PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady: To Pre, or Not To Pre

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll tell you what, he better be playing in all 4 games and i expect him to play at least 2 quarters in all of em. If not, then i dont see how we can start him.

So if he didn't play, and didn't start... what is your option then?? KOC? Not yet.

NOOOOO...I wouldnt be upset seeing him in on the opening drive but that is about it. Why risk it? Preseason games are glorified practices. They are their to make money, tease the fans, and let coaches see some bubble players in action against other teams. Brady getting some snaps in the preseason is pretty useless. I hope he has a year like Peyton did last year when he came back from his Knee surgery. Granted this is a totally diffrent ball game in that Brady had a more serious surgery and he hasnt played in about a year. On the other hand I dont think Peyton got any snaps in the preseason and he did just fine.

If the knee is ready I think he'll want too. Anyone who's been injured and played sports at any decent level knows you need to play to get going again, thats what pre season is for....

Imo I don't think Brady will want to lay everything on the first weeks of the regular season, both testing the knee too see how comfortable he is in a game enviroment and getting accustomed to playing again. If he can I think he'll take snaps at some point in pre season.

I expect to see Brady playing.......... He's gotta be rusty. Play, throw, take some hits..... It'll make a man outta him! Do not be a girly man Tom, we'll have Sea Bass at tackle protecting you......

Last edited:
To me, it's simple. Belichick will have Brady play in the preseason if he thinks Tommy needs to play in the preseason. Period. The rest is pure speculation because, if TB doesn't play in the preseason, we'll never know whether it's because BB thinks he's "good to go" or because there are still concerns about his knee. Yep, I can sure see the Presser where Coach tells the world he's keeping Brady out because his knee isn't ready yet. Yep. Sure thing there. :pigsfly:

The bottom line is that we'll only know if the "Old Tom Brady" is back when we see the "Old Tom Brady" playing on the field.

And, BTW, what's with all the "Tom effing Brady" stuff? I mean, once or twice is clever, but it got old fast.

I think he held him out initially last season because of the overall fatigue factor, and then kept him out because of the OL factor.

If Neal is playing and the OL is performing Brady should be back on track for the usual starters routine of 1 series, one half, into the third quarter and a brief cameo pre season routine. He needs some snaps to get his timing back and establish some rapore with Galloway and Lewis and his new TE.

You didn't read the article did you?

Thanks for your thoughts though. Thats reasonable.

I read the article and it doesn't offer anything but a fan's point or view. I don't need that, I need precedent for BB playing him after coming off an injury and last year was the precedent.

They didn't play him a down last preseason, I highly doubt they play him a down this preseason.

Brady hasnt played any competitive ball in a year. He's gonna want to be on that field when PS starts for his normal # of reps, no more no less. Its all about game speed. Real game speed cant be duplicated. He had none entering game 1 last year.

Brady hasnt played any competitive ball in a year. He's gonna want to be on that field when PS starts for his normal # of reps, no more no less. Its all about game speed. Real game speed cant be duplicated. He had none entering game 1 last year.

And was 7 for 11 with 76 yards before he was injured...while in there he hardly seemed rusty nor out of step.

To me, it's simple. Belichick will have Brady play in the preseason if he thinks Tommy needs to play in the preseason. Period. The rest is pure speculation because, if TB doesn't play in the preseason, we'll never know whether it's because BB thinks he's "good to go" or because there are still concerns about his knee. Yep, I can sure see the Presser where Coach tells the world he's keeping Brady out because his knee isn't ready yet. Yep. Sure thing there. :pigsfly:

The bottom line is that we'll only know if the "Old Tom Brady" is back when we see the "Old Tom Brady" playing on the field.

And, BTW, what's with all the "Tom effing Brady" stuff? I mean, once or twice is clever, but it got old fast.

Cool. That was an inside jab at some other fracking yahoo....

From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, TBrades is practicing without complications right now, or he was back in April. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't play in the Preseason, if nothing else, to work off the rust. You all saw how Peyton Manning faired last season after not playing in the Preseason. Although TBrades' situation is different, I think if he could play 1 series the fist game, 2 the second game and the entire first half in the 3rd game, that would be plenty to knock the rust off. Especially if he can take a hit or two.

I read the article and it doesn't offer anything but a fan's point or view. I don't need that, I need precedent for BB playing him after coming off an injury and last year was the precedent.

They didn't play him a down last preseason, I highly doubt they play him a down this preseason.

Of course it's just a fans point of view... The point was to open up discussion on the subject. YOU pointed out he didn't play at all last year in the preseason and that was the first line in the article I wrote, so it was easy for me to think you didn't even read it... whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it's just a fans point of view... The point was to open up discussion on the subject. YOU pointed out he didn't play at all last year in the preseason and that was the first line in the article I wrote, so it was easy for me to think you didn't even read it... whatever.

And I also said "I don't see him playing this preseason unless they feel it's best...at most one game and even then maybe a half."

I don't see him playing a down at all this preseason.

Last edited:
And I also said "I don't see him playing this preseason unless they feel it's best...at most one game and even then maybe a half."

I don't see him playing a down at all this preseason.

The "precedent" you set is irrelevant because you can not compare his ankle with his torn MCL and ACL... It's like comparing apples and oranges...

It really doesn't matter. BB is never going to give us any insight on to why, or why not, he does or doesn't play him.

The "precedent" you set is irrelevant because you can not compare his ankle with his torn MCL and ACL... It's like comparing apples and oranges...

Really? Apples and Oranges? Two major mobility impairments on his legs aren't comparable?

Really? Apples and Oranges? Two major mobility impairments on his legs aren't comparable?

NO THEY ARE NOT.... ONE kept him out for an entire season, and HE COULD NOT WALK ON IT! Not to mention, for the rest of his life, he will be susceptible to injuring it again...

The other one he could FRACKING PLAY ON!

NO THEY ARE NOT.... ONE kept him out for an entire season, and HE COULD NOT WALK ON IT! Not to mention, for the rest of his life, he will be susceptible to injuring it again...

The other one he could FRACKING PLAY ON!

And the reactions to how they played him after recovering from that lesser injury isn't comparable to the reaction to how they play him after recovering from the more major injury?

And was 7 for 11 with 76 yards before he was injured...while in there he hardly seemed rusty nor out of step.

But his WR were uncharacteristically out of psynch with him. And this season unlike last he has new weapons to break in.

As for precedent, Brady has been injured at the end of almost every season he's played (shoulder, ankle, elbow, sports hernia) and undergone a couple of actual off season surgeries prior to this in season one, and 2008 was the first time Belichick held him out and it didn't seem to have the desired effect...

Manning was positively ragged at the start of his 2008 season, and he was only held out of the Colts pre season because he continued to have swelling in his surgically repaired knee. If Brady isn't experiencing any setbacks in training camp, I fully expect to see him play in pre season unless injuries at other positions make that a risk not worth taking...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore