PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Upgrading the secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not comfortable with Merriweather and JSanders as my starting safeties. They are just too SMALL for my taste. I love Merriweather as a FS and think he would thrive if we could find a stud SS to pair with him.

Now granted the Pats aren't wed to the FS/SS concept and often interchange their safeties, but we did a decent job in adding some size to our CB position, but now I think we need to improve both the depth and starters at safety. This is an area we can utilize the draft. As of this moment I'd love to see the Pats make one of their first 2 picks the best S on the board, hopefully someone over 6' and 200lbs. Someone who can be an immediate contributor, and be a starter by mid season.

IMHO that is the only need pick we have to accomplish in the draft, after that we should simply take the best player on the board.

IAs of this moment I'd love to see the Pats make one of their first 2 picks the best S on the board, hopefully someone over 6' and 200lbs. Someone who can be an immediate contributor, and be a starter by mid season.

IMHO that is the only need pick we have to accomplish in the draft, after that we should simply take the best player on the board.

If you don't think we have a need at one of the LB positions, who do you see as besides AD and Mayo? I know we have some young talented guys to compete there, but has anyone set themselves apart as a true starter yet? I just don't know enough about the young guys they have. I suspect they may move Guyton outside next year, where I think he may excel, but I honestly don't know enough of the big picture there for this theory to be anything more than pure speculation.

If we don't resign Wright, do you see DL depth as a need? I think DL depth will be a need if we don't resign Wright.... at least at NT.

I'm still not comfortable with Merriweather and JSanders as my starting safeties. They are just too SMALL for my taste. I love Merriweather as a FS and think he would thrive if we could find a stud SS to pair with him.

Now granted the Pats aren't wed to the FS/SS concept and often interchange their safeties, but we did a decent job in adding some size to our CB position, but now I think we need to improve both the depth and starters at safety. This is an area we can utilize the draft. As of this moment I'd love to see the Pats make one of their first 2 picks the best S on the board, hopefully someone over 6' and 200lbs. Someone who can be an immediate contributor, and be a starter by mid season.

Ed Reed, Bill's all time binky SS, is 5'11 200 lbs, same as Merriweather and a whole inch taller than Sanders. It's less the dog in the fight than the fight in the dog.

Please list all the safeties on your first day board that are "over 6' and 200lbs." And then do us one more favor, please indicate which of these you expect to be worth a pick at 34 with no available alternative at 47.

Obviously, you belong to a select club who believes that Belichick pays $3M of cap money for someone he intends to be a backup.

I agree. I think the moves this offseason have made positive moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News