Welcome to PatsFans.com

Uncapped Year Question to Ponder

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Box_O_Rocks, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

There is a consensus concerning the likelihood of 2010 being an uncapped year, with all the Free Agency/financial implications that brings. What impact does an uncapped year have on contract length for draft picks?

Would NE be more likely to draft at 22 or trade up a couple places if they can now squeeze a prospect for a six year contract? Could they force a second rounder to sign a five year deal?

Is Cody at #22 a more attractive option than keeping Wilfork long term if he can be signed to a six...or even a seven year deal?

Does BB now find an OLB conversion more attractive in round one if he can lock him into a six+ year deal to get a better return on the development time he'd need?
  2. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

Hopefully the Pats go up and spend the money on a blue chip prospect weather it be Haden or McClain, I think this is the year where the talent at the top may be worth the cost because its an uncapped year.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

Please state the difference in rules regarding contract length.
  4. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Under the old CBA, rookie deals were:
    picks 1-16: Up to six years.
    16-32: Up to five years.
    All picks 33 and onward: four years.
  5. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Can we address the question and keep the day dreaming about chasing high draft picks in the other threads please?
  6. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

What are the rules, under the current CBA, for a 2010 uncapped year?

7. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

Agreed. Box: I don't know where any of your ideas are coming from; AFAIK, none of the terms regarding rookie contracts are affected by the lack of a salary cap.
  8. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Which is why I'm asking the question so you folks who follow CBA implementation closer than I do can update me. Are rookie compensation/contract restrictions separate from the CBA? We know the NFL has not negotiated a rookie salary cap with the NFLPA, though they had negotiated rookie contract length with them - is the current system part of the expiring CBA or was it outside the CBA?
  9. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

Looks like you brought the "day dreaming" up first, last time I checked the combine isnt until next month so alot can happen. I believe one of the downsides to drafting a OLB in the second round last year was that It would take 2 years for the guy to grasp playing in the 3-4 and with a 4 year contract he would only have 2 years to make an impact before his contract being up. If I would have mentioned Dunlap who might require a trade up instead of Haden would it still be day dreaming? I think another question would be is it worth it to go up and get a better physical specimen (Dunlap who I question at 293lbs) versus waiting and drafting (Hughes/kindle). Is it worth the risk?