PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown on Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What cost us the Superbowl was final possession down 3 points, have all 3 timeouts left, need 40 yards to tie the game, and piss the game away on four slow developing pass plays.

I have no problem with four hail marys to Randy Moss in that situation. It was the percentage play - note that one went off his fingertips around the NYG 20 yd line. I can't believe you single this out as the reason they lost the SB. Did you miss the first 59 and 1/2 minutes??

I have no problem with four hail marys to Randy Moss in that situation. It was the percentage play - note that one went off his fingertips around the NYG 20 yd line. I can't believe you single this out as the reason they lost the SB. Did you miss the first 59 and 1/2 minutes??

Probably not, but it makes it a lot more difficult to lay the entire blame for the loss at McDaniels feet. ;)

What I don't understand is why Moss doesn't jump for the ball like he used to in his Minnesota days? He did it again on Thursday night. I don't know why, but Moss likes to throw up his hands at the last second to try to trick DB's or something. If that ball was thrown in '98, it most likely would've been completed. Don't get me wrong, I love Moss, but he used to be very aggressive when balls were thrown his way.

Last edited:
I missed it, but I grew to hate him, I'm glad he's gone. He seemed OK with losing, with making excuses. NE has no place for guys like this. After BB disposes of Maroney and Watson (or more properly they dispose of themselves) there will be no more losers from that debacle in Indy left. Good, about time. There are more left over from the disaster of '07, but one thing at a time.

Watson is a lot like Russ Francis, tons of talent and ability, but he doesn't burn to win. Too nice, too comfortable, it's like he needs to have his house burn down and his dog shot (just examples, don't get all PC on me here) to get him really engaged on dealing out some punishment.

Maroney has been hurt a lot.

Both must show that they are prime time ready, or both will not be here in 2010 (Watson could be dealt now, the cap hit is pretty small, and the need for a TE in KC is pretty large, and the brain of the KC GM is very small compared to BB.)

Last edited:

That's maverick for you. He'll do everything in his power to say that it was McDaniels' fault. Just like he said it was McDaniels' use of the Shotgun that caused Brady to get "hit" one more time over the course of two seasons than Carson Palmer... But he refuses to say how those "hits" are determined. Of course, when on considers that Sacks occur on passing plays and Palmer got sacked more than Brady over the same time frame, it just gets ignored....

AWESOME!! ANOTHER 'HOBBS SUCKS' THREAD.......oh goody :rolleyes:

It's been said that Hobbs was supposed to receive safety help over the top on that play. I'm still not sure how anyone here could possibly know that unless there are Pats coaches actually posting here. But that's what was said.

Personally, I think Hobbs gets a lot of flak for no reason. I'm not going to put the blame on him for that catch because I personally do not know if he was supposed to be left 1 on 1 with Burress. Hobbs was serviceable at the very best. He made a lot of good plays for us and he gave up some plays. He should have never been thrust into the #1 position last year. In the end though, he did his job to the best of his abilities and showed a great amount of class toward the whole organization when he left. Hobbs isn't going to get any bad mouthing from me.

+100. Some people on this board overrated him, a lot more underrated him, but IMO it was pretty simple. Hobbs was a pretty good CB who was thrust into a role that was beyond his abilities, and I'm not going to hold it against him.

Last edited:
This is one of the more painfully ignorant posts that I've read on Patsfans.com. Let's go through line-by-line, shall we?

I missed it, but I grew to hate him, I'm glad he's gone. He seemed OK with losing, with making excuses.

Examples? How does one *seem* ok with losing? What excuses did he make?

After BB disposes of Maroney and Watson (or more properly they dispose of themselves) there will be no more losers from that debacle in Indy left. Good, about time.

Really? Tom Brady, Matt Light, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Nick Kaczur, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, and Ty Warren won't still be here? Why arbitrarily pick out Maroney and Watson? It's not even like you randomly picked out the guys who came since the last SB, since Watson was on the 2004 team. You're just projecting your own ignorance again.

Watson is a lot like Russ Francis, tons of talent and ability, but he doesn't burn to win.

You know this how? Did you talk to him about it? Do you have any idea what kind of work he puts in? I know I don't but I'm not the one calling him lazy. If you're going to say that he doesn't 'burn to win', then I gotta assume that you're basing it on something.

Maroney has been hurt a lot.

He's missed exactly as many games as Morris has in his Patriots career. He's injury-prone, but that's the life of a feature RB, not like it's unique to him.

Both must show that they are prime time ready, or both will not be here in 2010 (Watson could be dealt now, the cap hit is pretty small, and the need for a TE in KC is pretty large, and the brain of the KC GM is very small compared to BB.)

Did you become a Pats fan in 2005? Certainly seems it, since nobody that was around from 2001-2004 would ever be dumb enough to call Pioli stupid.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why Moss doesn't jump for the ball like he used to in his Minnesota days? He did it again on Thursday night.

Or like he did earlier in the season. We would've sent that game to OT if he had gone for the ball at its highpoint.

While the injury to Neal hurt, I think the injury to Brady was the reason why the Pats couldn't score as many points as they would've liked. Although Brady said he was "fine", I never bought it. In fact, during the super bowl, he was basically a statue in the pocket.

The Brady injury didn't hurt but not as bad as the Neal injury did. The Giant pass rush went from potent to unstoppable before and after the injury, respectively. We also saw the effects of the Neal injury early in the 2008 season when Cassel had .07 seconds to decide where he wanted to throw it before getting hit.

What cost us the Superbowl was final possession down 3 points, have all 3 timeouts left, need 40 yards to tie the game, and piss the game away on four slow developing pass plays.

:rofl: I've only been awake for 15 minutes and I've already heard the dumbest thing I'm going to hear all day.

The Brady injury didn't hurt but not as bad as the Neal injury did. The Giant pass rush went from potent to unstoppable before and after the injury, respectively. We also saw the effects of the Neal injury early in the 2008 season when Cassel had .07 seconds to decide where he wanted to throw it before getting hit.

I think the Neal injury was certainly an issue, but I don't remember Brady making any real nice passes that game. They all seemed to be "off". I remember him throwing a couple of passes over a wide open Moss's head, on the right side line, about 5 yards from the LOS.

I think the Neal injury was certainly an issue, but I don't remember Brady making any real nice passes that game. They all seemed to be "off". I remember him throwing a couple of passes over a wide open Moss's head, on the right side line, about 5 yards from the LOS.

Sorry. I had a typo in that post you quoted. It should have read, "the Brady injury DID hurt". As you can see, later on in the post, I had just woken up 15 minutes earlier. :cool: And yeah, his throws were uncharacteristically off but we'll never know how much of that had to do with his injury and how much of it had to do with the fact that he was getting hit hard everytime he dropped back. Remember that when Stephen Neal was healthy in that game, our offense marched right down the field with relative ease for a touchdown. Brady didn't seem off at all on that drive. Nor did he seem off on what would have been the game-winning drive when the Giants defense was gassed and could no longer apply the kind of pressure it did earlier in the game.

Sorry. I had a typo in that post you quoted. It should have read, "the Brady injury DID hurt". As you can see, later on in the post, I had just woken up 15 minutes earlier. :cool: And yeah, his throws were uncharacteristically off but we'll never know how much of that had to do with his injury and how much of it had to do with the fact that he was getting hit hard everytime he dropped back. Remember that when Stephen Neal was healthy in that game, our offense marched right down the field with relative ease for a touchdown. Brady didn't seem off at all on that drive. Nor did he seem off on what would have been the game-winning drive when the Giants defense was gassed and could no longer apply the kind of pressure it did earlier in the game.

Brady seemed off on a few passes - but overall, he was effective enough.

Two of the most underrated plays of that game were:

1) Matt Light (I believe) getting beat on 3rd & 6 leading to a Brady sack and the infamous 4th & 13. The Pats were, again, moving the ball pretty well and were, at worst, looking at a FG. The 4th & 13 head-scratcher still bothers to this day, as I'll take Ghost from 48 in a dome any day, but it is what it is.
2) Maroney getting stopped on 3rd & 1. Again, it felt like the Pats could've gotten in a rhythm, but failed to do so when the OL got beat and Maroney couldn't get the yard.

Honestly, I give the Giants credit for playing an amazing game on defense - but part of what stopped the Patriots offense in that game was pure circumstance. It seemed like they had very few possessions, and that they moved the ball consistently, but would end abruptly (the two aforementioned plays + the strip sack to end the half). The Giants offense also deserves credit for some long, sustained drives that kept the Pats offense off the field.

Last edited:
Those 2 plays were absolutely huge.

1) Just before the ball was snapped, I was telling our group that the 3rd/6 would be a great time for a draw because the gints, expecting the pass, would have their ears pinned back for the rush. A draw prob. at worst would have set up a 4th/short and a possible attempt for the 1st down.

2) Not only was Maroney stopped on 3rd/1, but he was also stopped on 2nd/1 on the previous play. 2nd/1 would've been a perfect opportunity for play-action. Now, had Pierre Woods not allowed a RB weighing 50 lbs. less to wrest control of the fumble away from him on the subsequent series, then the failure of 2nd/3rd and 1 would not have mattered at all.

2 bad calls by Bill & Skippy on an evening full of bad calls, bad execution, bad everything.

Ahh, bad times, bad times...

Brady seemed off on a few passes - but overall, he was effective enough.

Two of the most underrated plays of that game were:

1) Matt Light (I believe) getting beat on 3rd & 6 leading to a Brady sack and the infamous 4th & 13. The Pats were, again, moving the ball pretty well and were, at worst, looking at a FG. The 4th & 13 head-scratcher still bothers to this day, as I'll take Ghost from 48 in a dome any day, but it is what it is.
2) Maroney getting stopped on 3rd & 1. Again, it felt like the Pats could've gotten in a rhythm, but failed to do so when the OL got beat and Maroney couldn't get the yard.

Honestly, I give the Giants credit for playing an amazing game on defense - but part of what stopped the Patriots offense in that game was pure circumstance. It seemed like they had very few possessions, and that they moved the ball consistently, but would end abruptly (the two aforementioned plays + the strip sack to end the half). The Giants offense also deserves credit for some long, sustained drives that kept the Pats offense off the field.

it was actually a 4th and 18 i believe. they should have kicked the 50 yard field goal but going for it was not a good idea - at least should have pooched punted it.

Actually, the one thing that I think cost us the Super Bowl was the Stephen Neal injury. Not the Brady injury.

I'd say it was a combination of a banged up line and TB's limited ability to move.

It's not like BB to jettison a hustle player unless there is another factor involved. Sure, Ellis was mis-cast as a #1, but he could still have a role on the team as a nickel/returner.

When I see a player sold for pennies on the dollar I suspect some form of "turd/personality" factor.

Several players commented on Hobb's super-sized ego. Hobbs himself commented on the Patriots understated MO as cramping his style. It may be that Troy got his digs in because he simply did not like the guy.

We became one dimensional allowing the Giants to tee off on tom on every single play without hesitating. and they had the players to do it.

We won two Championships with a balanced offense featuring Pokey Antowain and Faulk. All we needed was to run a bit, beat on their linemen and make them hesitate. We could have won anyway, but no second half running sealed our fate as a pass only losing team, playing right into the strength of our opponent..

It's not like BB to jettison a hustle player unless there is another factor involved. Sure, Ellis was mis-cast as a #1, but he could still have a role on the team as a nickel/returner.

When I see a player sold for pennies on the dollar I suspect some form of "turd/personality" factor.

Several players commented on Hobb's super-sized ego. Hobbs himself commented on the Patriots understated MO as cramping his style. It may be that Troy got his digs in because he simply did not like the guy.

Eh, I highly doubt this. Hobbs could have trashed BB and the Pats organization but chose to say nothing but glowing things about the franchise and has yet to mouth off since. Not saying that your explanation isn't possible, just that I have doubts about it given the evidence at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft