Buffalo territory,thats what there is to admire about this team,we never rub it in (until we meet the Jets again of course ;)) .

With that first and goal at the end of the game and up 38-7 Brady and Co. could have picked one of a dozen ways to score another TD and enter the 40s,But unlike most teams in the NFL they ran it up the gut knowing it probably won't amount to much yardage and just ran out the 4 downs and gave Buffalo the ball back for one last possesion.

The Patriots just simply decided to give the ball back to the Bills after going for it on 4th down when they could have had at least a FG in that series.

Unselfish stuff like this is what the media refuses to point out about the classy Patriots coaching and players,all we hear about is the bad stuff like cameragate and BBs personal life and Rodneys HGH suspension ect ect ect.

Someone show me an article that points the unselfishness of that final series of plays I just talked about in tomorrow's Patriots articles about this game,Bet you don't find any,nor do you ever.

WTF!!!!YGBFKM!!!!

Up 31-7, 10 and a half to play, and you throw a bomb to Moss? That's CLASSY?? Had that benn Peyton, we'd never hear the end of it. Bunch a stat padders!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes