PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown given offer to stick around

Correlation doesn’t mean causation but our receivers have probably been at our absolute worst with Troy Brown as their coach. In three years I can only think of three receivers who performed reasonably well (Meyers, Bourne, Douglas).

I’ve gotta assume they just couldn’t really find anyone better.
Could it be that the receivers have been at their absolute worst with Mac as the QB?

No doubt Underwood will be able to correct any of TB's shortcomings.
Underwood is being hired as an Assistant Receivers Coach. the staff must see hope that he can be helpful in working with whoever is the Receivers Coach. I like hiring and developing assistants. I hope that we hire many more.

I agree with folks regarding Brown. I hope that we hire a Receivers Coach and have Brown as a Returners Coach. I expect that Brown is capable of doing other duties. I expect that he might go to the combine or to pro dates.

That’s a bit harsh. We may not be seeing the grand cleaning that many wanted to see but dude, that offensive coaching staff has almost been completely overhauled. New ST’s coordinator, some defensive coaching additions and there’s still positions to fill.

No one can in their right mind can say that Brown deserves to keep his job based on the results over the last 5 years or whatever he's been here.

Mayo throwing him a bone and keeping him on staff in any capacity doesn't make sense.

No one can in their right mind can say that Brown deserves to keep his job based on the results over the last 5 years or whatever he's been here.

Mayo throwing him a bone and keeping him on staff in any capacity doesn't make sense.
I agree. I don’t want him back either but I can also admit that I have no clue what he actually does behind the scenes. I doubt Mayo is throwing him a bone. He must see some value in what Brown brings to the table. It might end up being a moot discussion anyways. He was offered to come back, but article doesn’t state whether or not he has accepted.

The Horror!
1707932431564.gif

I agree. I don’t want him back either but I can also admit that I have no clue what he actually does behind the scenes. I doubt Mayo is throwing him a bone. He must see some value in what Brown brings to the table. It might end up being a moot discussion anyways. He was offered to come back, but article doesn’t state whether or not he has accepted.

The bold is an important distinction here, because we heard the same things about the Belichick boys. They were "offered positions to stay with the team" but we don't know what those positions were, and obviously it was enticing enough for Brian to stay, but not Steve. It's entirely possible they're offering him a job as a returners coach, and he decides he'd rather coach WR in college or something. We don't know enough yet to say.

(Originally posted in the tracker thread, but moving it here instead).

Feels like the bad blood he had here was with Belichick, so I'd be all for it. I am surprised he's not a WR coach, as he seems like the kind of guy that won with headiness and technique more so than natural physical gifts. Brady always trusted him in big spots for that exact reason: Dude knew where to be and when to be there.

That said, all of those things could be said about Troy Brown too, and no one is sold on him as a WR coach. But still, I say get Danny in the building and see what happens.

He had nothing to work with. If you're relying on a Coach to teach a WR how to play in this generation of the NFL, you have a major talent problem.

You immediately saw with Harry he didn't have it while Meyers did. Douglas is the latest to outperform another high pick Tyquan Thornton. Brown will be able to offer his knowledge to guys guys that actually have it.

I have to assume that Troy's upside was understanding the EP system. Too many times though it seemed like we had receivers running into each other. If we are going to a west coast offense it would appear that it would diminish his value further.

I still love me some Troy Brown though. What a great player.

Results aren’t there because our WRs aren’t good. Our drafting and free agent fails caused this. We have #3 type talent as our #1. That’s not on the WR coach. That’s on the personnel people *cough Belichick cough*

I have no idea what Troy does behind the scenes, so no comment on that.

BUT I do know this: Troy has been close to the Krafts since very early in his career. Not only Robert Kraft, but Myra Kraft as well.

Underwood is being hired as an Assistant Receivers Coach. the staff must see hope that he can be helpful in working with whoever is the Receivers Coach. I like hiring and developing assistants. I hope that we hire many more.

I agree with folks regarding Brown. I hope that we hire a Receivers Coach and have Brown as a Returners Coach. I expect that Brown is capable of doing other duties. I expect that he might go to the combine or to pro dates.
:zzz:

Because the new HC has zero experiences/connections outside the Patriots organization...
The new HC is instituting his own version of Bill's Friends & Family staff......

OIP.2wSV7Wgn7zPmzZRozeVwKAHaEY
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

OIP.bP95rJgouwxZGYjm_v4GTQHaEm
OIP.T_csgHPQ_utJKqx5Aq34fQAAAA

Last edited:

Let's be clear.

1) Over the past 4 years, our QB's have been the very worst in the league.

2) Our WR quality has been of below average quality, putting it gently.

3) Most recently, in 2023, our WR talent included Douglas, an injured Shuster, Carter, Thornton, Butte and Reagor.

4) Our OT's have been a total disaster.
==========
CONCLUSION
Fire the WR coach. Really?
=========
I'm 100% fine with a new Receivers Coach and Assistant. The OC should be able to bring in his own staff. HOWEVER, Brown is useful enough not to be fired. He can certainly continue with the returners and with doing such tasks as helping with college all star games, combines, pro visits and other tasks that the staff needs to be done.

That being said, it is not clear whether the team want Brown as WR Coach, prbably not. So, as with others, the team will wait until he has made his choice. Then the team will proceed.

(Originally posted in the tracker thread, but moving it here instead).

Feels like the bad blood he had here was with Belichick, so I'd be all for it. I am surprised he's not a WR coach, as he seems like the kind of guy that won with headiness and technique more so than natural physical gifts. Brady always trusted him in big spots for that exact reason: Dude knew where to be and when to be there.

That said, all of those things could be said about Troy Brown too, and no one is sold on him as a WR coach. But still, I say get Danny in the building and see what happens.
Most commonly used phrase on Patsfans.com

Could it be that the receivers have been at their absolute worst with Mac as the QB?
It could be. But there was definitely some shoddy route running and errors in fundamentals.

Does Brown deserve any blame for that? I don’t know tbh. But I’d rather we’d have just moved on if we thought there was someone better.

Like others have mentioned. He didn’t have a lot to work with.

Still a big supporter to bring in wr coach Cortez Hankton from LSU if for some reason Brown doesn’t stick around. Especially if they draft Jayden Daniels who was the passing game coordinator as well.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back