PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown given offer to stick around

Having a hard time correlating our WR play to Troy Brown specifically.

in order I would speculate our lack of output is due to
1. Lack of talent
2. three different OC's/Lack of continuity in offense
3. Poor QB play (and inability for receivers to build chemistry with QBs due to switching)
4. Horrid OL play (WRs cant get open)
5. WR coach

Can probably throw injuries in there somewhere as well.

He did develop a once college qb (Meyers), a late round pick (Douglas) into productive players.

On the flip side - hard to argue that they are getting the most out of Parker/JuJu and Tyquan Thorton

Last edited:
My Perspective

1) The 2023 WR coach Roo Douglas has left and is the WR at Syracuse where he played. He was NOT asked to come back, at least as far as we know.

2) Troy Brown was the Receivers/WR Coach and was asked to come back, although the role is TBD, as was the case after the offer to the Belichick kids.

3) After Troy decides, then the WR coach will be named.

4) Personally, I'd like us to bring in a different WR coach. I welcome keeping Troy on as a Receiver Coach and in other non-coaching roles.

The QB School guy (YouTube ) on several occasions pointed out what ****ty routes the Pats receivers ran.

For example:
On a goal line situation, Parker ran an out route towards the corner of the endzone. The QB guy pointed out he did not make any form of stab or fake to the inside to freeze/slow the DB. He ran a lazy rounded route that was easily covered and the ball had to be thrown away.

This is not an isolated incident.
That's on the coach. Either unmotivated players, or just plain sloppy coaching.
That's why I was hoping they would upgrade that position.

The concern here is from consistent reports of poor WR route running the last two seasons. Whether fault lies with the players, coaches or the system, who knows for sure. It wouldn't seem to reflect well on Troy Brown but we'll see.

Coaching up our WR room: It’s like being told to build a beautiful mansion and the only tools the front office gave were a pool noodle and a set of 30 weight ball bearings.

My biggest disappointment is with Thornton. Is that on the WR coach or is he just a bust? Idk, but it looks like a bust.

Did a great job with pop, as of right now pop Douglas is our best WR...

My biggest disappointment is with Thornton. Is that on the WR coach or is he just a bust?

Douglas seemed like the star of training camp from day one. I didn't think his game improved as the year worn on, but could be wrong.

But Thornton? Too many are writing him off as a bust, but Thornton is a second round pick. He has obvious skill. I saw zero improvement in his game.

Douglas seemed like the star of training camp from day one. I didn't think his game improved as the year worn on, but could be wrong.

But Thornton? Too many are writing him off as a bust, but Thornton is a second round pick. He has obvious skill. I saw zero improvement in his game.
Pops game did improve as the season went on. Remember there were games where for some odd reason he wasn't starting however whenever he was in the game they moved the ball. He missed time and ended up with 545 yards on the season he led the team! As of today he and KB are the teams 2 best WRs. Yeah Thornton he's going down the bust road of many patriots WRs before him. We'll see if AVP can get him to reach potential.

I 100% disagree

Being a good or even great player should give you zero reason to believe that he will be a good coach.

He didn’t have great speed or amazing quickness, but he ran good routes, studied CBs, had great technique. That’s what I meant when I said, “given his playing style . . .” I thought that was pretty obvious.

Let's be clear.

1) Over the past 4 years, our QB's have been the very worst in the league.

2) Our WR quality has been of below average quality, putting it gently.

3) Most recently, in 2023, our WR talent included Douglas, an injured Shuster, Carter, Thornton, Butte and Reagor.

4) Our OT's have been a total disaster.
==========
CONCLUSION
Fire the WR coach. Really?
=========
I'm 100% fine with a new Receivers Coach and Assistant. The OC should be able to bring in his own staff. HOWEVER, Brown is useful enough not to be fired. He can certainly continue with the returners and with doing such tasks as helping with college all star games, combines, pro visits and other tasks that the staff needs to be done.

That being said, it is not clear whether the team want Brown as WR Coach, prbably not. So, as with others, the team will wait until he has made his choice. Then the team will proceed.

To be clear. Brown sucks.

My biggest disappointment is with Thornton. Is that on the WR coach or is he just a bust? Idk, but it looks like a bust.
I was watching the patriots introduction on AVP, I like what he said. He said he works with all the skill guys to enhance what they do well and work on what they don't do well. He went on to say he tailors the offense to the type of players and not the other way around. I really liked what he had to say as a coach. It's encouraging. I believe he can do something with Thornton as...he does have 1 element you can't coach elite speed.

Coaching up our WR room: It’s like being told to build a beautiful mansion and the only tools the front office gave were a pool noodle and a set of 30 weight ball bearings.
Problem is very easy. No elite WRs In the offense. Adding 1 elite guy would allow every one to play at thier level. KB is a #3, Parker and juju are #4s at this stage in thier careers. Pop can be a#2 in this league in the slot. Bring in Ridley or Pittman Jr.. now we have something..

The QB School guy (YouTube ) on several occasions pointed out what ****ty routes the Pats receivers ran.

For example:
On a goal line situation, Parker ran an out route towards the corner of the endzone. The QB guy pointed out he did not make any form of stab or fake to the inside to freeze/slow the DB. He ran a lazy rounded route that was easily covered and the ball had to be thrown away.

This is not an isolated incident.
That's on the coach. Either unmotivated players, or just plain sloppy coaching.
That's why I was hoping they would upgrade that position.
You'll need to pick a better example than "Last in Separation 4 years in a row with 2 different teams" Parker. That dude can't be helped, as evidenced by his lack of accountability for dropping that perfect pass from Mac. Frankly, extending Parker and not re-signing TB80's protege Jakobi must've been a huge kick in the groin. If Parker's coming back, I'm not sure TB80 would want to be back here anyway.

The question I have is who is the best WR coach right now? Hard to argue against WR coach "lifer" and former SB champ Eric Yarber over with the Rams. What makes him so good? At this point it can't be lucking out into very talented Mid Rounds talent.

I don’t get it. Given his playing style, he should be a good WR coach, but the results aren’t there for some reason.
Sometimes the best players don't make good coaches because they can't explain to others what comes naturally to them.

I rememebr Thierry Henry (soccer) once talking about being asked how he does what he does (he was a magician with a ball) and his answer was I just do it. I don't even think about it.

I really want him to work out as he is the only tangible link to our beginning left but his results leave a lot to be desired. The fact that he "was offered to stay" probably means a demotion.

Last edited:
Sometimes the best players don't make good coaches because they can't explain to others what comes naturally to them.

I rememebr Thierry Henry (soccer) once talking about being asked how he does what he does (he was a magician with a ball) ans his answer was I just do it. I don't even think about.

I really want him to work out as he is the only tangible link to our beginning left but his results leave a lot to be desired. The fact that he "was offered to stay" probably means a demotion.
Ted Williams. Legendary player. Terrible coach/manager.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back