PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown on Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on an Eagles forum. According to a local beat writer, Hobbs is 4th on their CB depth chart.

Although the Eagles have a decent CB crew, it gives some perspective on how awful our secondary was.

That doesn't say that Hobbs is 4th on the depth chart.

No not specifically.

But I found it interesting that as of August 16th, the DC's comments making it seem as if he's contending for the nickel spot rather than for a starters role.

Would you agree?

"One of the problems, although it's a good problem to have, for McDermott is sorting out all of the talent in the secondary. At cornerback, McDermott has two Pro Bowl-caliber players in Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown, but also an outstanding nickel corner in Joselio Hanson and another solid veteran with extensive experience in Ellis Hobbs. McDermott said that the secondary is shaping out the way he envisioned."

No not specifically.

But I found it interesting that as of August 16th, the DC's comments making it seem as if he's contending for the nickel spot rather than for a starters role.

Would you agree?

"One of the problems, although it's a good problem to have, for McDermott is sorting out all of the talent in the secondary. At cornerback, McDermott has two Pro Bowl-caliber players in Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown, but also an outstanding nickel corner in Joselio Hanson and another solid veteran with extensive experience in Ellis Hobbs. McDermott said that the secondary is shaping out the way he envisioned."

No, not at all. From what I've heard, and from what I see here, Hobbs is competing for the starting job against Brown. Either Brown or Hobbs will start opposite of Samuel, and the loser will spell the outside corners. The nickel spot is Hanson's, and it's a separate issue.

Last edited:
"LOSERS
Shawn Andrews: Didn’t play a single snap at Lehigh for the second straight year. I can hear Jon Runyan’s voice in the locker room already.

Lorenzo Booker: Entered camp competing for the No. 2 RB spot. Leaves with legit questions about his chance to make the team. Third-stringer Eldra Buckley, a hard runner, has more value in short-yardage and goal-line scenarios than Booker does.

Ellis Hobbs: Sheldon Brown’s not going anywhere. Hobbs will probably fare better once he gets a grip on the new defense, but he was torched too often at Lehigh to think he’ll crack the starting lineup by the opener."

Man, I have hard time reading these things clearly.:rolleyes:

"LOSERS
Shawn Andrews: Didn’t play a single snap at Lehigh for the second straight year. I can hear Jon Runyan’s voice in the locker room already.

Lorenzo Booker: Entered camp competing for the No. 2 RB spot. Leaves with legit questions about his chance to make the team. Third-stringer Eldra Buckley, a hard runner, has more value in short-yardage and goal-line scenarios than Booker does.

Ellis Hobbs: Sheldon Brown’s not going anywhere. Hobbs will probably fare better once he gets a grip on the new defense, but he was torched too often at Lehigh to think he’ll crack the starting lineup by the opener."

Man, I have hard time reading these things clearly.:rolleyes:

Well, perhaps comprehension isn't your strong suit:

Hobbs v. Brown....

That would be precisely what I've posted. Twice.

According to most of what I've seen, heard and read, Hobbs and Brown are battling for the starting right cornerback job.

Hobbs is competing for the starting job against Brown. Either Brown or Hobbs will start opposite of Samuel, and the loser will spell the outside corners.

Well, perhaps comprehension isn't your strong suit:

Hobbs v. Brown....

That would be precisely what I've posted. Twice.

In the previous article, they mentioned that they had a kid who played a great nickel.

So he's not competing for the nickel spot.

He's not competing for Asante's spot.

Based on training camp.....Brown's got his spot locked up. So where does that leave Hobbs?

In the previous article, they mentioned that they had a kid who played a great nickel.

Based on training camp.....Brown's got his spot locked up. So where does that leave Hobbs?

That is ONE outsider's opinion on what he saw. That isn't FACT. You seem to have a hard time telling the difference.

Are you incapable of reading comprehension this evening, or are you being this way on purpose?

No, not at all. From what I've heard, and from what I see here, Hobbs is competing for the starting job against Brown. Either Brown or Hobbs will start opposite of Samuel, and the loser will spell the outside corners. The nickel spot is Hanson's, and it's a separate issue.

I don't find that paragraph difficult to follow.

Last edited:
Are you incapable of reading comprehension this evening, or are you being this way on purpose?

I don't find that paragraph difficult to follow.

But at this point in camp. Hobbs is 4th on the depth chart.

That seems equally easy to understand.

That is ONE outsider's opinion on what he saw. That isn't FACT. You seem to have a hard time telling the difference.

Oh jeez you again?

So let me see.

I make a statement that Hobbs is 4th on the Philly depth chart based on chatter in a Philly forum.

Someone disagrees, said they've heard the opposite. Fine. Gotta substantiate that since I don't have video(although the video thing backfired on a previous thread).

I try to find some articles from the persective of someone whom has seen Hobbs in action.

Got a couple of things that may corroberate.

I proved my point.

So now I want you and Cato to show me proof where EHIII is truly threatening Brown's place on the depth chart.

Last edited:
But at this point in camp. Hobbs is 4th on the depth chart.

That seems equally easy to understand.

Your assertion is incorrect. Hobbs is 3rd on the depth chart. It's a battle for the outside spots, not the nickel position. You're viewing the nickel spot as if it's going to the #3 CB when that's not the case.

Your assertion is incorrect. Hobbs is 3rd on the depth chart. It's a battle for the outside spots, not the nickel position. You're viewing the nickel spot as if it's going to the #3 CB when that's not the case.

So the nickelback is not included in the overall CB depth chart?

or

the nickelback is fourth in the depth chart?

Explain.

So the nickelback is not included in the overall CB depth chart?

or

the nickelback is fourth in the depth chart?

Explain.

I've explained it already. Twice, I believe.

Nickelback (American football)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A "nickel" defense with three cornerbacks, lined up against an offense playing three wide receiversFor the Canadian rock band, see Nickelback.
In American football, a nickelback is a cornerback who serves as the fifth (in addition to the typical four) defensive back on the defense. A base defense contains four defensive backs, consisting of two cornerbacks, and two safeties. Adding an extra back makes five, hence the term "nickel", which is the name for 5-cent coins in the United States and Canada. Usually the nickelback will take the place of a linebacker, so if the team was in a 4-3 formation, there would now be four linemen, only two linebackers and five defensive backs creating a 4-2-5 formation. However, some teams will replace a lineman rather than a linebacker, creating a three linemen, three linebacker and five defensive back alignment, a 3-3-5 formation. If an offensive team always uses three or more wide receivers, a defense may turn to a nickel defense for their base package on most plays. Usually extra defensive backs, such as a nickelback, are substituted into the defense in situations where the opposing offense is likely to attempt a forward pass, such as 3rd-and-long, or when extra receivers are substituted into the opposing offense.

The nickelback is the third cornerback on the depth chart. The nickelback is not considered a starting position because the starting formation for a defense has only two cornerbacks. Defensive formations with four or more cornerbacks are used often enough that a nickelback will usually see moderate playing time (particularly in the modern, pass-oriented NFL) as well as subbing in for the starting corners.

Nickelback (American football)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A "nickel" defense with three cornerbacks, lined up against an offense playing three wide receiversFor the Canadian rock band, see Nickelback.
In American football, a nickelback is a cornerback who serves as the fifth (in addition to the typical four) defensive back on the defense. A base defense contains four defensive backs, consisting of two cornerbacks, and two safeties. Adding an extra back makes five, hence the term "nickel", which is the name for 5-cent coins in the United States and Canada. Usually the nickelback will take the place of a linebacker, so if the team was in a 4-3 formation, there would now be four linemen, only two linebackers and five defensive backs creating a 4-2-5 formation. However, some teams will replace a lineman rather than a linebacker, creating a three linemen, three linebacker and five defensive back alignment, a 3-3-5 formation. If an offensive team always uses three or more wide receivers, a defense may turn to a nickel defense for their base package on most plays. Usually extra defensive backs, such as a nickelback, are substituted into the defense in situations where the opposing offense is likely to attempt a forward pass, such as 3rd-and-long, or when extra receivers are substituted into the opposing offense.

The nickelback is the third cornerback on the depth chart. The nickelback is not considered a starting position because the starting formation for a defense has only two cornerbacks. Defensive formations with four or more cornerbacks are used often enough that a nickelback will usually see moderate playing time (particularly in the modern, pass-oriented NFL) as well as subbing in for the starting corners.

Ok, DaBruinz had you pegged. Off to iggy land for you. Wikipedia?

Well, thanks for the laugh on your last visible post. The Eagles aren't using the nickel position for the loser of the battle between Brown and Hobbs. It's not being used as the repository for the team's 3rd best corner. It's been specifically set aside, regardless of who wins the Brown/Hobbs battle.

This should have been easy for you to fathom, given that the Patriots did the same thing with Wheatley and Wilhite at the start of last season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing