PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tim Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me rephrase that:

Be tends to prefer more experienced players In the playoffs and Hooman beats Wright on that count.

Wright had a full season to acclimate, so I don't buy that argument. The argument about matchups (Need stronger blocking for Baltimore, want to pummel Indy, wanted strong blocking on the line for Seattle) is much more persuasive, even if that one still leads to questioning why the drop was so precipitous that he only had 5% of the snaps.

2 of 74 snaps in the Super Bowl
5 of 78 snaps in the AFCCG
3 of 65 snaps in the Divisional round

Total: 10 of 217 snaps in the playoffs

When the season was on the line, and after he'd had all year to find a role, Wright was on the bench. He also had a grand total of 3 receptions after week 12. Does that guarantee he's gone? No. Is it a good sign for him moving forward? I wouldn't think so.
Didn't he start playing some special teams late? I swear I remember being impressed on some punt coverages. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was Tyms, which I would like to see improvement from as well as wright. If these guys have half a brain they set up tents in brady's back yard this spring...

Wait.... Come on, now.

He played 30% of the snaps in the regular season, which is something you were pimping as evidentiary. Then, when he plays in less than 5% of the snaps in the postseason, you slough off that point with that opening sentence, and talk about a 1 TE offense. Meanwhile, OhOh played 62 snaps, or about 28%, in the playoffs.
Also a large reduction.

What's the game by game breakdown. I remember turning to my father and being unhappy seeing hooman in the huddle against the Colts. Develin is twice the blocker and pretty damn effective in short yardage, with or without the ball.

Also a large reduction.

What's the game by game breakdown. I remember turning to my father and being unhappy seeing hooman in the huddle against the Colts. Develin is twice the blocker and pretty damn effective in short yardage, with or without the ball.

Let me put the link to Reiss' blog post search results here, so you can pick out individual games:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/search?query=offensive snaps&x=39&y=10

OhOh went

10 of 74 (SB)
28 of 78 (AFCCG)
24 of 65 (Div)

Of additional note, IMO, is Fleming getting 28 snaps in the AFCCG and 8 snaps in the SB.

Personally I think Wright's playing time reduction was just as much about Amendola as it was about Uh-oh's blocking.

Uh-oh's run blocking was part of the game plan for the Colts.
Amendola stressing the short zones with Edelman was the game plan for the Ravens and (especially) the Seahawks.

When Amendola's on the field alot in 3WR packages obviously there's not much call for a receiving TE. (Wright)

Wright had a full season to acclimate, so I don't buy that argument. The argument about matchups (Need stronger blocking for Baltimore, want to pummel Indy, wanted strong blocking on the line for Seattle) is much more persuasive, even if that one still leads to questioning why the drop was so precipitous that he only had 5% of the snaps.
Because you are going best against best, 100% of the time. No limited snap counts for gronk, no plays off cause your winded our got a dead leg. The best stay on that field unless dragged off. Jonas? He was the leading rusher for the team going into the post season (granted, on a freak performance, but while we are all making straw men), and how many carries did he see? How many did ayers see compared to the regular season? Arrington and Ryan got benched for playing like crap. As had been mentioned, no Ebner sightings in the secondary in the second/third quarter, which we saw occasionally in the regular season.

Personally I think Wright's playing time reduction was just as much about Amendola as it was about Uh-oh's blocking.

Uh-oh's run blocking was part of the game plan for the Colts.
Amendola stressing the short zones with Edelman was the game plan for the Ravens and (especially) the Seahawks.

When Amendola's on the field alot in 3WR packages obviously there's not much call for a receiving TE. (Wright)

I'm with you on this, at least for the most part.

I think the SB numbers were all about quicks.
I think the AFCCG numbers were all about run blocking.

I think the playoffs, in general, showed how limited a player Wright is, in the minds of the Patriots staff. I don't know if you would take it that far, thus the "for the most part".

Let me put the link to Reiss' blog post search results here, so you can pick out individual games:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/search?query=offensive snaps&x=39&y=10

OhOh went

10 of 74 (SB)
28 of 78 (AFCCG)
24 of 65 (Div)

Of additional note, IMO, is Fleming getting 28 snaps in the AFCCG and 8 snaps in the SB.
I just want hooman upgraded through the draft. I don't see what he offers over develin (who had a couple big receptions this year, maybe pan hands in practice?), who in my mind is the plus run blocker. Wright and hooman play two vastly different te roles. Comparing snaps in the play offs (one with yearS under McDaniels, the other with strictly a regular season) of the two is a petty waste of time.

That said, with the smurf wr Corp necessitated by Seattle, who is getting the snaps at the one te spot? Gronk every time. He can line up anywhere in any role. Hooman isn't the shifty type, neither is wright. Note hoomans snaps plummeted in the big game as well. 10/78 is roughly 13%, down from 42 I believe someone quoted from the regular season?

I think either COULD be gone next year. I don't think playoff snaps hold much weight at all. I think hooman is more easily upgraded, better yet, easily replaced through a current roster spot in develin.

I'm with you on this, at least for the most part.

I think the SB numbers were all about quicks.
I think the AFCCG numbers were all about run blocking.

I think the playoffs, in general, showed how limited a player Wright is, in the minds of the Patriots staff. I don't know if you would take it that far, thus the "for the most part".
I think much of this limitation is missing time picking up the play book (I believe vereen said it took a couple months on the play book, a full season on truly picking up the offense in Ian's twitter exchange) and building rapport with brady, who is assume was now intent getting on the same page as lafell, building rapport with a healing gronk, and building up edelman. Whoops, forgot vereen too. Who do you think the bottom guy on the totem poll was?

I'd guess (hope) if one of wright or hooman comes back, it is wright. A relatively marginal receiving te with mediocre blocking ability is not hard to improve upon. Hell, a stone hands beast of a run blocker would arguably be an improvement over hooman for the few extra drops over a season. It's getting late and the name us escaping, the true plus blocking te before Watson cane along, bad hands...that would be a 100% upgrade over hooman.

Why would you get rid of a guy on a rookie contract making $585k next season and is a RFA after next season that was #3 on the team in receiving TDs and had a 78% catch rate?

I'm all for dumping Hoomanowaui and bringing in Lance Kendricks. According to the STL Dispatch McDaniels "pounded the table" to draft Kendricks in 2011.

Last edited:
I just want hooman upgraded through the draft. I don't see what he offers over develin (who had a couple big receptions this year, maybe pan hands in practice?), who in my mind is the plus run blocker. Wright and hooman play two vastly different te roles. Comparing snaps in the play offs (one with yearS under McDaniels, the other with strictly a regular season) of the two is a petty waste of time.

That said, with the smurf wr Corp necessitated by Seattle, who is getting the snaps at the one te spot? Gronk every time. He can line up anywhere in any role. Hooman isn't the shifty type, neither is wright. Note hoomans snaps plummeted in the big game as well. 10/78 is roughly 13%, down from 42 I believe someone quoted from the regular season?

I think either COULD be gone next year. I don't think playoff snaps hold much weight at all. I think hooman is more easily upgraded, better yet, easily replaced through a current roster spot in develin.

Almost everyone here seems to think that Hooman is all but useless; well, everyone but Belichick and Josh. Hooman was the backup and #2 TE in both 2013 and 2014. Posters were sure that Hooman wouldn't be tendered and then wouldn't make the team in 2014.

I agree that an upgrade to Hooman might be brought in. An upgrade to Wright might be brought in. Competition to both will likely be brought in. But the fact remains that Belichick apparently values Hooman much more than posters here.

Almost everyone here seems to think that Hooman is all but useless; well, everyone but Belichick and Josh. Hooman was the backup and #2 TE in both 2013 and 2014. Posters were sure that Hooman wouldn't be tendered and then wouldn't make the team in 2014.

I agree that an upgrade to Hooman might be brought in. An upgrade to Wright might be brought in. Competition to both will likely be brought in. But the fact remains that Belichick apparently values Hooman much more than posters here.
I understand that, I just don't see it. Is it the adjustments when starting in pass pro? Maybe reads dictating staying in vs chip and go? It is maddening watching them stand pat while bringing in tepid bodies during camp as "competition."

Don't even get me going about him on the field to run block versus develin. I just walk to the fridge, grab a beer and slam my **** in the door rather than watching the fifty fifty proposition about to unfold.

Anyone thinks that Tim Wright should be converted back into an WR?

Why would you get rid of a guy on a rookie contract making $585k next season and is a RFA after next season that was #3 on the team in receiving TDs and had a 78% catch rate?

I'm all for dumping Hoomanowaui and bringing in Lance Kendricks. According to the STL Dispatch McDaniels "pounded the table" to draft Kendricks in 2011.

You wouldn't. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft