PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Too in love with the shotgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we stop using the shotgun all the time?

We use the same formation at least half the time on offense: 3 receivers wide left, 1 receiver wide right, Faulk back to block. There are only so many variants of plays you can run from the exact same formation used, over and over.

Why telegraph to the defense you are passing, allowing your DE's to tee off on our slow tackles? Cassel is getting absolutely killed in the 3rd quarter, he's been taking some vicious hits off of this shotgun formation.

Sure Faulk is getting good yards per carry from this formation, but you cannot mount successful drives when you keep telling the defense what you are going to do and try to just out-execute every time against an adapting defense.

Re: Can we stop using the shotgun all the time?

We use the same formation at least half the time on offense: 3 receivers wide left, 1 receiver wide right, Faulk back to block. There are only so many variants of plays you can run from the exact same formation used, over and over.

Why telegraph to the defense you are passing, allowing your DE's to tee off on our slow tackles? Cassel is getting absolutely killed in the 3rd quarter, he's been taking some vicious hits off of this shotgun formation.

Sure Faulk is getting good yards per carry from this formation, but you cannot mount successful drives when you keep telling the defense what you are going to do and try to just out-execute every time against an adapting defense.

I agree. If you watched the Eagles and Giants today, the Eagles stayed under center most of the game and controlled the Giants pass rush. Pass rushers lick their chops when they see a shotgun because they know exactly what's coming. This isn't the Big 12; these defenses can play.

Last edited:

Since making this thread, the next 2 offensive drives the Pats went 75% of snaps in this formation. Absolutely pathetic. The only change they do is switch the 3 receivers on the right and 1 receiver on the left. Whoop-dee-doo, it is still predictable and Cassel keeps getting rocked with big hits. It is eerily similar to last year's final game.

Mcdouche is in love with draw plays. They need to do some serious housecleaning with the coaching staff.

Mcdouche is in love with draw plays. They need to do some serious housecleaning with the coaching staff.

In general, I think he's been excellent this year. However, I Just fundamentally disagree with his overall philosophy on offense, so no matter how good the team does under McDaniels, I still hate it.

His offense creates good looking stats, because he uses shotgun so much and it gets lots of yardage, 3rd downs, etc. He sucks in the red zone this year because he relies on talent and execution rather than on scheme, and it shows in the red zone and in big games. We get stopped in red zone and big moments because we run the same plays over and over. In big games the other teams scout us and figure out we use the same shotgun formation (3 wide left, 1 wide right) over and over and over. Our QB gets killed because DE's basically sprint up the field against our slow offensive tackles. The occasional draw we run doesn't make up for the fact that our QB gets killed or sacked, and our receivers run predictable routes over and over.

Our offensive playbook is the Marino or Peyton of playbooks: sexy stats but sucks it up against defenses that scout us.

Last edited:

Agreed. McDaniels is all flash, no substance.

What a surprise, we continue to use this same sh*tty shotgun formation, Cassel keeps getting killed or sacked in the pocket, and we continue to use it and after the game we'll blame it all on "execution". Same old story, just a different week, a different year.

some people will call you silly

do we really want cassel throwing 44 times?

GREAT exciting game.

I'm glad we pulled it out, but this was on the players and execution, NOT a win because of scheme. The reason nobody felt comfortable was our D was making Seneca Wallace look like Johnny Unitas and our offense was barely getting first downs using the same predictable formation over and over. I don't know how you can say McDouche and Pees won this game, we won in spite of them.
Edit/Delete Message

I really don't see much difference between this year and last year. The spread formation is a shotgun formation. You have a good corps of receivers, that's why you use the spread.

Yet another big win using a lot of shotgun formation. 8-5 despite all the injuries. These coordinators are doing a brilliant job.

I really don't see much difference between this year and last year. The spread formation is a shotgun formation. You have a good corps of receivers, that's why you use the spread.

I agree. It isn't like the shotgun isn't working. It isn't like teams aren't getting faked out by the draw out of the shotgun virtually every time they are running it. The Pats have had trouble finishing drives at points in the season, but part of that falls on the players.

People seem to want to blame the playcalling when the drives fail and give it no credit when it is successful. It is getting tiring.

I like the shotgun especially with the inconsistent lineplay. However, it is a dead giveaway to our opponents.

let's just have cassel pass 50 times.

and let's put matt light out on an island with a speed rusher.

I like the shotgun especially with the inconsistent lineplay. However, it is a dead giveaway to our opponents.

Only when Cassel is alone in the backfield which only probably about a third of the time. That is why a draw play out of the shotgun is almost a guaranteed 7 yard play and Faulk has the most YPC of his career. Even when Cassel is alone in the backfield, the Pats have run, reverses, double reverses, and fake reverses with Cassel alone in the backfield.

Only when Cassel is alone in the backfield which only probably about a third of the time. That is why a draw play out of the shotgun is almost a guaranteed 7 yard play and Faulk has the most YPC of his career. Even when Cassel is alone in the backfield, the Pats have run, reverses, double reverses, and fake reverses with Cassel alone in the backfield.

Rob, re-read this thread. You'll find that the complainers have a difficult time grasping the difference between shotgun formation and empty backfield which, as you know, are not the same. They also tend to ignore such possibilities as placing tight ends at the end of the offensive line.

Last edited:
Cassel gets hit the most often and hardest when we use the shotgun. He doesn't nearly get nailed as much or at the same ratio when under center.

You see defensive ends SPRINTING up field, and the middle of the pocket also breaks up pretty often. The protection deteriorates the more often we use the same shot-gun formation, over and over and over.

i do think we should get back to running a little more. We didn't have much of a chance to do it today because we were behind. We didn't go to it while we were driving though, but they scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft