PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Too much scheme...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know....that was my point......the ability to implement brute force is a characteristic the pats need to improve at.

they were running the ball well on 1st down

Y'all are acting as if running on first down would have served as a wonder drug.

First down running yardage, first half
7 (Vereen)

All that "great" running helped them to 13 points.

First down running yardage, second half
8 and FUMBLE
FUMBLE leads to TD, which makes the score 28-13 with 11:13 to go, and limits the ability to continue running the ball due to time issues.

The first second half drive was stopped because of a dropped 3rd down pass at the Ravens 34. The second second half drive was stopped because of a holding penalty against Solder on a 3rd and 2. Lack of running the ball on first down was not the issue in either drive. The third drive was where Ridley fumbled and the running game became much less useful as a weapon.

Neither the two halted drives nor the drive that ended in a fumble were the result of poor schemes.

Simple question: why did the Patriots morph into a Peyton Manning Indy Colts type team when that style of team was DOMINATED by the Pre-Coltlike NE Patriots??

Because pea gravel doesn't appeal to aardvarks.

yes........and with 1st and 10 from the ravens 36 after stopping the ravens on a 3 and out at the start of the 2nd half.....with some solid running on 1st down up to that point, the pats outsmarted themselves by trying a deep ball on 1st down.....the game simply unraveled from there......

from a functional standpoint, the pats had the ravens exactly where they wanted them (having the first opportunity to score in the 2nd half) .... they lacked the patience at that time and chose scheme over burte force.....it gave the ravens all the confidence they needed

Y'all are acting as if running on first down would have served as a wonder drug.

First down running yardage, first half
7 (Vereen)

All that "great" running helped them to 13 points.

First down running yardage, second half
8 and FUMBLE
FUMBLE leads to TD, which makes the score 28-13 with 11:13 to go, and limits the ability to continue running the ball due to time issues.

The first second half drive was stopped because of a dropped 3rd down pass at the Ravens 34. The second second half drive was stopped because of a holding penalty against Solder on a 3rd and 2. Lack of running the ball on first down was not the issue in either drive. The third drive was where Ridley fumbled and the running game became much less useful as a weapon.

Neither the two halted drives nor the drive that ended in a fumble were the result of poor schemes.

Simple question: why did the Patriots morph into a Peyton Manning Indy Colts type team when that style of team was DOMINATED by the Pre-Coltlike NE Patriots??
That really is what this discussion is about.

somewhere around the time the decision was made to change the QB from being part of the scheme to being 'the scheme'

yes........and with 1st and 10 from the ravens 36 after stopping the ravens on a 3 and out at the start of the 2nd half.....with some solid running on 1st down up to that point, the pats outsmarted themselves by trying a deep ball on 1st down.....the game simply unraveled from there......

from a functional standpoint, the pats had the ravens exactly where they wanted them (having the first opportunity to score in the 2nd half) .... they lacked the patience at that time and chose scheme over burte force.....it gave the ravens all the confidence they needed

That's a ridiculous comment, and I can only assume you're trolling at this point.

Some of you guys search to hard to find simple answers, I know its human nature to try and simplify things but the fact that they lost has everything to do with the team not playing to its capabilities, too many blown assignments, out of position, not thinking. The offense could move the ball but made mistakes in the red zone that prevented them from scoring, the D made too many mistakes and gave up some big plays.
This team had the players and coaches to win the Super Bowl this year they just didnt play well. They dont have to dumb down the scheme, get two Megatrons to win (would be nice) they just have to play better and get a little more luck in the injury department come playoff time.

At a point against the Ravens, we needed big yardage catches/deep throws but we just didn't have the players to do it. It's was pretty bad.
We can talk about situational football.
If we are faced with a situation where we have to go deep to win, we are pretty forked. It reached a point last year we had to bring Slater in. There is a reason we brought Stallworth back. Hopefully the FO/BB addresses this issue

And here we were shown big and fast receivers making plays only big and fast receivers could make.

Patriots don't have to play stupid, they just gotta be ready to play when the clever mismatches and quick snaps don't work.

That's a ridiculous comment, and I can only assume you're trolling at this point.

Care to explain with any detail? Otherwise it is you that is trolling with your waste of a post

somewhere around the time the decision was made to change the QB from being part of the scheme to being 'the scheme'

You got it. Sadly it has cost them championships.
The issue going forward is will Brady be allowed to continue running this offense the way HE wants or will Belichick take back the control.
It's no accident they revert back to being the pass happy Colts when they get punched in the mouth and we've seen it with both McDaniels and O'Brien as OC's. Now is it the OC's or is it the QB?? It's the QB and he needs to be reigned in because he can no longer elevate his play in big games against good defenses.
Not interested, don't care in the least about Brady's bedazzling regular season stats. They're quite irrelevant. Patriots need to change their mindset particularly on offense and they need to start from day 1 of the season.
To steal a line from the C's Kevin Garnett, "its grit and balls, man, grit and balls". Time for the HC to take back control.

You got it. Sadly it has cost them championships.
The issue going forward is will Brady be allowed to continue running this offense the way HE wants or will Belichick take back the control.
It's no accident they revert back to being the pass happy Colts when they get punched in the mouth and we've seen it with both McDaniels and O'Brien as OC's. Now is it the OC's or is it the QB?? It's the QB and he needs to be reigned in because he can no longer elevate his play in big games against good defenses.
Not interested, don't care in the least about Brady's bedazzling regular season stats. They're quite irrelevant. Patriots need to change their mindset particularly on offense and they need to start from day 1 of the season.
To steal a line from the C's Kevin Garnett, "its grit and balls, man, grit and balls". Time for the HC to take back control.

speaking of mcdaniels, I think he is here more to develop mallett than to work with brady......I don't see that much change between now and most of last year before mcdaniels showed up, and I don't think brady needed him back.

speaking of mcdaniels, I think he is here more to develop mallett than to work with brady......I don't see that much change between now and most of last year before mcdaniels showed up, and I don't think brady needed him back.

Mallett is good as gone, especially if it will net the pats a 2nd rounder.

Teams dont fear our deep ball because Brady has lost a little bit of accuracy with throwing the deep ball. He always overthrows them by 5 yards it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye