PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown's surprise cut pick: Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
All predictions aside, this RB group will absolutely be gutted after this season, Superbowl or not. Still crossing my fingers for Mark Ingram.

Not necessarily, if Maroney has his best season in the league I would look for the Pats to resign him. BB and Maroney have developed a strong relationship over the past year and I think BB sees the talent that Maroney has and would look to resign him

Re: Troy Brown: Maroney to be cut

Even if your interpretation is right, and Troy does think that Maroney will be cut, the title is still misleading. Saying "Maroney to be cut" indicates that he's stating it as a fact, and defiitely not just speculating (which is what he was doing).

Agreed. 10char.

I believe Troys quote was something along the lines of, 'this could be his last preseason here, I could definately see that happening'. Not a definite cut, but more likely than not.
That's what I heard, that "if Maroney has a bad preseason, it will be his last one here." I took that to mean he wouldn't have another preseason here, that AFTER this season, when his contract is finished, the Pats would not re-sign him.

Granted, the topic was surprise cut, but Troy was trying to avoid answering and Tanguay kept asking.

So, the question I have is: What is a surprise cut? Is it a guy who you would be surprised if he were cut? That would be Tom Brady.

If you are guessing who would be cut, wouldn't that be an expected cut, as in, "I wouldn't be surprised if xxx were cut."

This is very confusing. It is as bad as air conditioners. (If you want the room to be colder, do you turn your A.C. up or turn your A.C. down?)

That's what I heard, that "if Maroney has a bad preseason, it will be his last one here." I took that to mean he wouldn't have another preseason here, that AFTER this season, when his contract is finished, the Pats would not re-sign him.

Granted, the topic was surprise cut, but Troy was trying to avoid answering and Tanguay kept asking.

So, the question I have is: What is a surprise cut? Is it a guy who you would be surprised if he were cut? That would be Tom Brady.

If you are guessing who would be cut, wouldn't that be an expected cut, as in, "I wouldn't be surprised if xxx were cut."

This is very confusing. It is as bad as air conditioners. (If you want the room to be colder, do you turn your A.C. up or turn your A.C. down?)

My first guess is that we're looking for a balance between "plausible" and "unanticipated". For example, it wouldn't shock me one bit if Fred Taylor got cut, but I think it would surprise a lot of people, and definitely isn't expected.

Not necessarily, if Maroney has his best season in the league I would look for the Pats to resign him. BB and Maroney have developed a strong relationship over the past year and I think BB sees the talent that Maroney has and would look to resign him
You're serious? Maroney isn't playing for a contract for the Pats, he's playing for a contract to play for another team. The Pats are not going to reward a player for having one good season when it took them 4 years to finally do something. And why the hell would Maroney want to come back?

And I really hope Brown isn't serious. Because if he is, he's an f*cking idiot. The only way Maroney gets cut is if he runs backwards when given the ball or fumbles on every play. Not that Maroney is anything special, but if he gets cut, the Pats will have the worst RB's in the NFL. In fact, the Pats shouldn't even run the ball in 2010.

I think Maroney ends up like Thomas Jones; complete disappointment with his drafted team, but finds a team that fits his strengths and becomes successful.

Last edited:
I still wonder if there was not a decent RB in the mid portion of the draft to have given LoMo some real competition in camp which is what he needs to get his mediocre ass motivated.

The writing on the wall tells me Troy feels strongly that Maroney has been a huge dissapointment as a #1 draft pick and he feels he has as much of a chance of not making the team as anyone outside of Brady and Wilfork.

Sad thing is that there is no viable option other than only going with 3 players on Geritol if he gets cut and that will not happen...Maroney stays by default and lack of competition in TC..and only by default IMO

The lack of moves this summer at the RB position give me a feeling that this team will unfortunately once again be a mainly pass oriented offense and less balanced which is something I have been looking for since Dillon left - Its all on Brady's arms again to get us to the promised land.

Last edited:
You're serious? Maroney isn't playing for a contract for the Pats, he's playing for a contract to play for another team. The Pats are not going to reward a player for having one good season when it took them 4 years to finally do something. And why the hell would Maroney want to come back?

And I really hope Brown isn't serious. Because if he is, he's an f*cking idiot. The only way Maroney gets cut is if he runs backwards when given the ball or fumbles on every play. Not that Maroney is anything special, but if he gets cut, the Pats will have the worst RB's in the NFL. In fact, the Pats shouldn't even run the ball in 2010.

I think Maroney ends up like Thomas Jones; complete disappointment with his drafted team, but finds a team that fits his strengths and becomes successful.

Maroney isn't going to get cut, no need to even think about that happening.

There is a chance Maroney comes back with the Pats. From everything I've read/seen it seems like Maroney likes it in New England and playing for BB. I think he would like to have more touches than what hes got each year here but he seems to have bought into the team first attitude. I would love to resign Maroney and have him for a few more years, especially when he has his best years ahead of him.

Maroney isn't going to get cut, no need to even think about that happening.

There is a chance Maroney comes back with the Pats. From everything I've read/seen it seems like Maroney likes it in New England and playing for BB. I think he would like to have more touches than what hes got each year here but he seems to have bought into the team first attitude. I would love to resign Maroney and have him for a few more years, especially when he has his best years ahead of him.
Like Watson, Maroney will not be back.

Maroney is still under his rookie contract and is the youngest RB on the roster as of right now. I can't see him getting cut this year either when our options after that are BJGE (who I expect to be cut), Morris, and Taylor. Next year is another story, though, if we're in a position to draft Ingram with the Raiders pick. ;)

I still wonder if there was not a decent RB in the mid portion of the draft to have given LoMo some real competition in camp which is what he needs to get his mediocre ass motivated.

The writing on the wall tells me Troy feels strongly that Maroney has been a huge dissapointment as a #1 draft pick and he feels he has as much of a chance of not making the team as anyone outside of Brady and Wilfork.

Sad thing is that there is no viable option other than only going with 3 players on Geritol if he gets cut and that will not happen...Maroney stays by default and lack of competition in TC..and only by default IMO

The lack of moves this summer at the RB position give me a feeling that this team will unfortunately once again be a mainly pass oriented offense and less balanced which is something I have been looking for since Dillon left - Its all on Brady's arms again to get us to the promised land.

So you think Moss, Welker, Warren, Bodden and Mayo, just for starters, all have a chance in hell of being cut?

Maroney is not going to get cut, get hurt maybe or even probably...

If Maroney gets cut, then that 2006 draft class was the worst ever under Belichick, and the reason why we've had a championship drought.

Maroney has shown flashes that he can play, and is improving as a runner by hesitating less in the backfield, but he still is nowhere close to earning a new contract paying starter-level running back money after his current contract expires this year.

I agree, esp. with the part I bolded.

Bill's lousy drafing in 2004 and from '06 - '08 has provided us with very little young, affordable talent at backup & some starting positions, and is one of the main reasons why the Pats have been unable to hold leads (incl. the 4th quarter) in both reg. season & PO games over the past 5 years.

A strong relationship?
Then why did Bill bench LaMa after the fumbles in NO & Indy, and after Ray The Murderer (allegedly) Lewis sacked Brady (which wasn't LaMa's fault, BTW)?
Looks more like a deteriorating relationship from here.

I just can't wait to the Maroney era next year is over. I can't stand the constant defenders on this forum for the last two years of a mediocre RB whom the majority posting here want him gone.

Be honest to yourself, if he was cut, would it affect the team at all? This is a passing-oriented team, and Fred Taylor/Sammy Morris with Faulk as 3rd down would be enough for this team.

The very least Bill should've done this year was sign Fresno State's Lonyae Miller and/or UConn's Andre Dixon as UDFAs...
Or draft Rashad Jennings any time from the 5th round last year...
Or draft Jamaal Charles instead of that useless, injury-prone midget in '08...
Or draft UVA's Jason Snelling at the end of the 6th round in '07...

"Unfortunately" is right. Brady will have to throw a lot - again, and will therefore get hit a lot - again, and the offense will suffer for it - again.

Bill's lousy drafing in 2004 and from '06 - '08 has provided us with very little young, affordable talent at backup & some starting positions, and is one of the main reasons why the Pats have been unable to hold leads (incl. the 4th quarter) in both reg. season & PO games over the past 5 years.

Perhaps it was perfidious Pioli who proffered those picks

-phil (Patriots Homer of the Year)

There was a cap that year.

QUOTE=PatriotsInGA;1865455]It happened to Lawyer Milloy back in 2003 :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

This sounds spot on to me. The Pats Drafted Taylor Price, Hernandez and Gronkowski. Tate and Welker appear healthy now. Holt was signed. Moss is in a contract year. Edelman should be even better playing in only his second season as a WR. On the running side, we lost our best run blocker in Mankins, and there were zero RB's signed or drafted in the offseason.

Certainly looks like more passing is on the agenda.

I just can't wait to the Maroney era next year is over. I can't stand the constant defenders on this forum for the last two years of a mediocre RB whom the majority posting here want him gone.

Be honest to yourself, if he was cut, would it affect the team at all? This is a passing-oriented team, and Fred Taylor/Sammy Morris with Faulk as 3rd down would be enough for this team.

I actually like Maroney and want him to stay. He seems to have a good attitude, ( working one on one with BB on film after practice each week for a RB is rare ), he stays out of trouble, and he is a good kick off returner, and he doesn't have a large salary.

But to answer your question, "no", whether Maroney makes the team or not, will not affect the team at all this season. His fragile nature, dancing in the whole, fumbling problems and spotty pass protection, make him a below average RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft