PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about some credit where it's due? The Jets went into Houston onthe first week of the season - with a rookie qb, and coach, and they blew the Texans out of the water. They are 12-4 at home the last two years. And their offense was ranked 4th in the NFL in total yardage last season. The defense SHUT THEM OUT with two of the cornerstones missing. Next week we get Ellis back. Don't think the Patriots are just gonna blow the Jets outta the water next week. It'll be interesting to see them against Buffalo. Here's to a good season.

Good post. If you keep that tone and those smarts about you, you'll join Gunnails as a respected (wrong, mind you, but respected) voice for the Jets and avoid people's ignore lists. In that spirit, Welcome to the Board.

if you read what i posted earlier in this thread, i think you'll see that I did give them due credit, as did many others along the way.

i watched the game from end to end. the D was formidable, but not tested by a first rate offense. also there were a couple of dumb penalties for roughness after plays ended; i always worry when i see that early in the season as it tends to indicate a lack of discipline that will not improve as the season goes on.

as for Sanchez, he removed any doubts that he can start in the NFL, but two relatively easy INT's were dropped and, let's be honest, his one TD pass was the result of a blown coverage by a rookie--any QB on any NFL roster could have connected on that pass or been on his way to the Practice Squad today. However, I will grant that the pass to Keller towards the end of the game was a big time play and that he showed a lot of poise.

if you think we are greeting this win with too much skepticism, i remind you that it has been the Jets' pattern for some time now that they are going to win the Super Bowl in September. but i do agree that next Sunday's game will be a war, with the Jets having the advantage of an extra day's rest and home field.

As long as Sanchez can give them a Flacco/Ryan-esque presence at the position, the Jets will content for a playoff bearth. They can run the ball, they have good talent on defense. Ryan will get them to play tough, physical football. 10-6, 11-5 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Ryan is doing a good job so far. I expect the D scheme next week to be the same approach he took when we played the Ravens in 2007. I will be interested to see the adjustments BB has made to deal with the way teams were playing us after the philly game in 2007 when JJ came out with the blueprint to attack the Pats O.

God, you guys are really coming out of the woodwork now. I agree with a top five WR. Johnson is good. But since when has Steve Slaton proved that he is a top five RB? After that, I can't even tell you who the Texans' TE is, much less tell you whether or not he is in the top five. Jesus. Talk about grasping at straws...

Did I say Slaton was a top 5 Back? But he's definitely a top tier back; he put up 1300 yards in his rookie season. And if you don't know who Owen Daniels is, you really need to pay more attention to teams other than your own. He's definitely top 5 as a pass catching TE, though he's a middle of the road blocker

You better hope they do. If they get held up at the LOS, Brady is likely to have a career day. As a Jets fan, you'll learn one thing: a Rex Ryan defense will live by the blitz and die by the blitz.

Yep. I gotta say, I'm a little surprised by the reaction some of you people are having to the mere suggestion that the Jets might be able to rush Brady. There are a few of you in here who seem to actually have a grasp of football and are aware that no game is won until it's played; the rest are acting like the Pats are untouchable. Pats ought to be favored to win this game, and gun to my head, I'd pick 'em; I think Welker's going to give Lito Sheppard fits, and Brady will make plays. But I'm not going to be shocked or surprised if the Jets win, either. This will be a close, hard fought game that, at the very least, the Pats will walk away from in a whole lot of pain, because win or lose, the Jets D is going to hit people in the mouth.

Good luck tonight (though as a Jets fan, you know I'd love to see nothing more than a Bills romp :D) and we'll see what happens Sunday. Don't expect me back right after the game, though - it's Rosh Hashana, so I'll need to watch it on DVR that night. Win or lose, we'll talk later.

OK…Let me break out the online Webster dictionary.

Impressive: winning consistently on the road.
winning 4 games in the month of December
beating the upper echelon teams regularly.
winning a playoff game (or two)

Settle down and come back after you've done that (If in fact you're still a Jets by the time it happens).

In other words, there's no such thing as an "impressive" win of a single game? Gotcha. Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, however dumb it may be.

I liked theJets running game Jones 13 carries for 12 yards. Wasn't it? Just like the Raven's game plans. Defense and Running game; wasn't that the formula?:rolleyes:

Jones had 20 carries for 107 yards. Other than that, you're right.

(In the first half and through the first drive of the second half, the Texans played 8 in the box and dared Sanchez to beat them, blitzing on most passing plays. The Jets run O didn't look very good against that, but Sanchez put up 17 points. That's when the Texans loosened up a bit to defend the pass - and when the Jets run game got untracked)

The Jets are good, I think. Alaways been a tough match up for our Patsies. If we can win, then I'll be impressed. I do have more confidence that we can rush the pastor...used to be they'd have all dillyday back there.

Anywho, should be a good gamest.

The Jets are good, I think. Alaways been a tough match up for our Patsies. If we can win, then I'll be impressed. I do have more confidence that we can rush the pastor...used to be they'd have all dillyday back there.

Gotta watch for him to make a quick dumpoff to the altar boy.

Did I read that right? lol

I think you're giving Sanchez too much credit now...

The Pats have passed the first test of successfully rushing the Rabbi. Granted it was this past Saturday on the Sabbath and the Rabbi might not have been bringing his A game.

I expect the D scheme next week to be the same approach he took when we played the Ravens in 2007.

The scheme of waiting for the other teams coaching staff to call a TO when their team already stopped your team on 4th and 1 and negated the play allowing your team to pick up the conversion on the do-over?

The Pats should have lost that game but didn't because of the incompetence of the Raven's coaching staff.

EDIT: Has anyone found that sea turtle Rex Ryan was hiding under his shirt during yesterday's game?

Last edited:
I watched the whole game. Kris Jenkins played very well, and the Jets got a lot of pressure up the middle. Jenkins vs. Koppen is a bad matchup for the Patriots and that leaves them vulnerable to inside blitzes and other schemes to get pressure up the middle.

The Jets converted a lot of third downs and a lot of these were passes to Cotchery on drag routes across the middle. Sanchez locks in on Cotchery and Keller when he moves out of the pocket. BB should be able to scheme this.

Again, the Jets are a very solid team. Both of their lines are solid, they have really good CBs, and I love their young QB.

None of us know if the Patriots defense will gel. The Pats starting CB tandem could end up being two new additions to the team, if Springs starts. They will be relying on two rookie DTs, as part of the DLine rotation. It's may take some time.

The Pats offense will be potent, IMHO, and it's hard to see the Jets matching numbers with them. Again, we will see.

As for the rest of the AFC East, the Dolphins are the Division Champs, until somebody beats them out.

The Bills have a nice set of WRs, but with their OLine being below average, it's hard to see the QB getting alot of time to throw.

The AFC East overall, including the Jets, is pretty solid overall.

Jones had 20 carries for 107 yards. Other than that, you're right.

(In the first half and through the first drive of the second half, the Texans played 8 in the box and dared Sanchez to beat them, blitzing on most passing plays. The Jets run O didn't look very good against that, but Sanchez put up 17 points. That's when the Texans loosened up a bit to defend the pass - and when the Jets run game got untracked)

Jones had done basically nothing until the last two drives against a beaten Texans defense.

Look, I understand that you're a Jets fan. I'll give you the same advice I give to Patriots fans. When it comes to the Koolaid, take sips and not chugs. Sanchez did not play well last night, and he did not play poorly. He played like a first-time quarterback. Had the Texans not stunk out the joint, they could have had 4 or more interceptions.

Jones had done basically nothing until the last two drives against a beaten Texans defense.

Look, I understand that you're a Jets fan. I'll give you the same advice I give to Patriots fans. When it comes to the Koolaid, take sips and not chugs. Sanchez did not play well last night, and he did not play poorly. He played like a first-time quarterback. Had the Texans not stunk out the joint, they could have had 4 or more interceptions.

So you're saying Cutler might have even had a game against The Texans? :D

So you're saying Cutler might have even had a game against The Texans? :D

Hey, Let's not get crazy here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick