PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady and the 4 Year Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady playing somewhere else doesn't have to be ugly, if Brady, Belichick and we the fans are all mature about it.

Guess whose maturity factor I trust the least.

The speed of his game or the speed of the NFL game? This post is a little confusing to me. What skill do you feel like Brady is losing in his older years?

Speed of his game. It shows up off course in the short passing game. Hey I got an idea, instead of acting like a little butthurt turd burglar check to see if there are any stats to back that up.

Don't ignore him. He is an ass.

I think you need to take your meds buddy. Go pop another pill

Brady playing somewhere else doesn't have to be ugly, if Brady, Belichick and we the fans are all mature about it.

Guess whose maturity factor I trust the least.
Jimmy G playing somewhere else doesn't have to be ugly either. In fact, a trade of Jimmy could be BB's Herschel Walker trade that sets up the next Pats' dynasty.

It could be. It's a big risk though, if we're kidding ourselves about Brady immortality. A trade of Garoppolo is basically a gamble that Brady holds on for at least 2 more years, because it's going to take that long to be sure of anyone we could use to replace him. We can gamble on Garoppolo this year if we had to, with a sense that even if it doesn't work, it was at least worth trying. it will take time to prove Brissett or any other potential replacement to the same level Garoppolo is at now, and that's assuming the players themselves are good enough.

You guys act like trading Jimmy G means the end of ever getting another QB. It doesn't. It shouldn't. Heck, in fact, with pick #12 you could select someone like Mitch Trubisky and then with the 3 second round picks load up on defense, maybe get a replacement for Butler at CB. And if you want to wait on selecting a QB in this draft, you can get a competent vet QB like Fitzpatrick (you could win a lot of games with this guy if Brady got hurt). Besides, there are a couple of other problems here. JG has been a backup for a long time. He's ready to go and play and unquestionably wants to play NOW. And he deserves that chance. Brady is a shoe in to play at least two more seasons for NE. Assuming JG stays, he's 3 years out from playing. That's just not going to work. Not from a money standpoint, not from a practical standpoint.

Again, what do you play for? To win Super Bowls. The very best chance to do that for the next 3 or 4 years is to trade JG and get more talent around Brady.

Last edited:
Speed of his game. It shows up off course in the short passing game. Hey I got an idea, instead of acting like a little butthurt turd burglar check to see if there are any stats to back that up.

You're a loser

If Jimmy is just above average we ought to be a leader to put enough talent around him to give him a shot, I'd say, not to compare skillets but simply talent level, while he is no Brady, Garoppolo is probably capable of developing to match a quarterback like Roethlisberger or Ryan, and Roethlisberger has a ring and Ryan has the talent to win one

JG is much more likely to be a system QB than develop into anything resembling those two guys.

Father Time? Never heard of her.

Attachments

• IMG_2240.JPG
    IMG_2240.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 1

Brady is the best short passer in the league so this comment is baffling. Are you implying that he is slow going through his progression?

Brady is the best short passer in the league so this comment is baffling. Are you implying that he is slow going through his progression?
Don't even answer this guy, he is crazy and clearly trolling everyone here.

Honest question about Jimmy's value. I am not trying to start anything as I really don't know the answer.
What are the odds that Jimmy G ever wins a SB as the starting QB of the Pats?
I am not sure the answer, but I would put them low enough that Jimmy would definitely have a price. His price would definitely be at least one first rounder and hopefully picks over multiple years.
I guess I just don't see Jimmy's future being anything other than solid starting QB.
I wish I had the same confidence of some other fans on this board that truly see Jimmy as Steve Young/Aaron Rodgers and winning multiple SBs with the Pats (as a starter).

Well its not really fair because JG won't have BB as his coach for long. Most likely Brady will leave in 2019'ish and then Bill will leave a couple seasons after that. By 2021 most likely the Pats will be without both Bill and Tom.

I'm anxiously awaiting the discussion in 4 years as to whether or not Brady will last another 3 years as a top-level NFL QB and whether BB will retire before TB.

I'm anxiously awaiting the discussion in 4 years as to whether or not Brady will last another 3 years as a top-level NFL QB and whether BB will retire before TB.

I just take it as a good omen. The last time these asshats wanted to get rid of Brady he went on to win them two more Lombardi's. Now they are running their ignorant pieholes again so Brady will go get the Patriots a couple more Lombardi's. Not that it will shut them up but it will at least give us something to throw in their faces when they start talking sh.t again.

Can I count myself as one of the people who isn't particularly interested in playing chicken with Father Time? We've had a good run with Brady, he's already exceeded every expectation we could have made of him, and the fun and games have to end sometime. I'd rather they ended a little too early rather than a little too late.

I'm not calling to replace Brady immediately -- just to show that they have a plan for how they intend to do so tomorrow if they need to. That being said I don't think we trade Garoppolo until and unless the team is convinced that Brisset or another backup quarterback can START for the Patriots TODAY. That's clearly not the case (or at best, not clearly the case) right now so I don't see Garoppolo being moved at the moment. He's too tough to replace himself right now, and we may wind up desperately needing him.
I have it on good authority that Father Time and Mother Nature are going through a rough patch. Could be distracting enough that we can sneak another seven seasons or so out of Tom. Yes, of course he must adjust to the effects of age, but he's well prepared to do so.

Trade JG if you can for a good price. In the meantime I'm looking forward to seeing who Brady's heir is when the back to back champs make their QB selection in next year's draft. :)

I wonder about that. Quite frankly I think he's a bit further down the "using skill, intelligence and sheer hard work to cover for his age" trail than some of the rest of you seem to believe. I think it's clear that he's already using the reserves of youthful energy that you guys seem to think he has saved back. I think he's having to burn the candle at both ends to maintain his current level of play, and that's only going to get harder for him as the years push by.

I wouldn't be surprised if it all started catching up to him as early as this year. Heck there's an argument to be made that he barely escaped the cliff in the Superbowl itself but found a way to bounce back at the last possible moment.

BTW I've mentioned this before but -- decline doesn't tend to be a uniform thing, you used to be able to do X now you can do X-1. Those of us who watch baseball remember Curt Schilling and the way it ended for him, yes the final blow came because of injury as his shoulder just gave out on him but for years before that he had games where he was vintage Schilling, with overpowering stuff and superb command, and more and more days where it was just the command, until the 2007 World Serie he was winning a World Series game on nothing but guts, Cortisone, and memories of the pitcher he used to be.

Schilling's strange personality and off-putting politics aside, I think there's a good analogy here. He held his own very well in his own battle with Father Time. Schill worked his butt off trying to make the most of the talent he had left, just like we expected Brady to, and he succeeded, Schilling was a playoff monster right to the end, but it led to more and more inconsistency in his play as he went along, days he could pump it in at 94, days when the clock topped at 91 and he had to live on the split, until finally he was getting by on an 89mph fastball and pure courage.

As Brady declines I don't expect there to just simply be things he can't do. I expect there to be days of vintage Brady and days where he has to get by on pure guile and intelligence because that's all he'll have going for him. At first he'll be able to push back, mask his decline to a certain extent, and have more good days simply by working out harder, making good lifestyle decisions, and he'll be able to have moments of vintage form and be able to turn on the jets in clutch moments, quite frankly I think that's the Tom Brady we've seen over the last 3 years. I think he's already doing that stuff to hide his physical decline. That's what I mean when I say I think he's already burnt through the reserves of energy you guys seem to think he still has open to him.

There is going to come a point where the hard work can't mask the growing inconsistency, and games are going to start getting away from Brady. Not all of them, but more and more of them. Eventually those are going to be playoff games as the ability to take it to that top gear of his gets harder and harder for him to find. I'm personally afraid we're probably further down that road than some folks want to admit. This Superbowl almost got away from him before he was able to find his A game. How much longer until the A game just can't be found?

I just take it as a good omen. The last time these asshats wanted to get rid of Brady he went on to win them two more Lombardi's. Now they are running their ignorant pieholes again so Brady will go get the Patriots a couple more Lombardi's. Not that it will shut them up but it will at least give us something to throw in their faces when they start talking sh.t again.
We'll be sure to let Brady know about your white knighting crusade. Maybe he'll give you a pat on the head and a kiddie cone of avocado ice cream.

This Superbowl almost got away from him before he was able to find his A game. How much longer until the A game just can't be found?
I disagree with that characterization. Blount doesn't fumble that ball and whoever it was doesn't commit the hold on the drive right before halftime and even with the pick-six (that one was all on Brady) the game is far more reasonable at halftime (21-14) and no one is talking about it "getting away from" Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST