PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the you can't win edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There was a tweet by Bedard before the start of the last Jets drive which stated "Well, Patriots defense gets a chance to show it can get a stop when it matters, even if it's the Jets". This is the reaon for the thread title, but you can see that kind of commentary by the mediot's in run up to this game. And it's not going to change until we play the Bronco's and even then, if we win, there will be plenty of caveats. I have to say, it's really starting to piss me off. You can be critical (and I will during this thread), but it's become too stylish among the media, that if we aren't concentrating on EVERYTHING negative you will be labelled with the dreaded "homer" tag. It's starting to get really old.

The game itself was pretty much what we expected. The Pats played their B game, the Jets played their A game, and the game was won by the Pats. I also think the fact the Jets were coming off their bye week, while the Pats didn't get back from the west coast until 5am on Monday, plus the disruption of Thanksgiving; was also a factor. And Brady missing 2 practices clearly had an effect on his play, especially early, certainly didn't help either.

But is is what it is, so lets gets started on the break down. You know Elementary and Madam Secretary will be on soon, not to mention an important story on my biggest fear, Altzheimer's disease, on 60 minutes ;)

OFFENSE

1. OL - The Jets DL is very, very good, and the Pats OL looked pretty shaky at the start of the game with many hits and hurries on a clearly less nimble Brady. But like usual, as the game went on, Brady seemed to have more an more time, and more open receivers to catch the ball. Clearly a win for them by the end of the game.

On thing to watch going into the future is how teams will start to attack David Andrews by making him play with a big, explosive player right on his head. In the early going he was knocked back, significantly which created a number of those hits and hurries. When you don't attack Andrews directly, at the snap, you are playing into his strength, which is to help his other teammates in protect and get to the 2nd level on run plays. Areas which are his strengths. As time moves forward I think we will see more and more teams trying this strategy. That being said, Andrews was a LOT more sturdy in the 2nd half.

As far as the runing game goes, it wasn't great, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't much at all. I guess the best description was that it was effective, when they bothered to run at all. They had 100 yds on just 18 carries, though it seems the Pats decided early not to bang their heads against that DL, but when they did, it was pretty effective, if not always consistent. You can't hate a 2nd game in a row where you are kneeling down inside the opponents 5 yard line.

2. Receivers - It was a shame Gronk went down early - He was open on 2 deep throws. One were Brady missed him and one he was interferred with. When one of your key guys in the game plan leaves, it takes a bit to regroup, and it showed in the choppy play by the offense all game. We essentially played without any TE's for most of that game, since Bennett was clearly taking one for the team by being out there at all. Not only should he be given a lot of credit for toughing it out, it should put an end to anyone who is worried if he'll be pissed if you aren't throwing him the ball. Clearly he's is "all about the wins". Otherwise he had ample reason to watch this game from the sidelines.

Early in this game I thought the Mitchell vs Roberts match up was one the Pats could exploit. I was right, but they also exploited him vs Revis as well. The development of Malcolm Mitchell continues at a gradual pace. He is now getting first looks on key 3rd down plays and obviously, around the GL. He and Hogan gives us a great hope for the long term depth of the WR position as Edelman and DA get older. The think I like best about him is he seems to play a lot bigger than his actual size. We might even see him break the 600 yd barrier as a rookie.

Edelman was solid as usual, while DA, for the first time all season, was pretty much a non-factor in the passing game.

2. RB's - I know White broke a tackle (finally) today on a key 3rd down, and was once again an effective receiver out of the backfield, but for the life of me I couldn't understand why Lewis was not the RB on that 2 point conversion. He is not only the better runner, he is also faster, and more instinctive RB than White. There is no doubt in my mind that had Lewis been the ball carrier on that play, it would have succeeded.

LGB had a 6ypc average on what amounted to a day off for him with only 11 carries. Plus once again he got a key first down at the end of the game which allowed the Pats to again do their kneel downs inside the Jets 5 yardline. (I can only smile as I think about all the bettors who were dying one way or the other as he neared the GL on his last run. :D )

3. QB- Certainly not Brady's best day "only" completing 6o% of his passes. Only having a 24% 3rd down coversion rate, and generally being the least accurate he's been this season on his mid range and long balls. Some of that could be the result of the long week, the practices he missed, his bad knee, and the shaky protection he got at the start of the game. But he came up big (again) in the game's biggest moments, and did what was necessary to get the win. They can't all be gems. ;)

4. General offensive comments.

a. Losing Gronk and soon after effectively losing Bennett, forced the Pats to make some significant adjustments to the game plan during this game. It could be part of the reason the offense was so inconsistent during the game.

b. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to see Devlin get 2 targets. Just knowing that that is a possibility will make the running game more effective down the road. We need to do it more.

c. Only 2 for 4 in the red zone, when 3 for 4 would have been acceptable. That needs to improve.

d. I think the Pats showed great discipline and focus from the offense in getting just 2 penalties for 15 yard in an away game. It was a bigger factor than most will acknowledge, and a GREAT improvement from most of the games this season.

f. In the past the Pats have shown that they are masters of the no huddle genre. There were times I felt it would have been effective in this game. One of the best ways to mitigate a great pass rush is to spread the team out and run a no huddle offense. Not only are you usually getting the ball out quicker, you are tiring out the rushers. Just a thought for the future.

Defense -

5. Front 7 - I think I heard them say that the Jets were averaging 130+ yds rushing the ball over a number of games. The first positive for the defense is that we held the Jet rushing game to just 60 odd yards in 22 carries, with a long gain of 7 yards. What was even more impressive was how COMPLETELY the Jets running attack was throttled. I would guess half of those yards were gotten after first contact by great efforts by Powell and Forte. The defensive front had a mandate to stop the Jets from having an effective run game and they did their job in spades.

The Pass rush was obviously not a effective, but it DID get better as the game went on and in the end furnished the big play that ultimately sealed the game.

6. DB's The one criticism I had of the DB's was the softness the S's were showing in that deep crossing pattern the Jets ran so effectively. The one that caught my attention was on the drive before the blocked FG. The Jets picked up a big 3rd down on a deep crossing pattern to Marshall (I think) The Jets had 5 receivers out, and they all went wide clearing the middle for the crosser. The CB was a step behind and Fitz threw a dart right on target. My problem was that it SHOULD have been a play where the Saftey (Harmon) should have done a LOT more than assist in the T. This was a pattern I know the Pats practiced against. It was not even the first time in this game that they ran it. With the other receivers going wide, Harmon should have read this pattern and JUMPED the receiver. He should have either made the play or blown Marshal up. That's what Earl Thomas would have done. THAT is what I want to see improved. A successful defense can't be afraid. I feel our DB's are good enough to warrent more aggressive play down the stretch and still maintain the philosophy of the defense. THAT's what I'll be looking for in the future.

Also, on the game day page, Butler too a lot of heat for the TD pass to Enunwah. That's BS. Butler was in perfect position on the play. He timed his leap perfectly, and if he didn't leave his DNA on the ball, I'd be surprised. Unfortunately for him the guy he was covering was 6'4 and the ball was in the only spot that allowed the receiver to catch the ball and BARELY stay in bounds (if in fact he really did) Butler did his job, but sh!t happens in the NFL.

Fitzpatrick played his best game of the year. He threw one pass after another into minute holes and when he didn't, he wisely checked down to receivers he'd rarely targeted before this game. The pass defense is going to take a lot of heat this week for allowing Fitzpatrick (with the lowest QB rating in the league) 280 yds and 2 TD's. When the reality is that Fitzpatrick's achilles heal is his inconsistency. By definition while he is capapble of playing badly, he is also capable of playing well. Well tonight the pride of Harvard played well....very well. And the fact he did shouldn't demean the efforts of a much maligned defense. Just something to think about.

BTW- the good news that the Jets STILL lost and because he played so well it is unlikely that Bowles will be able to take him out of the line up, which means that it will delay any info they get on Petty and his other guy, and thus set the Jets' QB problems back a few more months. :D

6. ST's

Nothing bad, short of miss by Gotskowski, but nothing wildly good either. Just a good solid job by ST's.

BTW- anyone else notice that all or most of Gotskowski's FG misses this season have come from the right hash? There have be 4 now. There isn't going to be anything done about this situation. Gotskowski clearly has not had a good year, but it hasn't been horrible. Though the game would have been a lot less nerve wracking if he'd made that kick.

BTW -2 The FG block has be all on the kicker. IIRC, the guy that blocked it was knocked back off LOS and didn't even jump to get it. If all it took was for a tall guy to raise his hand to knock it down, it was kicked WAY too low.

7. General thoughts

a. I was very impress with the improved play by the LB's in run defense. The Jets RB's had to fight hard for every measely yard they got.

b. I'm now resigned to the fact that we have no pass rushers that will individually create consistent pressure. But that doesn't mean the defense can't effectively rush the passer. As I've said on many occasions, best of BB's defenses in the "golden era" of the early 2000's never had great individual pass rushers either. For the Pats sacks and QB pressures need to be a team production, just like they were in the so called glory years.

c. The Rams are a mess. I couldn't be more pleased to see Jeff Fisher get what he deserves. Maybe this season, his mediocrity will finally get him fired. That being said this will be another "can't win" situation for the Pats. BTW- dispite what BB says publicly about Fisher, I really believe he tries to hurt other players like Rodney has said all along, and is one guy I don't think BB likes at all. If the game is ending inside the Rams 5, I don't see the Pats kneeling

d. With BOTH Gronk and Marty banged up, wouldn't AJ Derby be nice right now (he said with perfect 20-20 hindsight) ;)

I didn't pay much attention to any of the other action except to note the scores, so I have nothing more to add to that subject. Time to rap it up and get the discussion started. As always let me know what you think

I am just curious about the media in other cities. For example, will the radio guys in KC or DEN whine endlessly about how two crappy QBs moved the ball up and down the field later in that game? How about mighty Seattle getting dusted by Tampa?

I'm hoping not. Nobody deserves the vermin we're stuck with. Expect to hear how we learned nothing from this game, even though all 3 phases came through in the closing minutes.

Good performance by the defense today. Kept the team in the game while the offense was inept. Though the poor offensive performance was to be expected, given the injuries to Brady and Gronk.

Damn impressive, Ken. I'm jealous. Just what the hell kind of brain supplements are you taking? Every week I get more senile while you seem to be just hitting your prime. I think I'll re-read your post and see if I can jump start some of my dormant brain cells....

Last edited:
Nice review,and I really can't argue with anything you've said.

What I WOULD add is how resilient this team is. It has a game plan, and when guys go down, it simply adapts, uses the next guy in rotation, and keeps on plugging away. I see the upside in that ability as other teams not being able to sit back and relax a bit just because one (or more) of the starters goes down.

I am just curious about the media in other cities. For example, will the radio guys in KC or DEN whine endlessly about how two crappy QBs moved the ball up and down the field later in that game? How about mighty Seattle getting dusted by Tampa?

I'm hoping not. Nobody deserves the vermin we're stuck with. Expect to hear how we learned nothing from this game, even though all 3 phases came through in the closing minutes.

The Boston reportards and mediots are trying to emulate the NYC media. Just listen in to WFAN for Joe's report tomorrow morning to see what I mean. You can stream it online.

I am glad that I get most of my Patriot's info from Patsfans.com. I trust the posters to post the good stuff and leave out the crap from the mediots. Being a Canadian, I don't have the talk radio stations to listen to.

Brady relies on great mechanics to generate power and accuracy. His knee was affecting his throwing and balls were going high. At the end of the SF game, Brady had trouble getting to his feet after the kneeldown. The good news is that after the kneeldowns at the end of the Jets game, he had less trouble getting to his feet. I take that as a positive sign.

Even though they only put up 22 points, they had the opportunity to generate 34 points of offense. The missed FG, the two point conversion that was missed and at the end of the game they had a good chance to score a TD but choose to kneeldown ( the right play call). Most of their woes were self inflicted.

The OL pass protection is not that bad. Considering Brady had 50 pass attempts, I thought the OL did a good job of protecting him although they got off to a rocky start. Although the Patriots rushed less then normal, the run game was effective enough if not great. We did better running against their defense then the Jets did running against the Patriot's defense. It's going to be interesting to see how many snaps Lewis and White got in the game.

With Gronk hurt and Bennett playing injured, Mitchell is fast becoming a favorite target for Brady and fast becoming one of my favorite players.

The defense shutdown the Jet's run game. Forte was more a threat catching the ball then running it.

The pass defense is the achilles heel of the defense. Still they were competitive. I just hate that I feel that every QB that plays the Patriots has one of their best games passing. It just seems the QBs have more time to pass against the Patriots then they do normally. Still it took really good throws to beat these CB's.
The Butt TD over Butler was a great throw.

Ghost missed another FG. It sure looked like it was the same problem that was effecting him earlier this year. The good news is the other kicks looked good. BB may have lost some confidence in Ghost making long FGs. It may even be affecting his time management. One of the reasons he gave about his less then stellar time management at the end of the half was he didn't want to ice the kicker.

I counted at least 4 defensive PI that were not called and we got the best of that. I sure couldn't complain that the officials were biased against the Patriots.

We needed that win to keep HF advantage in the playoffs. Miami is keeping the pressure on the Patriots.
With every game seeming to have playoff implications, I don't see BB resting Brady anytime soon.

The Jets picked up a big 3rd down on a deep crossing pattern to Marshall (I think) The Jets had 5 receivers out, and they all went wide clearing the middle for the crosser.

Ken, I'm starting to think the Pats zone issue is a combination of both the safety and LB play. I think you're right on the safeties' reading and closing ability. I haven't been looking specifically, but has anyone else noticed how the LBs are dropping into the intermediate area - are they getting deep enough to force higher throws and smaller completion windows to facilitate the safeties doing just what you describe successfully or are they getting "stuck" too shallow allowing the WRs to flatten out their routes below the zone look for easier completions?

Great job as always PFK.. your ability to encapsulate what we see from our Barcoloungers is impressive.

My impression of yesterdays game is simple.

The NYJ really wanted that win that was their second Superbowl of the year(the first being the draft)...

Fitzpatrick had an excellent game and made some excellent throws..

Brady had an off day, probably due to injury...

Tight ends were neutralized due to injury..

The Jets turned the ball over twice and the Pats blocked a FG...

Revis of today is not the Revis of old..

Trent Green is about as bad as Dan Fouts.. one might think they all need a cram course in how to not show their anti-Pats bias on national TV..

Great write up Ken, you must take notes during the games, I can't remember that many elements.

Damn impressive, Ken. I'm jealous. Just what the hell kind of brain supplements are you taking? Every week I get more senile while you seem to be just hitting your prime. I think I'll re-read your post and see if I can jump start some of my dormant brain cells....

How much of your brain power goes into your crusade against Fraudger Gotohell? :D

Last edited:
Here's what I saw yesterday:
1PM ....greetings from NJ....cut to commercials
1:02PM......kickoff....cut to commercials
3 plays....Pats timeout.....cut to commercials
Jets challenge....cut to commercials
etc
etc
etc
wash rinse repeat
The Jets crowd really kept the excitement level at a high pitched frenzy though.
And those announcers, I actually felt sorry for them and the morbid product they were forced to tease.

The game: With Brady hurt, Gronk, hurt, Bennett hurt, McCourty playing his deep center field role insuring HOF production from Fitzpatrick and Marshall, etc ..........I wish I had those 3 hours of my life back

Props to the Pats run stuffing defense.
Mitchell is very easy to root for.
Can't believe Brady is still standing.
I will also be rooting for the training staff this week to mend the Pats bread and butter...Brady/Gronk/ Bennett.
Now let's stick it up Jeff Fisher's arse next week

--Disagree that the running game "wasn't much at all." The Pats have had trouble closing out games in recent years, great to see the defense make a play and the offense close it out. That's what's supposed to happen.

--The Pats have been "lucky" healthwise this year (knock wood), in the sense that there's not a lot of guys on IR. But damn if the offense isn't gimpy right now. Great that Mitchell has stepped up, I'm in his fan club like most others here, and can't wait to see the guy in Year 2, 3, and beyond. But for now, Brady, Gronk, Bennett, Edelman, Hogan, are all hobbling to one degree or another. If playing doesn't make their injuries worse (and of course in a sense of course resting is better) then I suppose they'll keep plugging along, but I sure as hell hope this is a healthy team in the playoffs. Really want to see that.

--Derby isn't hindsight, I think most didn't like the deal at the time. Watching the Denver game, every time I heard "Derby" was irritating.

--Pass rush. Like Ghost, I think we're just going to have to cross our fingers and hope it does its job when the time comes. Yesterday Long made a play. Keep hope alive.

--OT Tip for the NFL: get rid of the commercial break after kickoffs. It's painful. Fold those commercials into other breaks throughout the game.

Here's what I saw yesterday:
1PM ....greetings from NJ....cut to commercials
1:02PM......kickoff....cut to commercials
3 plays....Pats timeout.....cut to commercials
Jets challenge....cut to commercials
etc
etc
etc
wash rinse repeat
The Jets crowd really kept the excitement level at a high pitched frenzy though.
And those announcers, I actually felt sorry for them and the morbid product they were forced to tease.

The game: With Brady hurt, Gronk, hurt, Bennett hurt, McCourty playing his deep center field role insuring HOF production from Fitzpatrick and Marshall, etc ..........I wish I had those 3 hours of my life back

This x10. At least you didn't have to stay up until 130am like me to watch that product. :D

If the BUTT CATCH turned out to be a game winner for the Yets......can you imagine the comparisons to the BUTT FUMBLE by the NY media ??? :eek:

BTW, for those lamenting our "bad" defense, did you watch Denver's D give up 20+ to Kansas City including letting them drive down to first and goal with a minute's worth of time in OT? Did you watch Seattle get their azzes handed to them by Tampa?

Even great defenses give up scores and can be beaten.

Also, on the game day page, Butler too a lot of heat for the TD pass to Enunwah. That's BS. Butler was in perfect position on the play. He timed his leap perfectly, and if he didn't leave his DNA on the ball, I'd be surprised. Unfortunately for him the guy he was covering was 6'4 and the ball was in the only spot that allowed the receiver to catch the ball and BARELY stay in bounds (if in fact he really did) Butler did his job, but sh!t happens in the NFL.

Butler also had trouble covering the 6'4" Marshall. I was having flashbacks to Kyle Arrington trying to cover Chris Matthews in SB 49.

Wow! Another terrific read, Ken!

2. RB's - I know White broke a tackle (finally) today on a key 3rd down, and was once again an effective receiver out of the backfield, but for the life of me I couldn't understand why Lewis was not the RB on that 2 point conversion. He is not only the better runner, he is also faster, and more instinctive RB than White. There is no doubt in my mind that had Lewis been the ball carrier on that play, it would have succeeded.

I tend to focus on the positive. I thought the Pats Offense played better with White on the field and was surprised by his lack of playing time. White's clutch fourth down conversion was huge. He has obviously earned a high level of trust from Brady and McDaniel that continues to build.

That said, I love having Lewis in the lineup as well.

I too remain puzzled as to why we are not using the hurry-up offense more.

Last edited:
What I'm starting to take away from this defense is this: Outside of the Seattle game (which was their worst so far this season IMO), when the game is close the defense keeps it that way. Throughout this Jets game, after the 10-0 spot, the defense made stops, turned the ball over, and generally gave a struggling (and injured) offense a chance to figure it out. We seem to give up a lot of yards and points when we have big leads, but tighten up when the game is still close.

What this tells me is that our overall level of individual talent probably isn't that high. That the coaches are able to scheme a decent game when the plays need to be made. Not always (see Seattle), but in general. But when the scheme is safer, more vanilla, like when protecting a big lead, these guys don't have the ability to just "go out there and play", while still making stops.

Time will tell if this is a fatal flaw, but this actually gives me more confidence than most that when the chips are down, BB/Patricia have enough chips to call the right play to make something happen.

Case in point, the much maligned three man rush was actually what produced the game winning turnover yesterday. Fitz had to hold the ball a little longer because of the swamp of coverage, which allowed Long to get there just in time.

BTW, for those lamenting our "bad" defense, did you watch Denver's D give up 20+ to Kansas City including letting them drive down to first and goal with a minute's worth of time in OT? Did you watch Seattle get their azzes handed to them by Tampa?

Even great defenses give up scores and can be beaten.
The Seattle game was more on the offense, but I get your point.

There was some of the typical hysteria in the game thread yesterday (one poster with a comic over-the-top tone of "YOU'RE ALL IN DENIAL, PEOPLE!" like the Body Snatchers were coming), and the point bears repeating: the Pats don't have to aspire to some Platonic Ideal of the perfect football team. Seattle's offense scored a field goal yesterday. Oakland gave up 25 or something unanswered (to their credit, they were way ahead and pulled it out anyway). Point being, there are no perfect teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots