PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tim Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've been impressed with the guy early in the season, he somewhat disappeared in the playoffs but that's most likely the amount of time he had to work with the team this season, do you guys think he will be better next year and not fade away from the lineup towards the end of the season/playoffs?

I hope he works out, dual tight end threat would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wright's biggest liability is his poor ability to block, so that may be the main reason why he didn't see as many snaps in certain situations down the stretch when "smashmouth" football is more relevant, and games are more likely to be won in the trenches. It could also be that the majority of our gameplans just didn't feature him, although his red zone ability alone would likely prove that incorrect.

It will be interesting to see if they want Wright to add some weight (if they believe his blocking can be improved upon) for the position of TE, or if they try what Tampa Bay did and move him to a WR. I think it's much more likely that he stays at TE here, but we have no idea what the coaches have in store, and what they think of his potential to improve in the all-important area of blocking.

Either way, he seems like he can be a nice weapon in certain situations, so we all hope that continues next year as well.

I like Wright, but he needs to add some bulk in order to take some snaps away from Hooman/Devlin... will know next year how much he "wants it"..

I don't expect him to do any blocking on this team as long as we have Gronk and Hooman. I want him to fill that Aaron Hernandez role, I think he can match up well vs corner backs and get open easy in the slot. From the few snaps I've seen him take he is a good at route running, reason why he is wide open a lot of times. Of course that can be also attributed with Gronk and Jules and Shane giving the defense fits too.

Hoomanawanui pretty much beat him out for playing time not sure if it was just because his a better blocker. as for the dual tight end threat well if your look for the two TE offense from 2011 that's not going to happen that was BOB's offense and Wright is not the talent that Hernandez was,

Tim Wright could be a starter on a few teams but here he is a roll player could that roll get bigger in 2015 yes but I don't see him as a 70 rec TE

I don't expect him to do any blocking on this team as long as we have Gronk and Hooman. I want him to fill that Aaron Hernandez role, I think he can match up well vs corner backs and get open easy in the slot. From the few snaps I've seen him take he is a good at route running, reason why he is wide open a lot of times. Of course that can be also attributed with Gronk and Jules and Shane giving the defense fits too.

While Hernandez was no "Gronk" in terms of blocking, he was miles ahead of anything close to what Tim Wright can currently offer. We need that ability to block at the position, especially when the majority of plays aren't coming to him. The main part of the 2 TE set that makes it so effective is the ability to mix/match + change the play at the line depending on defensive scheme. It calls for the ability to both run and pass effectively, especially if you're getting into hurry up situations.

If they believe that Wright can grow with his blocking, they'll likely have him add some bulk and then you could see some glimpses of what you're hoping to see in regards to a potential Hernandez replacement.

While Hernandez was no "Gronk" in terms of blocking, he was miles ahead of anything close to what Tim Wright can currently offer. We need that ability to block at the position, especially when the majority of plays aren't coming to him. The main part of the 2 TE set that makes it so effective is the ability to mix/match + change the play at the line depending on defensive scheme. It calls for the ability to both run and pass effectively, especially if you're getting into hurry up situations.

If they believe that Wright can grow with his blocking, they'll likely have him add some bulk and then you could see some glimpses of what you're hoping to see in regards to a potential Hernandez replacement.

I'm skeptical if Wright can grow into blocking (run or pass) at an adequate level. I know hes up to 235 but his build is still too slight for the position.

I'm sure it's already been thought of but why not try and convert him to a WR? If Amendola walks, slide Jules to the slot and Wright to WR. The kid is a big target and has good hands. His physical attributes and split times are very similar to Anquan Boldin's. Just a thought...

He's really good they need to get him on the field more.

I like Wright, but he needs to add some bulk in order to take some snaps away from Hooman/Devlin... will know next year how much he "wants it"..

My fiance is obsessed with Hoomanawanui but I think he's borderline a waste of a roster spot and cap space.. he makes over a million for someone who barely ever sees the field.. how he's making more than vet minimum is a complete mystery to me

My fiance is obsessed with Hoomanawanui but I think he's borderline a waste of a roster spot and cap space.. he makes over a million for someone who barely ever sees the field.. how he's making more than vet minimum is a complete mystery to me

If I recall correctly he had a good game against the Ravens and caught one or two passes in the SB.

Hooman and his blocking have been awesome and when we call passes for him usually no one expects him to catch it because he usually does the blocking.

wright isn't a tight end. for example, andre johnson is bigger.

Not a good blocker...but has flashes and had plenty last year...players i am most excited to see are Easley and him

Given the aforementioned blocking problems, I think his ceiling is about what julius Thomas is. That's the best scenario, a big, fast TE that will mismatch with both safeties and linebackers.

He won't get THAT good, but he'll catch a good amount of balls.

81-T.Wright: 31% of offensive snaps, 13% of ST snaps
47-M.Hoomanawanui: 42% of offensive snaps, 31% of ST snaps

I think Wright will post yardage numbers similar to his rookie season in Tampa, maybe a little better and similar TD production to year 2 with us.

He'll be the best receiving TE we've had behind Gronk since Hernandez but will probably never be a good blocker, hopefully at least another nice mismatch player.

Wright should see more PT next year after he gets an entire offseason with the Pats. Good player, just needs to grow more into his role here.

By "barely ever" do you mean 40+% of the snaps?

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but he clearly has an important role in the offense.

Hoomanawanui pretty much beat him out for playing time

Hooman plays what is essentially an entirely different position. NE decided heavier lines were more helpful. Had they chosen to go with more spread and athleticism, Wright would have played more.

While Hernandez was no "Gronk" in terms of blocking, he was miles ahead of anything close to what Tim Wright can currently offer.

Considering that curling up in the fetal position in front of the defender could have approximated Ahern's blocking, I'm not comfortable putting him "miles ahead" of anyone. As long as Wright becomes equivalent to a good WR in that area, he'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back