PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade deadline thread

Yes, I turned off the game Sunday, I just can't watch Mac Jones anymore. Pre snap, post snap processing not happening. Footwork, not happening, Zip on the ball, not happening. Timely release, not happening. Pocket presence, not happening.
And yet he’s still the best QB on the roster with the most upside and the most likely to allow the coaches to get a real look at the offense without being handicapped by the QB’s limitations.

If Mac is lousy that doesn’t say a whole lot in favor of the alternatives on the roster…

Last edited:
Apparently teams were calling the Commanders about Brisket. I wonder if we were one of them. I’d like to think we were. Mac needs some competition.

As much as I have soured on BB this season ,I think not giving up a fourth is on the Jags.
They have a chance at #1 seed
They will need rushers for all the good QBs they might face

I didn't expect a move from the Pats - well, maybe Uche if they got enough for him. But consider, if no one would part for even a 4th, he's not commanding much in FA. The Pats might have to choose between him and Jennings - my guess is that Jennings is more to Bill's liking.
If they got no offers for Dugger, I'm shocked. He's a budding star and it's not just system. Since they didn't trade him, please just pay the man, and pay Onwenu like a good RT, which he is.

Didn't expect calls on Mac Jones - teams don't typically trade their starting QB, particularly one on a rookie deal with another couple of years of control. Don't get me wrong, I want a change there at this point, but there's no way the Pats would let him go for what other teams might offer NOW. Off season, maybe, when the draft order is in place. More likely, they see him as a starting QB who will be paid under 3million next year...I cringe, I cringe.

The only possibility I saw for the Pats was making the deal for Jeudy and signing him up long term. It wouldn't be like them, certainly, but it might have been something Kraft demanded - he sees fans changing the channels on his team. Jeudy is likely the most talented WR available to the Pats next year, and god knows they need talent there.

They couldn’t find a compromise? :rolleyes:
It’s a bigger gap than it sounds like. The Jags can’t trade their own 4th since it might go to the Falcons for Ridley, so the Pats had to have been asking for the Saints’ pick, projected 12 spots better. Add in projected comp picks, and that means current standings have the Pats asking for 116 but only being offered 163, which on the classic trade chart is 62 points to 26.2 and on the Rich Hill trade chart is 26 points to 9. The Pats were asking for more than double the value that the Jags were offering.

There's your Team-Builder!
It's a brutal stat, but it's a little misleading, too.

Half of those 18 picks were 3rd-rounders, and low 3rd-rounders at that. Most 3rd-rounders don't last long with the team that picked them and are in the NFL for about 4-5 years, total.

Of the others, one was a backup QB that BB was forced to unload (Jimmy - Brisett, too, as one of the third rounders), Thuney was franchised, but they couldn't keep him...which was terrible. Wynn was given a 5th year option, which was destroyed by Fat Matt. A couple were RBs. And three were injury issues.

But still, yeah, craptastic, particularly with the secondary picks.
They've got FOUR guys up this year who should be offered pretty good second contracts BY THEM: Onwenu, Dugger, Jennings, and Uche.

Apparently teams were calling the Commanders about Brisket. I wonder if we were one of them. I’d like to think we were. Mac needs some competition.
Maybe Grier gives him competition, wouldn't be surprised to see him at some point this year.

There's your Team-Builder!
This was by design. He purposely passes up more talented players because they will have ego's and that's too much for Bill to handle, so he goes after the humble guys who won't make noise. A personality like Gronk was by accident. Damien Woody has said Bill feels his scheme will trump talent.

The numbers don't lie, this is why hardly any of them were worthy of 2nd contracts. Between 2014-2019 only Joe Thuney was worthy of a 2nd contract. The rest were duds.

Confirms my feeling that he was never worth more than a 4th. We have Patriot-colored glasses when looking at his play.
No. It only confirms what ONE team thought he was worth.

My biggest takeaway from today is that maybe Uche’s low playing time isn’t a scheme-dependent thing, but that no team sees him as anything more than a situational rusher. That would significantly increase the odds of him re-signing in March, at a significantly lower price than many expected.

In July, Callahan proposed $12M per year for Uche. I can’t find any other reporters that were brave enough to make a firm guess. I wonder if maybe he’ll end up closer to the $6-8M range.

This was by design. He purposely passes up more talented players because they will have ego's and that's too much for Bill to handle, so he goes after the humble guys who won't make noise. A personality like Gronk was by accident. Damien Woody has said Bill feels his scheme will trump talent.

The numbers don't lie, this is why hardly any of them were worthy of 2nd contracts. Between 2014-2019 only Joe Thuney was worthy of a 2nd contract. The rest were duds.

There were two others who would've been worthy of 2nd contracts, Groppy & Brisket, but they were traded before those rookie contracts expired.

I hope the Pats re-sign Uche

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back