Tom Curran on Adam V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
interesting piece
http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/273637/detail.html

When asked the reception he expected, Vinatieri told the gathered crowd, "Probably (some boos and some cheers)."

Does he want to find out?

"I guess I'm a little bit curious," he allowed.

Vinatieri clinched the first two Super Bowls wins for New England with last second kicks. The margin of victory in the third Super Bowl win was three points (24-21 over Philadelphia after the 2004 Super Bowl). He also made the greatest kick in NFL history in the final game at Foxboro Stadium, a 45-yarder through a haze of snowflakes to tie the Raiders in the 2001 AFC Divisional Playoffs.

There is every reason to cheer Vinatieri for all he did. But it can be argued that the reaction Sunday night will be not a referendum on his career in New England, but an indication of how Patriots fans feel about his decision.

"The fans there are very, very intense," he said. "They love their sports, the Bruins Celtics, Red Sox and Patriots and they put their heart into the teams out there. For them to give me love when I left it was a great feeling. I really feel like, in the 10 years I was there, they were with us every step of the way. It wasn't just the 50 guys on the field, it was the 70,000 in the crowd and everywhere else."

The crowd eventually dispersed and Vinatieri and I walked out, catching up briefly.

"They're going to boo you," I predicted.

"Oh, man are they going to boo my ass," he smiled knowingly.

He got his cheers and accolades when he was a Patriot. F**k him he's Colt now. Boo his a** !

NEM said:
He will get some boos, but overall, I think the cheers and accolades for what he did, as a Patriot, will overcome the boos, and by rights, they should.
i guess you are right but i think he is going to get booed badly...

Hoodie said:
He got his cheers and accolades when he was a Patriot. F**k him he's Colt now. Boo his a** !

I feel the same. I love him for what he did as a Pat but he is the enemy now...a Colt.

NEM said:
He will get some boos, but overall, I think the cheers and accolades for what he did, as a Patriot, will overcome the boos, and by rights, they should.

Agreed. Adam will be booed same as any other opposing kicker. Any thing more would be to forget the heroics he performed for us.

Having said that, I can't help but think the right thing for him to do would have been to take the Pats offer.

I dont think Adam really understands what he threw away when he left New England. He could have been up there with the all time greats of Boston sporting history, but he showed his true colors when he defected to our biggest rival. Had he stayed with the Pats or even gone to someone like Dallas or Green Bay he could have made ten times the money he made during his career from endorsements in New England after he retired, but do you think anyones going to want him now?

The fact that he doesnt realize that he will be booed every time he comes out to kick is a little sad. Its like the Johnny Damon situation, as fans we may be disapointed when a player leaves to another team, but if they go to our biggest rival that cannot be forgiven. To me and most people Ive talked to we love the Adam Vinatieri that played for the Pats, but once he gave all Pats fans the finger for a slightly larger amount of money we wish him nothing but missed kicks and bad luck.

I was miffed when V signed with the Colts, but I still agreed that he should be remembered for what he did for the Pats when he was here and still would have cheered for him. That changed, however, when he expressed his true feelings before the season and started pissing and moaning about being franchised. His own admission about not even giving the Pats a chance to match any offer to "show them" for franchising has made me dislike him. I don't know if I would boo or just be silent were I at the stadium, but I certainly wouldn't be cheering.

Hoodie said:
Marry me.

Shoot, nevermind. Already married.

This "dead to me" person expects to be booed, does he?

Well, everyone should just turn their backs to him in dead silence. That would be much more effective.

Why would they want to boo someone who passed away last March?

I'll bet he'll get cheered if he misses a FG!

NEM said:

The cheers will come when he retires and visits.

But he is a Colt now.

But he knowingly slapped the fans in the face with his decision.

I know he had every right to make that decision.

And the fans have every right to boo him!

We will cheer when the Vinitraitor misses a clutch FG attempt in the upcoming Colts debacle at Gillette.

363839 said:
Agreed. Adam will be booed same as any other opposing kicker. Any thing more would be to forget the heroics he performed for us.

Having said that, I can't help but think the right thing for him to do would have been to take the Pats offer.

This is my feeling on the situation......The Pats offer was not that far off.......and ....most importantly....how much money is ENOUGH....for these guys??????......Vinny would have continued to make a TON of cash in endorsements............would have always been regarded as a NE icon.....and now....he is making a little bit more money......and is HATED by Pats fans......I WILL always remember him for what he did to help the Pats win 3 SB's....I WILL also strongly dislike the guy's character for his decision to leave his legacy......for more money......really disappointed me (and my kids) as a fan........

I'm already nervous about seeing him in person- wondering how I'll react, etc. Like knowing you're going to see an ex-spouse at an upcoming wedding.

I wish I was kidding.

I wish I could be there to boo his dead to me self.
he will get boos... maybe a few cheers, but comparing it to the damon and pedro situation.
damon went to the enemy was largely booed
pedro went to someone else and was cheered loudly for what he had done for the sox.

I am hoping more than anything else in the game that maroney breaks a kickoff and gives him a signature stiff arm to the colt emblem

g-fresh said:
I Had he stayed with the Pats or even gone to someone like Dallas or Green Bay he could have made ten times the money he made during his career from endorsements in New England after he retired, but do you think anyones going to want him now?
Most estimates of endorsement money like this one are greatly exaggerated... he'd have to make well over $100M in the next 30 years for this to be true, and if the king of endorsements Manning is making 10M per year that's not real likely. And Manning does mostly national endorsements, local/regional endorsements pay less. He certainly will lose some money in future New England endorsements but perhaps not enough to make teh New England offer more lucrative, plus he probably preferred the bird in hand (more money right now from Indy).

As was mentioned if He was neither cheered nor booed, the silence would
be deafening.

Might even rattle Him a little. You know "The Sounds of Silence" !! :D

Picture it, the entire stadium standing and turning thier backs to the field

when He trots on to attempt a FG.

Just daydreaming, .............carry on...................pfft !

I vote for the complete silence, these guys get booed everytime they go to an opposing stadium, they are used to it. dead silence might play a serious head game though :) :p

That Hoodie is one lucky lady! :rocker:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Marry me.

Shoot, nevermind. Already married.

patsacolachick said:
I vote for the complete silence, these guys get booed everytime they go to an opposing stadium, they are used to it. dead silence might play a serious head game though :) :p
Much too intelligent a response. Have you applied for a quality control position with the Pats? There's definite potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes