PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

USA Today grades the Pats on the bottom tier of the Free Agency period

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they somehow retain Dumervil and grab one of Freeney or Abraham then they deserve some accolades for clever moves,but not yet.

Denver won't be able to get Dumervil and another DE. They took a $4.25 million cap hit releasing Dumervil. They have $5 million of cap space right now. They may have to cut players just to sign Dumervil.

I'm not all that excited about what the Pats have done so far, but I think I'll wait until FA and the Draft are in the rear view mirror before handing out any grades. I think the right grade for now is "Incomplete."

People hate the Patriots and love to bag on us if we don't make a splash they're sick of it. If other teams do nothing they get good grades because no one really cares one way or the other about them. I'm not too thrilled with free agency so far but it isn't low tier by any means.

I don't mind what the Patriots have done so far...but if FA ended today then sure, they wouldn't grade out particularly high.

No grade is complete yet....as the FA period has a way to go yet and even then no one knows who will turn out like Albert Haynesworth or Andre Carter until mid season at the earliest.

Well, we're obviously going with FA to this point, given the article. We can play the "offseason's not complete" game until about an hour before kickoff in week one, after all, and not be wrong about the notion.

Question for everyone who is ok with our offseason is what area of the team has improved from last season.

Question for everyone who is ok with our offseason is what area of the team has improved from last season.

Off the top of my head, secondary.

And, just based on recuperating players, TE.

The only possible reason to grade a FA period at this point, is because you have nothing better to do....OR you know who we are opening the season with a week from Sunday. :rolleyes:

Not only is this just an example of mental masturbation in order to fill copy, it was badly done. The Ravens have had the WORST off season, losing literally half the starting defense and get a B. We lose one WR and a redundant spare RB and we have failed, Meanwhile the Wilson DA, and Talib signings have been all but ignored. Denver's offseason has been a lot worse than our's. They've lost 2 veyr good players in Williams and Dummervile. I don't think there are too many HC's who would trade a slot receiver, even one of the best ones, for a premier pass rusher.

Hey, I have no problem with those who are unpressed by our off season so far, so if you want to grade it low, feel free. But some of the high grades given, despite some of the activity shown, smacks of there being a few "teacher's pets" in the class room

Coming up: USA Today grades a marathon after the first 13 miles.

News outlets often do such radical things as posting scores and offering analysis when games/events are still incomplete. Here at Patsfans.com, people often do the same thing mid-game and mid-season. Despite this, some of you are acting as if it's stunning to see it done during the offseason activities.

I get that a lot of people don't want to grade yet, as an individual thing, and I've probably felt that way some years in the past (and probably will again in the future) but why are some here acting as if mid-process grades and analysis are some bizarre thing? Is it because you don't like the given grade?

The entire rest of the league gets graded on a curve.

The Patriots are held to the absolute grade of win the Superbowl or fail.

..but why are some here acting as if mid-process grades and analysis are some bizarre thing? Is it because you don't like the given grade?

Yes Deus, its because they think the grade is unfair.

Gosh dang it! USA Today has got to be tops when it comes to grading football moves! We're doomed! (although I am giving us a low grade for the Welker debacle - think they'll give me a job? I am certainly bored at the one I have currently on this Friday afternoon!)

In other news, Bleacher Report ranked Patrick Chung #23 for all safeties.

I'm middle of the road for what Pats have done in FA so far.

Losing Wes sucked but anticipating what Amendola will bring to the passing game is exciting. Could be a plus- stay tuned

Losing Woody was meh. Washington picked up offsets that in the ST game and the RB position on Pats looks to be pretty solid anyway. Demps is the only ? ATM.

Losing Thomas on the OL and picking up Svitek is a wash. Cannon gets more PT and if they re-sign Sea Bass it's a plus.

Re-signing Talib is a status quo at CB which is a good thing.

Losing Chung and gaining Wilson is a plus.

Signing Jones at WR is a meh but expect more action in FA later and draft. Plenty of weapons for Brady with more to come. Edit: Forgot Lloyd being released. Would like to see him re-sign at a friendly $$ amount. Haven't heard him signing elsewhere yet.

Nothing earth shattering in FA so far, but this team got to within a game of the SB last season and the defensive rookies from last year should make a leap this year. (Dennard,Jones,Hightower,Ebner)

What's not to like ?

The Bills probably got an A last year.

It's so much easier and enjoyable to follow when you stop caring what external bodies have to say about the Patriots roster moves.

We need to remember...
Ozzie has a "PLAN".
BB is Arrogant.
Kraft is cheap.

The Ozzie has a plan thing has been nauseating. The plan included losing half his defense and is only trumped up because they won the SB. I'd love to see the magic plan that replaces 6 starters on defense.

News outlets often do such radical things as posting scores and offering analysis when games/events are still incomplete. Here at Patsfans.com, people often do the same thing mid-game and mid-season. Despite this, some of you are acting as if it's stunning to see it done during the offseason activities.

I get that a lot of people don't want to grade yet, as an individual thing, and I've probably felt that way some years in the past (and probably will again in the future) but why are some here acting as if mid-process grades and analysis are some bizarre thing? Is it because you don't like the given grade?

Are you saying that right here in the game threads after just the 1st couple series people make judgements about the outcome of the entire game and not only that, often the entire season? I'm shocked, simply shocked. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes