PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where the Pats might struggle & how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left tackle to replace Solder in a year or 2.

LB Depth. HT injury away from an "oh crap" situation. I think this position is where some of those $$ will go for another FA or a mid-season pickup. Definitely a rookie or two as well.

I think the only real needs are pass rusher and power back. If Butler leaves, the CB position could be a headache. If Hightower gets hurt, the LB position will be a headache.

RB- Not much can be done there. It's either bring Blount back or bring in Peterson or Charles. Which is unlikely, so it seems Pats could go with a 3-headed rotation in Lewis, White and Burkhead (maybe even 4 with Foster, seems like he also got the RS-bedded in treatment this year ). Contrary to popular belief the offense doesn't need a bruiser back. Needs backs that can move the chains, whether it be running or in the pass game. If Pats were to draft a RB this year as evident in past years he would be bedded in and it would a move more for '18, unless he just comes in to training camp and impresses.

We certainly could use a bruiser RB for early down runs, goalline TD, short yardage, and clock killing late in games. Don't know enough about Burkhead to say whether he is the guy for that but I doubt someone like Adrian Peterson is going to accept a limited role like this for less than $2M a year and I'm certain that the Patriots won't pay any more than that for someone to fill that role.

Center- Not sure why people are so quick to dump Andrews for a 33 year old Center that has started to break down
Its not a matter of dumping him its simply an upgrade and improved depth. There are definitely questions that have to be answered on Mangold, but if he is healthy and hungry we should DEFINITELY be looking at adding him

DE- Why are you forgetting Guy? Pretty sure he's gonna line up at DE at times.
Guy is a "guy". He's here to provide 3-4 flexibility at DE, and a potential bull rush in the middle. Strictly a rotatioinal player
RB- So you want the Pats to find the next Bell? Can't wait until Burkhead proves people wrong
your lips to god's ear, but to "rely" on Berkhead as you primary rusher is ludicrous. The kid hasn't had 100 attempts in his CAREER, let alone the 200-300 attempts a primary RB has to make. NO ONE know how he'll react to that. So to go into a season without proper depth is just stupid
WR- So it's a strength? Not sure why it's listed. The premise of your post was where the Pats might struggle. TE: If Gronk and Allen are healthy TE is not a need. Plus I just have no clue what TE that Pats can get to be #3 that would lessen the impact of losing Gronk. Don't see any current FA and cant rely on a rookie
We have more than enough at WR right now, in fact it's an embarassment of riches. The same goes for TE. Between Lengel, Williams, Housler, and Scruggs we will have plenty of bodies to fill that #3 TE role in house.
Solder- He is under contract for '17. Thats all that matters right now.
Solder's situation is housekeeping. Sometime in the next year the Pats have to extend Solder out another 2-3 years, which would create immediate cap space if they need it for some reason.

DE is the real need. Right now Flowers is the only reliable DE on the roster. Grissom has to make a big leap that can't be counted on. Ealy has never been consistent, and if he succeeds would be a one year rental. Ninko is likely playing his last season and isn't much of a factor on the pass rush any more. Guy, as I mentioned before is more of a 3-4 or inside presence.

FA isn't a factor. The only guy that looks interesting to me is Long, and he's not coming back. Meanwhile the draft has a number of edge players to choose from. There is an entire detailed thread on the position on the draft board. The best way to get an immediate impact would be to add resources that will get us that player either by getting NO's 11th or trading JG for the 12th.

I don't think if we got back the 32nd we would find "that guy", In that range or with our other picks we can find good PROSPECTS, but not anyone who could be of immediate help. Not that fining prospects aren't a good thing, just look at Flowers. Just that it would be unrealistic to think that they could be a factor this season.

At the positions OP listed outside of DE, I don't see pressing needs.

Center- Everyone can continue to have wet dreams about 33 year old Nick Mangold, who just missed half a season. But I don't see Center as a need.

RB- Not much can be done there. It's either bring Blount back or bring in Peterson or Charles. Which is unlikely, so it seems Pats could go with a 3-headed rotation in Lewis, White and Burkhead (maybe even 4 with Foster, seems like he also got the RS-bedded in treatment this year ). Contrary to popular belief the offense doesn't need a bruiser back. Needs backs that can move the chains, whether it be running or in the pass game. If Pats were to draft a RB this year as evident in past years he would be bedded in and it would a move more for '18, unless he just comes in to training camp and impresses.

#3 TE- There isn't anyone out there in FA that you could bring and say "ya if Gronk goes down, having him will help". If iAllen goes down, you still have Gronk. Best chance to get someone is the draft but as of right now they aren't drafting until #72 so who knows which TEs will be available, although good thing about this draft is TE seems to be the deepest it's been in awhile

I'd say RB and DE are still pretty good needs that they'll fill in the draft, particularly if they get a day one or two pick back. CB is still a need if only for depth purposes. It becomes more of a glaring need if Butler goes. Just asking because you didn't follow up your previous post with what you thought were needs. Further, Mangold, even at 33, is an improvement upon Andrews this season still. But the real question is how many years he wants to be signed for and what Belichick thinks his ceiling will be after this season. I can't see the Pats signing him (they would have already done it), but let's not act like Andrews is actually a better center as we sit here today.

Sign Elvis!!! I bet he has one more solid yr in him

"Struggle" is an exaggeration. Everyone with a brain knows they won't struggle in any particular area. However, there are areas that should be addressed - most notably RB and LB.

Everyone mentioning DE - how many DL to they normally keep?

They have 7 right now who barring injury, will be on the 53: Branch, Brown, Valentine, Guy, Ealy, Nink, Flowers...8 if you count Grissom.

Guy and Ealy replaced Long and Sheard.

I know many here subscribe to the theory that a player should not only want to play for the Patriots for the chance to own a Superbowl ring, but also due to that opportunity should sign for a discount.

There is a flip side to that.

Because the Patriots have superior depth compared to most other NFL teams that also means that free agent will have a more difficult time making the 53-man roster. The player (or his agent) may want to consider another team in order to avoid becoming the next Terrance Knighton, Reggie Wayne, Will Smith, Donald Butler, Torry Holt, John Lynch, Adrian Wilson, etc. For others like Chris Long a limited role may be difficult to deal with also.

I can't help but wonder if this is part of why we have not seen additional free agent signings at some of the positions of need mentioned previously. Otherwise why not sign a Zach Brown, Perry Riley or Gerald Hodges at linebacker, for example?

I have heard that it could be that BB wants to gather compensatory picks, but if I am not mistaken we are only looking at one comp pick - a year from now - and it would likely only be a 7th rounder, or maybe 6th at best. To me that low of a draft pick - a player that is maybe a 50/50 chance to make the roster - is not worth forgoing a possible asset on your quest for a championship.

Its not a matter of dumping him its simply an upgrade and improved depth. There are definitely questions that have to be answered on Mangold, but if he is healthy and hungry we should DEFINITELY be looking at adding him

Guy is a "guy". He's here to provide 3-4 flexibility at DE, and a potential bull rush in the middle. Strictly a rotatioinal player
your lips to god's ear, but to "rely" on Berkhead as you primary rusher is ludicrous. The kid hasn't had 100 attempts in his CAREER, let alone the 200-300 attempts a primary RB has to make. NO ONE know how he'll react to that. So to go into a season without proper depth is just stupid
We have more than enough at WR right now, in fact it's an embarassment of riches. The same goes for TE. Between Lengel, Williams, Housler, and Scruggs we will have plenty of bodies to fill that #3 TE role in house.
Solder's situation is housekeeping. Sometime in the next year the Pats have to extend Solder out another 2-3 years, which would create immediate cap space if they need it for some reason.

DE is the real need. Right now Flowers is the only reliable DE on the roster. Grissom has to make a big leap that can't be counted on. Ealy has never been consistent, and if he succeeds would be a one year rental. Ninko is likely playing his last season and isn't much of a factor on the pass rush any more. Guy, as I mentioned before is more of a 3-4 or inside presence.

FA isn't a factor. The only guy that looks interesting to me is Long, and he's not coming back. Meanwhile the draft has a number of edge players to choose from. There is an entire detailed thread on the position on the draft board. The best way to get an immediate impact would be to add resources that will get us that player either by getting NO's 11th or trading JG for the 12th.

I don't think if we got back the 32nd we would find "that guy", In that range or with our other picks we can find good PROSPECTS, but not anyone who could be of immediate help. Not that fining prospects aren't a good thing, just look at Flowers. Just that it would be unrealistic to think that they could be a factor this season.

Looking for draft picks by trading either Butler or Polo, the Italian Stallion, is a fools errand. Keep both.

I don't think the fear at LB is fully justified.

Besides DH and established star, are three newcomers to the Pats who are only now acclimating to the Team. Shea MClellin was a big First round 3-4 LB, drafted by a 4-3 Bears club in the first round. It was a misfit. Kyle VanNoy was second round draft pick of the Lions that BB acquired in trade mid-season. He is also a big OLB.

Neither of these LBs are an unathletic stumble bum.

Elandon Roberts, the undersized late round "find" is a good rundown MLB whose undersize is not at all evident in his heart, and on the field. VanNoy was acquired when Jonathan Freeney the incumbant, and an UDFA, went down on season ending IR early in the season after turning in a 7 tackle performance in the shutout against the Texans. Freeney is an accomplished core ST player, re-signed and extended by the Patriots, and much less heralded than any of the others but is good depth.

Let these players have a full TC with the Pats and allow them to settle in before condemning them. None are a Hightower or Collins, but they do play sound Defense.

Looking for draft picks by trading either Butler or Polo, the Italian Stallion, is a fools errand. Keep both.

Right, the question becomes......will the player(s) drafted with the picks obtained from a Butler trade be more valuable to the team than Butler? Most likely 'no'.

Mangold would greatly improve the OL, because (1) he's better than Andrews, and (2) Andrews is better than Karras, and so the Patriots would be improved in their starting OL, but also in their backups.

And they have the $$ to do it, especially if Butler ends up in NO (or elsewhere).

Maybe, but I think Mangold is pretty much done.

From where I'm sitting they need help in a number of areas but nothing of extreme need.

RB-I like the three they have but they could definitely add one in the draft to fill the unit out. This is a strong draft at RB and there will be good ones there in the 3rd through 5th rounds.

DL-The interior line and 3-4 line is in very good shape, but they still have a need for a 4-3 End/ pass rusher. Ealy fills the spot Long vacated but Ninkovich is showing his age and Sheard is gone. I had hoped they would take a shot at Barwin but he signed in L.A.. Hopefully they can find one in the draft or later this offseason in free agency.

LB-Their greatest area of need imo. Getting Hightower back was a big deal but McClellin and Van Noy are just average imo. I like Roberts as a run stuffer but he's a liability in coverage. I would like to see them add at least one LB if not two in the draft.

OL- I think Solder will be Re-Signed this offseason so they are set for starters but they could use more depth, and as much as I like their young interior OL they need depth and competition inside.

Imo they are set right now at the other positions but that could change depending upon what happens with Butler and Garrapolo. They have had a great offseason to date but Belichick still has moves to make and it should be interesting to see what he does.
I agree LB is the biggest need

Outside Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back