PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown given offer to stick around

I really don't want him coaching WR's.
Me neither, but at the end of the day I’ve gotta trust that they know better than I do. I don’t see the guy coach or run his meetings. If they want him back, they must like what they see. Perhaps they believe it’s a talent issue and not a coaching issue.

Correlation doesn’t mean causation but our receivers have probably been at our absolute worst with Troy Brown as their coach. In three years I can only think of three receivers who performed reasonably well (Meyers, Bourne, Douglas).

I’ve gotta assume they just couldn’t really find anyone better.

Correlation doesn’t mean causation but our receivers have probably been at our absolute worst with Troy Brown as their coach. In three years I can only think of three receivers who performed reasonably well (Meyers, Bourne, Douglas).

I’ve gotta assume they just couldn’t really find anyone better.
1707925813116.gif

I was hoping for a new voice, but our wide receivers are going to succeed or fail ultimately based on talent, the QB throwing to them, and how well Van Pelt gets things up to speed. The results the last two years (if you adjust for the talent of the receivers) have been mixed at best, and how much of that blame to put on Brown versus Patricia/O'Brien and Mac/Zappe is up for debate:

Meyers progressed well
Bourne (for 2 out of 3 years) was very good, and the year he wasn't I don't think was due to a position coach.

Thornton, Parker, JuJu were all disappointments.

Douglas had good statistical success, but had issues with some of the technical aspects of the position. But he's a rookie, so I consider this neutral on Brown's resume.

I don't think it's fair to judge anyone on players like Boutte or Reagor.

EDIT: N'Keal Harry is a major knock on him as well, though there's been enough discourse around that decision in general that I don't think he should take ALL of that blame. It's not like Harry went off as soon as he got another coach.

Last edited:
Marvin Harrison Jr will like him.

I don’t get it. Given his playing style, he should be a good WR coach, but the results aren’t there for some reason.

Mayo has been on the practice field for three years on the opposite side of Brown. So he is absolutely in a position to judge whether the screw-ups (wrong routes etc.) have been from the WR coaching or from the players (QB as well as receivers) themselves.

I don’t get it. Given his playing style, he should be a good WR coach, but the results aren’t there for some reason.
I 100% disagree

Being a good or even great player should give you zero reason to believe that he will be a good coach.

No doubt Underwood will be able to correct any of TB's shortcomings.

This organization actually thinks everything was Bills fault.

We're ****ed.

This organization actually thinks everything was Bills fault.

We're ****ed.
That’s a bit harsh. We may not be seeing the grand cleaning that many wanted to see but dude, that offensive coaching staff has almost been completely overhauled. New ST’s coordinator, some defensive coaching additions and there’s still positions to fill.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back