PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Jets were playing in foxboro I'd say pats win no doubt. But it being in new york, the jets home opener, with all that energy coming off the first win, things might not be so easy as the pats think. Brady hasnt played in the meadowlands since the infamous spygate game in 2007, two whole years ago. Thats as hostile the territory is going to get this year for Brady. Pats will be coming off short rest from the monday night game. Wouldnt be surprised to see the jets pull the upset. The game will be a war between the Jets defense and the pats offense with the jets offense/pats Defense caught in the middle. If the jets do to brady what they did to schaub, the jets will prevail, if brady is protected the game belongs to new england. it boils down to that in the end.

The problem with Jet fans is year in and year out they constantly talk about future possibilities and always end up looking like….well….the Jets.

Werent you going to the superbowl after you beat the Pats 3rd stringers (barely) last year??

Last edited:
Really? Jets shut out a team with a top 5 WR, top RB, top TE - they do it on the road, hold the RB to 17 yards and the WR to 30 - and you don't think it's impressive? Define impressive.

Whats more impressive than that, and we will pass over the "top RB" comment, is a Jet's fan so stuck in his opening day win against the Texans he thinks this means a repeat performance against Brady and the Patriots. That takes real delusion......delusion of an impressive state.

EDIT: Why can't this get moved to the Visiting Locker Room? It is drawing in the trolls.

Last edited:
Impressive is when you shut out a team that has actually made minute adjustments, halftime adjustments, dug deep in its bag of tricks and tried like heck.

Example: Houston should have recognized right away that Ryan's strategy was to bring heavy pressure up the middle; using Jenkins as 2nd wave blitz from time to time, and gone to either throwing hot or sight adjustment on OL pre-snap adjustment.

Instead of changing play at the snap once he saw Jenkins motion to hybrid LB, Schaub just tried to beat the rush.

Brady is one of the best if not the best at pre-snap identification and change of play at the snap. Pre-snap, he knows 90% of the time what is coming, and after the snap, he knows 99.9% of the time.

That is why the Jests will get schooled next week. Thank you, sir.

You're right, the Texans were abysmal at recognizing the jets defensive schemes and adjusting to them. And yes Brady is one of the best at identifying Defenses and adapting the play. But that knowledge and prowess does not directly translate to making perfect plays on the field. Brady can't control who blocks and who doesn't, he just needs to react to what he is presented with. Which means even if he recognizes the the blitz, he still needs to hope that his o line can block for him before the jets skilled pass rushers get in his face and throw him around like they did to Schaub. I believe Brady knew the giants defense in the superbowl but it was just that the Giants kept getting in regardless due to their talent on Defense. Same principle applies to this game, he needs to actually avoid the pass rush, knockdowns, sacks, rather than just recognize them

The problem with Jet fans is year in and year out they constantly talk about future possibilities and always end up looking like….well….the Jets.

Werent you going to the superbowl after you beat the Pats 3rd stringers (barely) last year??

Thats the Gospel right there.

Well, you don't have to y'know. Maybe I'm misinformed, but you don't actually play for the team. As fans, we actually have the luxury to look ahead and discuss a game that takes place two weeks from now.
Right now, my main focus is going to be seeing how we match up against the Bills, the style of game and the execution. From there, Ill make comment on what I observed from the Jets and the Pats then contribute from there.

I guess waiting to see all parties involved to make an informed opinion after some careful consideration would be a silly thing wouldn't it.

watched the game from beginning to end here in NY. a few thoughts:

1) The Jets are always going to win the Super Bowl in September.
2) The D played tough to the extent that it's hard to tell whether the Texans were overhyped after a strong finish to last season giving rise to big expectations this year or whether the Jets were "that good." But, they were good.
3) I'm not ready to give Sanchez his ticket to Canton or even to Offensive Rookie of the year. But, he is for real as a QB in the NFL.

Bottom line: Jury's out, but that was a damn good start.

I Don't often get the chance to watch the Texans and Matt Schaub play very often. What i saw today was the the Texans are a pretty soft team overall and their coaching staff did a terrible job of making adjustments.
Schaub is not anyone I'd be pinning big game hopes on any time soon. He was outplayed by a rookie making his first start in the league.
The Jets played a poor, over hyped team today.

Right now, my main focus is going to be seeing how we match up against the Bills, the style of game and the execution. From there, Ill make comment on what I observed from the Jets and the Pats then contribute from there.

I guess waiting to see all parties involved to make an informed opinion after some careful consideration would be a silly thing wouldn't it.

There's no reason to get your panties in a twist. I wasn't being a smart ass. I was just saying that Bill Belichick is not your boss and you can comment on the Jets game next week without worrying that BB is going to call you into his office and scold you for looking ahead. I'm as excited about the Bills game as anyone, but I can also look ahead to Week 2 and have a discussion about it with Jets fans.

You're right, the Texans were abysmal at recognizing the jets defensive schemes and adjusting to them. And yes Brady is one of the best at identifying Defenses and adapting the play. But that knowledge and prowess does not directly translate to making perfect plays on the field. Brady can't control who blocks and who doesn't, he just needs to react to what he is presented with. Which means even if he recognizes the the blitz, he still needs to hope that his o line can block for him before the jets skilled pass rushers get in his face and throw him around like they did to Schaub. I believe Brady knew the giants defense in the superbowl but it was just that the Giants kept getting in regardless due to their talent on Defense. Same principle applies to this game, he needs to actually avoid the pass rush, knockdowns, sacks, rather than just recognize them

With one minor detail- the Jets DL don't exactly compare with the Giants DL.

Ok, great, we really need you focused for this next game. So, when will you grace us with your expert opinion? Can we make it a sticky on the forum when you do?

And he forgets the minor detail of Stephen Neal getting hurt early in the game and that was where the pressure came from after that which is why Brady couldn't step up in the pocket in deliver like he usually does. Hopefully, that won't be the case come Week 2.

Ok, great, we really need you focused for this next game. So, when will you grace us with your expert opinion? Can we make it a sticky on the forum when you do?
Yeah, didn't you know I've a direct line to Ernie Adams who takes orders from me, then shoots them down to Beligenius on a closed line with the number being a secret between Robert Kraft, Ernie Adams, Bill Belichick and myself direct from Australia :rolleyes:

The Jets pass rush will be just as effective. The giants didnt have the mammoth in Jenkins who takes 2-3 to block him, They blitz on almost every play. They will get in.

I thought the Jets defense played much better than expected. They were aggressive and just flat outplayed Houston. Offensively the Jets looked pretty good but they are not elite by any stretch.

After Monday night's win, then we can start to focus on the Jets.

The Jets pass rush will be just as effective. The giants didnt have the mammoth in Jenkins who takes 2-3 to block him, They blitz on almost every play. They will get in.

You better hope they do. If they get held up at the LOS, Brady is likely to have a career day. As a Jets fan, you'll learn one thing: a Rex Ryan defense will live by the blitz and die by the blitz.

Really? Jets shut out a team with a top 5 WR, top RB, top TE - they do it on the road, hold the RB to 17 yards and the WR to 30 - and you don't think it's impressive? Define impressive.

OK…Let me break out the online Webster dictionary.

Impressive: winning consistently on the road.
winning 4 games in the month of December
beating the upper echelon teams regularly.
winning a playoff game (or two)

Settle down and come back after you've done that (If in fact you're still a Jets by the time it happens).

Last edited:

Forget it. I give up. I'll just let the game speak for itself next week.

God, you guys are really coming out of the woodwork now. I agree with a top five WR. Johnson is good. But since when has Steve Slaton proved that he is a top five RB? After that, I can't even tell you who the Texans' TE is, much less tell you whether or not he is in the top five. Jesus. Talk about grasping at straws...

After reading many of the posts in this thread, I have to appreciate a number of the posts that were realistic and reasonably accurate. As far as the Texans are concerned, it was week one. Ryan and the Jets have had months to prepare for them. Case in point, their number one weapon was Johnson. He was neutralized by Revis and one other DB. They hit Schaub early and often and it obviously affected him the entire game.

On offense, Sanchez faced several blitzes and was able to make plays (due to a pocket presence and mobility that no other Jet QB has had in decades).

Next week, if Ryan wants to send three blitzers in the same gap, then Brady will just dump it off and you will have huge gains. What little success Houston had today was on screens to Slaton.

As far as NEs defense, it will be interesting to see how all the new starters on defense fair. Yes Sanchez will feel much more pressure than he did today but Houston (IMO) has a better secondary than NE.

As happy as I am about today, next week's game will not feature either team's best. Jets without Pace, too early in the season for either team to be in their groove, NE coming off a Monday nighter (a bye week but none the less).

We are probably a year away from challenging for the division. This is probably what Belli was thinking when he traded Seymour. We will most likely be a better team next year, so instead of getter older on both offense and defense, you guys will most likely have a top 10 pick (if not much higher).

I look forward to next week but just like this week, its too early in the season to get too excited win or lose.

OK…Let me break out the online Webster dictionary.

Impressive: winning consistently on the road.
winning 4 games in the month of December
beating the upper echelon teams regularly.
winning a playoff game (or two)

Settle down and come back after you've done that (If in fact you're still a Jets by the time it happens).

They did win their last 6 out of 7 games at home. They don't have any scrubs in their division so that says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News