PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading #22/#42 to Jacksonville for #10 might make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not according to BB, who said at the time that Mayo graded out higher than any linebacker (presumably that was on the board when their turn came) in years.

i do think mayo is a good LB that got hurt and cam back to fast and played in back of a front 3 that was not as good with out seymour and had lots of injurys. but BB also said that burgess is the best OLB he ever had.

They are desperate to get Tebow for their fan base. They know that their own pick at #10 is a reach and nobody else will take him nearly that high.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure your premise is correct. Fans in north Florida would like to see them draft Tebow. The Governor has all but passed a law requiring the Jags to draft Tebow.

Does Wayne Weaver want Tebow? Does Wayne Weaver want to remain in Jacksonville, which I'm guessing is the 32nd best market in the NFL? If Weaver wants to sell the franchise, or to move it to LA, he should instruct his GM NOT to draft Tebow.

It's going to be hard for Wilf to move the Vikings to LA right now. Spanos would love to move the Chargers there, and if Jacksonville doens't take it first, I have no doubt the Chargers will be playing there by 2012, unless a surprising about-face occurs in the public money for new stadium issue, which given California's economy almost certainly won't happen.

i do think mayo is a good LB that got hurt and cam back to fast and played in back of a front 3 that was not as good with out seymour and had lots of injurys. but BB also said that burgess is the best OLB he ever had.

I hate how that quote is constantly taken out of context. BB was responding to a question about Burgess' progress in 2009. He clearly meant that he felt Burgess played the most consistently of the group of OLBs that the Pats had in 2009, NOT that he was the best of ALL linebackers he's EVER coached. Jumping to that conclusion is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
I hate how that quote is constantly taken out of context. BB was responding to a question about Burgess' progress in 2009. He clearly meant that he felt Burgess played the most consistently of the group of OLBs that the Pats had in 2009, NOT that he was the best of ALL linebackers he's EVER coached. Jumping to that conclusion is just ridiculous.

Considering he's had Lawrence Taylor, I would tend to agree.

We'd play McClain at SILB and let Mayo make some plays in the WILB position.

Missed my point. McClain and Mayo at ILB would be an upgrade over Mayo and Guyton on running downs, but not in the nickel. Is it worth trading up for that? Is the upgrade enough to surrender #42? Or would you be better off bringing in a FA and a draft choice to compete with McKenzie as a run stopper at SILB?

If McClain can move outside on passing downs, then that's a consideration. I don't want to be playing him out of position there, though, if there are three down OLB's available to be drafted (JPP, Lane).

All this group needs to do now is learn how to tackle.
My whole point exactly. The Pats Safeties are terrible tacklers. All who mock, please rate them as a group A,B,C,D. Tackling C-or D+ is what I see. Let's be honest.

I hear mixed reviews on Mays. I would rather see another Safety that can tackle and I am not sold on Merriweather. How about this...some Safety that can tackle? Last year everyone on this Board wanted Mays this year. Did he have an off year? He is still rated as a first round pick

In all fairness to Chung he still has the training wheels on.
DW Toys

I feel confident in saying that Taylor Mays will not play safety very well nor very long in the NFL. He's possibly a decent 4-3 WLB. His ceiling is Carolina's Thomas Davis, but I think there's a miniscule chance he turns out to be that good.

What's Nic Harris doing these days?

You have quite a memory!
DW Toys

So, we've turned the calendar. James Sanders had his year. Now it ie Meriweather's turn! And, yes, Chung still has his training wheels on as a safety, just as Sanders did in his first two years.

And will you allow McGowan to share in your disdain for our safeties, which must be the position at which we are LEAST likely to draft a player.

You have quite a memory!
DW Toys

They need a pass rushing OLB or a run stuffing ILB with leadership like Mcclain a lot more. Other higher needs include OG/C, RB, WR, CB (if Bodden leaves).

True. And you also correctly pointed out several other high needs. OG/C, RB, #3 WR, OLB, TE (if Watson gone), DE, and CB (if Bodin gone). Furthermore, in FA if Pats lose Bodin, TBC, Burgess, Green, and if Wilfork is not extended - then that is ALOT of holes to fill. A. Thomas could be gone as well. Even if only half of those players leave - that is alot of defensive snaps lost, that someone has to make up for. Sure we could sign some FA's to fill but we all know BB defense takes some time to pick up.

SO....I don't get why so many on this thread are in such a haste to trade our high draft picks to grab one player. After how Pats played in '09 - are we ONLY one stud player away from dominance again? (like '03 & '04). We are several players away so keep our picks especially in this deep draft. Let this draft fall to us and take the BPA for the many holes we have. Take as many as possible to restock the team for '10. THEN, in 2011 draft use Oaklands (hopefully) high 1st rounder and Pats own 1st and 2nd move up and target 2-3 big studs to put us over the top.

Summary: I suggest Pats usual approach for the 2010 draft and then Jets draft approach (move up in first round with Pats own pick) in 2011 draft.

Further tip, trade down in 2010 from # 22 to lower in first round (28-32) and pick up the (lost) third rounder in this deep draft.

We will still be in contention for AFC East title for this approach in 2010 . If another division title and therefore in the playoffs - anything can happen. But if we want to get back to dominance again (defensive) we need to restock several defensive positions with high draft picks (first two rounds ie. top 64 talent). Not to mention a few more skill positions on offense. DON'T do Jets approach this year in this deep draft. :bricks:

That happened to me once but she wouldnt give me my money back.

OMG! That's sounds like a woman I nearly married!

Of course, I wasn't drinking at the time. But as soon as I got drunked up and realized what was going on, I got the he11 out of there.

I feel confident in saying that Taylor Mays will not play safety very well nor very long in the NFL. He's possibly a decent 4-3 WLB. His ceiling is Carolina's Thomas Davis, but I think there's a miniscule chance he turns out to be that good.

What's Nic Harris doing these days?

Not playing safety.

Buffalo is still trying to turn him into an LB (rosta ruck).

Oh, wait! As if you didn't already know that.

My whole point exactly. The Pats Safeties are terrible tacklers. All who mock, please rate them as a group A,B,C,D. Tackling C-or D+ is what I see. Let's be honest.

I hear mixed reviews on Mays. I would rather see another Safety that can tackle and I am not sold on Merriweather. How about this...some Safety that can tackle? Last year everyone on this Board wanted Mays this year. Did he have an off year? He is still rated as a first round pick

In all fairness to Chung he still has the training wheels on.
DW Toys

Seemed to me that McGowan actually tackled pretty well - at least the best of that group. Of course, he was like nitro-glycerin to our coverage, and not in a good way. Sort of the "anti-Meriweather", overall.

If we could somehow come up with a guy who can work in coverage as well as Meriweather and play the run as well as McGowan - to replace McGowan - that would be a good thing. Not saying I'd spend a 2rd rounder this year to do that, but still.

So, we've turned the calendar. James Sanders had his year. Now it ie Meriweather's turn! And, yes, Chung still has his training wheels on as a safety, just as Sanders did in his first two years.

And will you allow McGowan to share in your disdain for our safeties, which must be the position at which we are LEAST likely to draft a player.

Cousin, I like McGowan for what BB spent on him and the production we got. He was supposed to be an ST guy and he was fourth in tackles on the Team. He is a better tackler than Sanders will ever be. He also covers better.
Merriweather is inconsistent and is still a talent to keep and work to get better. I think he is not a Mensa candidate. McGowan was never supposed to that job so calls and positioning were an issue. He was not the answer in that job. Sanders does fine with that but has limited talent and slow. These are all fair assumptions Cousins.

Chung has a tremendous upside and shows some sparks. I think he starts a bunch in 2010.

Without seeing much of Chung, I think McGowan is the best tackler at least in 2009 of our Safeties. I think Merriweather the best cover guy and Sanders the best DB "QB".

Disdain? No. Underachievers? Yes. But we won more games than we lost with McGowan starting against more quality teams than when Sanders started, and McGowan held Dallas Clark to 4 catches in the Colts game. So I think McGowan did a reasonable job no one expected him to do.

Sould there be an upgrade?

DW Toys

Cousin, I like McGowan for what BB spent on him and the production we got. He was supposed to be an ST guy and he was fourth in tackles on the Team. He is a better tackler than Sanders will ever be. He also covers better.
Merriweather is inconsistent and is still a talent to keep and work to get better. I think he is not a Mensa candidate. McGowan was never supposed to that job so calls and positioning were an issue. He was not the answer in that job. Sanders does fine with that but has limited talent and slow. These are all fair assumptions Cousins.

Chung has a tremendous upside and shows some sparks. I think he starts a bunch in 2010.

Without seeing much of Chung, I think McGowan is the best tackler at least in 2009 of our Safeties. I think Merriweather the best cover guy and Sanders the best DB "QB".

Disdain? No. Underachievers? Yes. But we won more games than we lost with McGowan starting against more quality teams than when Sanders started, and McGowan held Dallas Clark to 4 catches in the Colts game. So I think McGowan did a reasonable job no one expected him to do.

Sould there be an upgrade?

DW Toys

Should there be an upgrade? Not in 2010. 2 main reasons:

1. Continuity and development are more important for the secondary right now than upgrading talent. We did that in 2009 with Chung, Butler, Bodden, Springs and McGowan. Now we need continuity, to give these guys time to develop and to gel together, and some veteran leadership. Sanders is the senior member of the secondary in terms of his tenure with the Pats, and clearly provided much needed leadership when communication (and tackling) threatened to collapse late in the season. Upgrading Sander's talent might be good in the long term, but it would just ****** the overall development of the secondary, which, like an OL, must function well as a unit.

2. Upgrading talent in the secondary is not a priority compared with other team needs, and would just be a distraction. We need to upgrade SILB, OLB, and 3-4 DE before addressing the secondary, and that's assuming we keep Bodden and Wilfork. We just don't have the resources to spend on upgrading the safety position in 2010, and it would distract from rebuilding in other key areas.

Once again, the enemy of good is better. Re-sign Bodden, keep the secondary intact, and let them grow together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back