PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading #22/#42 to Jacksonville for #10 might make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets assume McClain is gone by #10. (I would grab him if I could and it does make sense with the Jags...but). Would you trade Merriweather and our first 2nd rounder to the Jags for that #10 and their third rounder and take Taylor Mays?

Chung and Mays would be a decent backstop for many years.

Tebow ill still be there at #44 and they get a starting "All Pro" Safety and Florida (Miami) guy.

DW Toys

Dude you send really ignorant when you make statements like that. Taylor Mays is no longer a top 10 guy. He's late 1st round at best. Why would you trade up for him? Besides which, safety is not a need for this team. With Sanders, Chung, Meriweather, and Mcgowan, thats one of the deepest positions the Pats have.

They need a pass rushing OLB or a run stuffing ILB with leadership like Mcclain a lot more. Other higher needs include OG/C, RB, WR, CB (if Bodden leaves).

That's one option, I'd move him to OLB and let McKenzie battle it out inside with Mayo and Guyton. To play along with the fantasy drafting...

If folks plan on taking McClain at #10 or 11, then grab a WR in the mid-second and Eric Norwood in the late second. McClain and Norwood, with TBC and/or Burgess, if re-signed, puts the OLB situation back on track - and create depth inside too. I consider WR the major positional issue for the team and would like to see one of the better multi-purpose kids brought in to push Edelman, Tate, Stanback, and Jenkins.
I like this. How about Decker in the second and Freddie Barnes in the fourth?
DW Toys

Joe Haden...

:agree:
There seems to be a significant drop from Haden to the next level CB. Haden, Butler and (hopefully) Bodden would be sweet.

That would also mean that the Pats wouldn't have to think about Peterson (who is awesome) in 2011 and can instead focus on finding Moss Jr. with the Oakland pick.

You don't need to trade up into the top 10 to get what they need. DE/OLB someone whom can play the weakside end in a 43 and turn into the hybrid OLB of the future. While McClain would be great. He doesn't solve Mayo's troubles inside by moving him to his "proper" position inside. He is covered up by the guard in the 34 and he is struggling with it. He would benefit more playing behind or off of a 3 technique than he would having Ted Johnson next to him. I think it's worth noting how good he looks with only two DT's inside and 2 OLB's on the line in passing situations. I would love to have McClain, but he strikes me as the kind of guy you move around a formation, more so than just pair with somebody.

Would you trade Merriweather and our first 2nd rounder to the Jags for that #10 and their third rounder and take Taylor Mays?

Hell no. That's ridiculous even by your standards, DW.

Mays can't clean Meriweather's jockstrap as a safety. He's a physical Tarzan who is limited playing in space, has stiff hips, and has questionable decision making. He and Chung would be terrible complements to each other.

:agree:
There seems to be a significant drop from Haden to the next level CB. Haden, Butler and (hopefully) Bodden would be sweet.

That would also mean that the Pats wouldn't have to think about Peterson (who is awesome) in 2011 and can instead focus on finding Moss Jr. with the Oakland pick.

If you know what I mean, I'd much rather find Colston Jr. with Philadelphia's 7th. :D

Lets assume McClain is gone by #10. (I would grab him if I could and it does make sense with the Jags...but). Would you trade Merriweather and our first 2nd rounder to the Jags for that #10 and their third rounder and take Taylor Mays?

Tebow ill still be there at #44 and they get a starting "All Pro" Safety and Florida (Miami) guy.

DW Toys

:eek:

Have you actually seen Taylor Mays play?

Really? You'd trade a Pro-Bowl calibre safety, a very good young player, for an absolute Draft bust?

I'm utterly gob-smacked.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic?

How much faith do you have in Merriweather?
DW Toys

A gazillion times more than Horse Collar Williams Jr.

I'm still gob-smacked.

You paid DW Toys for, um, er, whatever! :eek: You and Hugh Grant... :ugh:

whatever is right, as long as we stop talking about drafting a S before the 7th.

DW Toys

You seriously think Mays is going to be better than Meriweather? Meriweather is best at FS, which is where he will end up when Chung is starting at SS. Mays is not a FS. He's not a ballhawk, looks for the big hit rather than the INT, and is a physical specimen. People are talking about him having to move to OLB because he's not capable of playing safety in the NFL. It's absurd to want to get rid of Meriweather for Mays. I'd say the one position we are pretty set at is safety. Meriweather, Chung, McGowan, Sanders is a damn good group if you ask me. For the most part it's pretty young, fast, and very hard hitting.

If you know what I mean, I'd much rather find Colston Jr. with Philadelphia's 7th. :D

You mean Seyi Ajirotutu? He actually reminded me of Colston in the Wisconsin game. Couple of TDs, going up to get catches and holding on after getting hit, getting separation quickly. Not a speedster so may be around in the 7th.

You seriously think Mays is going to be better than Meriweather? Meriweather is best at FS, which is where he will end up when Chung is starting at SS. Mays is not a FS. He's not a ballhawk, looks for the big hit rather than the INT, and is a physical specimen. People are talking about him having to move to OLB because he's not capable of playing safety in the NFL. It's absurd to want to get rid of Meriweather for Mays. I'd say the one position we are pretty set at is safety. Meriweather, Chung, McGowan, Sanders is a damn good group if you ask me. For the most part it's pretty young, fast, and very hard hitting.

All this group needs to do now is learn how to tackle.

i'd consider trading 22 and 42 for spiller, haden, mcclain and maybe bryant or one of the d ends.

I feel confident in saying that Taylor Mays will not play safety very well nor very long in the NFL. He's possibly a decent 4-3 WLB. His ceiling is Carolina's Thomas Davis, but I think there's a miniscule chance he turns out to be that good.

What's Nic Harris doing these days?

Last edited:
I feel confindant in saying that Taylor Mays will not play safety very well nor very long in the NFL. He's possibly a decent 4-3 WLB. His ceiling is Carolina's Thomas Davis, but I think there's a miniscule chance he turns out to be that good.

What's Nic Harris doing these days?

Mays lost himself a ton of money by not coming out last year. With all the hype, no true 1st round S in the 2009 draft, and not being allowed to expose his weaknesses in the Senior Bowl as a junior in 2009, he would have been a probable top 15 pick. Houston might well have taken him over Cushing.

to trade away two picks to take a ILB in a draft thats pretty deep for LB's is not a good move IMO. if it's to get one of the top D line men or O line men. then yes.

but to have two ILB drafted in the top 10 by the pats would be funny when they passed on David Harris in 2007 who went in the 2th round. and James Laurinaitis, to take chung. both of dose LB's are just as good if not better then mayo.

but to have two ILB drafted in the top 10 by the pats would be funny when they passed on David Harris in 2007 who went in the 2th round. and James Laurinaitis, to take chung. both of dose LB's are just as good if not better then mayo.

Not according to BB, who said at the time that Mayo graded out higher than any linebacker (presumably that was on the board when their turn came) in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News