PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

****** Unofficial "Sure, why the hell not?" fix to the offense ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, future events could warrant changes (and I'll try to do updates as available players change), and the money needed is still an unknown (although I tried to take it into account as best I could at this point), but here's a first stab at how to fix the offense, outside of the draft...

Matt Forte (FA) - RB
Chris Ivory/LGB (FA) - RB
Josh Gordon (Trade) - WR
Jermaine Gresham (FA) - TE
Jeff Allen (FA) - OG

Unless Gresham gets wildly overpaid, I think that group could be had (if at all) for reasonable money.

Holy crap Deus. If the Patriots were able to swing all that, and add young talent in the draft at OT, OG, WR, and RB, good grief this team would be loaded.

Depending on the price (and the price shouldn't be much), I'd absolutely take a flier on Josh Gordon. The guy has *immense* talent. Forte/Lewis/Ivory in the backfield would give the Pats three pretty sweet options. Gresham is better than Chandler. Allen would be very helpful to shore up the OL.

If this is what the Patriots did, I'd be deliriously happy.

Probably *none* of it will happen, of course. :)

Holy crap Deus. If the Patriots were able to swing all that, and add young talent in the draft at OT, OG, WR, and RB, good grief this team would be loaded.

Depending on the price (and the price shouldn't be much), I'd absolutely take a flier on Josh Gordon. The guy has *immense* talent. Forte/Lewis/Ivory in the backfield would give the Pats three pretty sweet options. Gresham is better than Chandler. Allen would be very helpful to shore up the OL.

it's not the typical pats way of bringing in bodies.....they like to sniff around the guys who get cut or who are available for a late pick

Yeah.... It would break down "camp" like this, even before other signings and draftees (I'll include injured/PS players I remember off the top of my head, but I'm not going to sweat those I miss):

QB - Brady, JAG
FB - Devlin, Iosefa
RB - Forte, Lewis, Ivory/LGB, Bolden, White, Gaffney
TE - Gronk, Gresham, Williams, Derby
WR - Edelman, Gordon, Amendola, Martin, Lafell, Dobson, Carter, Harper
OL - Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Waddle, Fleming, Stork, Andrews, Allen, Jackson, Mason, Kline, Barker, Milton

That's 35 players on offense (Slater's not counted in that group) before any other moves and, while there would still be questions about the line, I think most people would be pretty happy with that group, both with the starters and with the depth players.

@JOSH_GORDONXII COME TO THE @Patriots !

when are you coming to the patriots fan @JOSH_GORDONXII

@JOSH_GORDONXII come be the next Randy Moss bruh

Gordon favorited those tweets to him on twitter.

This offseason dream will drive me crazy.

Would still need to stabilize pass protection but Gordon to the Pats and revamping the RB position makes this offense impossible to defend.

If BB favourited it then I'd be excited. It would also be the ultimate troll job.

I know the guy is an off the field concern and Lombardi I'm sure would not sign off on it but I really want Josh Gordon here. I think there is enough structure here to keep the lad in line and focused on being a pro.

Talib still has the burn scars on his face for getting roasted by him.

Now if they can pass block worth a damn longer than 1.5 seconds it might make sense.:rolleyes:

My off-season purely offensive thought process would be:

1. Trade Chandler Jones for a high second rounder (and a 2017 4th). I'd extend Sheard as compensation.
  2. Sign Marvin Jones and Matt Forte
  3. Draft Cody Whitehair with that 2nd rounder. Plug and play LG that enables us to switch Shaq to RG where I think he played better last year.
  4. Draft LeRaven Clark in the 2nd or 3rd. Love those 36" arms.
  5. Draft Jerrell Adams who is a move TE but one of the better inline blocking TEs in the draft.
  6. Draft Jonathan Williams on day three.

how quickly one forgets
until week 10 (or so) CJ was a superhero, better than JJ, Patriots untouchable treasure
few weeks later he's #1 to go?

and then this unbearable lightness of dreaming (and shopping, shopping ...)
always yearning for what you dont have instead of respecting and believing in what you have
fortunately this organisation is different (even if they let CJ go eventually)

lets respect what we have first
and lets not get overboard for names that never played a game in the league

how quickly one forgets
until week 10 (or so) CJ was a superhero, better than JJ, Patriots untouchable treasure
few weeks later he's #1 to go?

and then this unbearable lightness of dreaming (and shopping, shopping ...)
always yearning for what you dont have instead of respecting and believing in what you have
fortunately this organisation is different (even if they let CJ go eventually)

lets respect what we have first
and lets not get overboard for names that never played a game in the league

I don't understand your last sentence. Who's going overboard for players that haven't played?

As for the rest, Chandler Jones better than JJ. Really? Like it or not, Chandler Jones is probably playing his last season here next year unless he's signed to a long term big money deal or is franchised in 2017. That's a reality that needs to be addressed. It's not unreasonable to consider whether there is value in maximising his value now, saving over 7 million on the cap and giving, arguably, the better defender in Jabaal Sheard more reps than keeping Jones for next year only and only getting a third round pick for him assuming he stays healthy. I'm fine with keeping him, I'm fine with trading him, but where's the harm in a bit of speculation.

It's the off-season. People speculate in the off-season. Lighten up.

Would still need to stabilize pass protection but Gordon to the Pats and revamping the RB position makes this offense impossible to defend.

Let's stick with improbable :). Seen too many times an unstoppable force losing to an immovable object.

I know the guy is an off the field concern and Lombardi I'm sure would not sign off on it but I really want Josh Gordon here. I think there is enough structure here to keep the lad in line and focused on being a pro.

Talib still has the burn scars on his face for getting roasted by him.

Now if they can pass block worth a damn longer than 1.5 seconds it might make sense.:rolleyes:
Well, I wonder if Lombardi would or wouldn't sign off on it. We know Lombardi wanted to jettison Gordon a couple years back, but that was when Gordon was in the midst of his issues, and was also on a team coached by Rob Chudzinski. Lombardi knew Gordon had problems and knew Chudzinski was not the guy to turn him around... Now, Gordon has already "served his time" in a sense and hopefully has figured out what not to do, and will have an excellent coaching staff headed by the GOAT HC. Big difference. I also think it's worth noting that Gordon probably didn't have a whole hell of a lot else to do in Cleveland but drink/smoke/lose football games/etc...

Yes, I think he would continue to roast Talib and frustrate him. If Goodell implements his "two strikes you're out" rule on personal fouls then Talib will probably be exiting most games by the second quarter anyway, though.

Agree that the pass blocking definitely needs to get better, but that's why we brought Scar back. Also, I think Gordon would do just fine on some quick screens too, much like they did with LaFell from time to time.

I don't wanna read too much into this but it's gotta mean something right? If nothing else, it means Gordon wants to play for the Pats, probably... But he still needs reinstatement and still would have to be traded. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Hue Jackson parted with him for maybe a 4th rounder. Cleveland has a lot of problems and he probably wouldn't mind someone taking a potential issue off his hands who will be a FA soon anyway and get compensation back for it.

I don't wanna read too much into this but it's gotta mean something right? If nothing else, it means Gordon wants to play for the Pats, probably... But he still needs reinstatement and still would have to be traded. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Hue Jackson parted with him for maybe a 4th rounder. Cleveland has a lot of problems and he probably wouldn't mind someone taking a potential issue off his hands who will be a FA soon anyway and get compensation back for it.

He also favorited an article speculating about Forte to the Pats :D

It's a shame he's not a FA. Based
on old tweets he's clearly a fan of Brady & from his favorites wants to play here. I still hope there is a chance we trade for him.

My off-season purely offensive thought process would be:

1. Trade Chandler Jones for a high second rounder (and a 2017 4th). I'd extend Sheard as compensation.
  2. Sign Marvin Jones and Matt Forte
  3. Draft Cody Whitehair with that 2nd rounder. Plug and play LG that enables us to switch Shaq to RG where I think he played better last year.
  4. Draft LeRaven Clark in the 2nd or 3rd. Love those 36" arms.
  5. Draft Jerrell Adams who is a move TE but one of the better inline blocking TEs in the draft.
  6. Draft Jonathan Williams on day three.

They are not drafting a OG in the 2nd round, it is not happening. BB likes his draft from last year and he always says a player makes a huge jump in their 2nd year. Tre Jackson is going to be the starter with Kline rotating in which I can't stand. Coach Scar hand picked these guys.

Solder, Mason, Stork, Jackson, Vollmer.

Coach likes his draft bud.

Belichick on Mason: One of most athletic OL I've seen

They are not drafting a OG in the 2nd round, it is not happening. BB likes his draft from last year and he always says a player makes a huge jump in their 2nd year. Tre Jackson is going to be the starter with Kline rotating in which I can't stand. Coach Scar hand picked these guys.

Solder, Mason, Stork, Jackson, Vollmer.

Coach likes his draft bud.

Belichick on Mason: One of most athletic OL I've seen

There was no-one here that liked Shaq Mason more than me but I don't get the "they are not drafting" thing. One thing I'm certain of is that no-one can predict with confidence what BB will do in the draft. They probably won't draft Whitehair in the second round. For starters they probably won't be able to anyway. But I offered an opinion, not a prediction. And it wasn't even my proper opinion because it was purely offense related. There are defensive players I have ranked above Whitehair that I like.

Chris Ivory, Josh Gordon, Matt Forte,Joe Thomas, Rolondo Mcclain
Resign Hicks
Antonio Gates
Pair A aging Gates chasing a superbowl with Gronk would be ridiculous
Talk to St Louis about Tavon Austin he has underperfomed there but would be a great replacement for Admendola.
Grab Justin Hunter have to see if you can untap that potential.

I love the Gresham suggestion. Excellent blocker and incredibly durable (something we desperately need here). I'm not a fan of his hands but they are still better than Chandler's which is good enough for me. Not to mention that Gresham's price will be cheap, this could be one of the better "sneaky" pickups that could benefit the offense quite a bit. If not Gresham then I'd try to get Dwayne Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back