PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

throwback uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
italianpatthepatriot said:
finally...one allied with me...

I am with you. I love the topics you bring up and even if it were only for one game, I would love to see the throwback uniforms.

Michigan Dave said:
This argument is silly to me. The uniforms aren't meant as a historical representation of the actual Revolutionary War soldiers. Lions are not blue, yet no one laughs at the Detroit Lions. Red is one of the colors of the USA, and the New England Patriots, therefore a red uniform has no historical significance whatsoever.

Sorry, but this one is just too obvious. The team was named "Patriots" because of the region's historical significance, and they made their mark by defeating the "redcoats" in battle. Symbolically speaking, the old Pats did just that by shooting themselves in the foot more often than not. A big change was needed and Orthwein did the right thing. The Colonial Army wore blue uniforms and following suit just made sense.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
If we're gonna wear the red ones, I want the ones from 1976, that kind of came down to the middle of the forearm!
Current uniform protocol likely doesn't allow such a long sleeve.

Tunescribe said:
Sorry, but this one is just too obvious. The team was named "Patriots" because of the region's historical significance, and they made their mark by defeating the "redcoats" in battle. Symbolically speaking, the old Pats did just that by shooting themselves in the foot more often than not. A big change was needed and Orthwein did the right thing. The Colonial Army wore blue uniforms and following suit just made sense.

I understand this. But we are talking about a football team, not an army. There is no historical symbolism in the football uniform. The colors of the country are red, white, and blue, as are the colors of the team. Also, you are incorrect in stating that the Colonial Army wore blue. True, some did. They also wore red, white, and brown uniforms depending on region. So, the Patriots wearing red would indeed follow the historical significance if one were so inclined to believe it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hok said:
How The Powers That Be chose silver over red as an alternate jersey color is beyond me.

Nice Photoshop work. I think a red jersey with blue pants would be a really cool and distinct look. I'll see if I can work it out in PS.

That **** looks dope!

Michigan Dave said:
I would love to see this third jersey:

3776.jpg

That looks really tight! Can we email this to Jonathon and Bob Craft somehow?

Last edited:
Love the old unis. I own (2) throwbacks. Johnathan Kraft had better check with his marketing dept., because they sell quite a few throwbacks every year. If they didn't make money on them they wouldn't be in the pro-shop. It's called supply and demand.

Having a throwback uni day every few seasons would be fun. Doesn't necessarily have to be in Foxboro.

If they can wear those awful silver/dirty-white unis every season then what's the big deal.

The old unis remind me of all the fun times I had going to the games with my Dad. Win or lose it was always fun.

THEARCHIVES said:
That looks really tight! Can we email this to Jonathon and Bob Craft somehow?

1. I didn't create that image.

2. Teams no longer accept fan submissions. The fear of legality arises. Basically, if you send it into the team, and they end up using the image, or a similar design, they have to pay you. They do not want to do this. The Baltimore Ravens lawsuit basically established this.

denverpatsfan said:
Having a throwback uni day every few seasons would be fun. Doesn't necessarily have to be in Foxboro.

Right on Denver. Our fan club down here in DC holds a Throwback Day every season, regardless of whether or not the Pats are wearing their old unis.

Here's a concept I did that blends a little bit of the old with a the new. The option exists to wear white pants with similar striping as the old uniforms, and the current blue pants as well. I killed the silver altogether for this concept (except for in the logo) since I think it's OK to ditch for a third jersey. I like the white helmet with the flying elvis, too.

PatsConcept.jpg

Michigan Dave said:
Here's a concept I did that blends a little bit of the old with a the new. The option exists to wear white pants with similar striping as the old uniforms, and the current blue pants as well. I killed the silver altogether for this concept (except for in the logo) since I think it's OK to ditch for a third jersey. I like the white helmet with the flying elvis, too.

PatsConcept.jpg

Not bad, but it's still too much red for my liking. This is the blue-era of the Pats, and by far the most successful, so long live it.

pats1 said:
Not bad, but it's still too much red for my liking. This is the blue-era of the Pats, and by far the most successful, so long live it.

Pretty tight , though.:D

I think I'm nuts, but didn't the Pats have more blue than red uniforms and the Pat Patriot helmet? I thought those bright red 80's uni's were a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murphys95 said:
Funny, I think ItalianPat always brings up fun topics. :)

Plus, I disagree. When I see the throwback logo - it conjures up great memories for me. Football isn't all about winning in my book. Sure, the Patriots, like you said, were also rans back in the day, but that was part of who they were (and still are). Pat Patriot reminds me of Sundays with my dad, going to Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium, watching a team of talented players who just couldn't reach their mark. I still view the Patriots through those youthful eyes.

....and those alternate silver unis just look like the players forgot to launder their white jerseys. Ugly.

Agreed. A lot of great players and a lot of great efforts over the years.

I'm proud of the original franchise through the years because it took a lot of guts to keep football in New England.

Though we flopped at times, we had exceptionally good teams at times in the 60's 70's and 80's despite little money, ownership turmoil and nomadic situations not many teams could survive.:eat1:, (an applause smilie would have been nice).

Hok said:
I think a red jersey with blue pants would be a really cool and distinct look. I'll see if I can work it out in PS.
branch8ue.jpg

Apologies in advance for the amateurish PS work.

nescott said:
Joanthan Kraft has said the issue is closed the team will not wear the old throwbacks ever again in Foxboro. He has been asked this question every year and same answer.

Kind of petty, if you ask me.

Now that they've had success, (thanks Bill B.), they want to deny the man that put it together and held it together somehow for 30 years.

There's bad blood, but Sullivan's dead. Why not take the high road and throw a bone to the long time fan?

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:

There's red stripes on the flag. Do you argue with everything?

Michigan Dave said:

PatsConcept.jpg

:rocker:

That looks awesome. It's a big improvement over the silver, IMO.

I remember reading somewhere that teams in red are generally supported more than those in blue, because people are attracted to red's powerful image. With that being said, I still like Pats' blue.

I'd like to see the Pat Patriot helmets. Even with the blue.

Michigan Dave said:

PatsConcept.jpg

I dig. Cool concept.

Hok said:
branch8ue.jpg

Apologies in advance for the amateurish PS work.

The logo doesn't go good with the red on the sleeves. Your shade of red, however, is darker than Michigan Dave's layout's. Maybe if you could use Dave's shade of red, take out the silver of the helmet and make it white, and also fix the blue and white stripe on the sleeve just above the logo, it would look mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST