PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the texans were horrible...........

the result meant nothing.............

OH and im a bit curious, are you guys at all considered by the loss of seymour?

and, are you worried about having two new starting cornerbacks?
(I think theyre both first time pats, but not sure)
Sey is a great DL and you lose a little something every time you have a player of his caliber move on. That said, BB made that call based on a number of factors, not the least was the job the two rookie DL who made the roster did in pre-season. I'm also confident in the two DL who backed Seymour up, they've gotten the job done in past seasons.

It is my expectation that Jonathan Wilhite who started the final four games of last season will be starting at LCB, so technically there will be one new starter at CB.

Sunday night isn't even over yet, and I'm sick hearing about the Jets .. OMG .. You would think they 3 peated Superbowls .. Holy Smokes ..

Oh Good Lord, just how many trolls do we have in here?

The difference between the Texans and the Patriots is day and night, ok?

Texans are the only team in the NFL to NOT go to the playoffs, to NOT have a winning season in their entire history.

End of story.
Dumb post. (sorry) You are acting more the troll with such a post, just because a Jets fans is proud of an impressive victory today. The past means nothing, dude; otherwise, you would have to condemn the Pats after all their bad years in the 80s.

My thoughts are.....They beat a team they were supposed to beat......

That is all...

Here's the thing you guys need to worry about - how's Brady's knee going to impact his ability to slide away from the rush, and how will it stand up to getting hit? The Pats are not going to have much success running the ball against this Jets D; I'd expect to see the Pats try to spread the Jets out with multiple WR sets. But don't expect the Jets to react to that the way you've been used to over the past few years.

Under Mangini and Sutton, if teams ran 4 or 5 WR sets, the Jets would either drop a ton of men into coverage (allowing good QBs to stand back and pick them apart) or blitz 5 or 6 men directly into blockers. That's not this D's philosophy. Think Ravens - if you go 4 wide, the Jets will likely rush 6 - but they'll rush 6 while overloading a portion of your blocking, rather than spreading them across your offensive front. I'd expect to see a steady diet of David Harris and Bart Scott coming through the gap opened by whoever is helping out on Jenkins.

If Brady can hit quick passes behind blitzing LBs, it will be a long day for the Jets. On the other hand, if the Jets can pressure Brady up the gut - and that will happen at least once or twice, the question is whether they can do it consistently - then the Jets will have a real chance of winning the game.

(BTW, to whoever said Sanchez will be looking at schemes he hasn't seen - he practices against the Jets D every week. His been seeing ridiculous pressure schemes in practice since the jump. He'll make his share of rookie mistakes, but he won't be particularly rattled).

The Jests looked solid, they could be our main competition this year. Sancheze looked like the real deal at least today.

What i want to know is have the NY Media proclaimed that the Rats are going to the Super Bowl yet?

The Jests looked solid, they could be our main competition this year. Sancheze looked like the real deal at least today.

What i want to know is have the NY Media proclaimed that the Rats are going to the Super Bowl yet?

No doubt knowing them. I am sure the mediots from BSPN are already drolling with stories about the Jets going to the SB and winning it after the first game.......:eek:

the texans were horrible...........

the result meant nothing.............

Haha, dude, it's 3 consecutive periods. Called an ellipsis.

Also, the Jets defense looked very strong and the fact that there are 7 pages on this thread means we are headed for an awesome game next week between two elite GQ models.

Dumb post. (sorry) You are acting more the troll with such a post, just because a Jets fans is proud of an impressive victory today. The past means nothing, dude; otherwise, you would have to condemn the Pats after all their bad years in the 80s.

I think what you mean to say is what happened yesterday means nothing, but you do learn from the past. There is a reason the Texans haven't gone anywhere..

And today was not an impressive victory, btw.

I think what you mean to say is what happened yesterday means nothing, but you do learn from the past. There is a reason the Texans haven't gone anywhere..

And today was not an impressive victory, btw.

Really? Jets shut out a team with a top 5 WR, top RB, top TE - they do it on the road, hold the RB to 17 yards and the WR to 30 - and you don't think it's impressive? Define impressive.

My thoughts are.....They beat a team they were supposed to beat......

That is all...

Actually they beat a team that they weren't supposed to beat. Houston was favored. So yeah, they aren't the Patriots, but they aren't a BAD team by any stretch of the imagination.

Actually they beat a team that they weren't supposed to beat. Houston was favored. So yeah, they aren't the Patriots, but they aren't a BAD team by any stretch of the imagination.

I have to disagree with that - not because I want to bash on the Jets or anything, but because I really just don't think it's true. The Texans have been a bad team since they came into the league, and they were a bad team last year, and for no real reason the "experts" decided they were going to be good this year. Until I see them actually do it, I have to consider them to be the same bad team they've been for years.

It was ONE BLOODY GAME. Let's not pretend that it proved anything about the Jets other than that they were physical enough to overmatch a very soft team in the first game of the season.

The Jets right now are the biggest worry in the division. I still think we win it, but we're going to have to gut out games against them if only for their defense. Unlike many of you, Sanchez doesn't scare me and BB along with our D should be able to force him into looking like a rookie and actually making mistakes... unlike the Texans who, for some reason, refused to put heat on him. But, from what I saw of the game, the Jets defense looks like the real deal. Miami looks bad and I'm not too worried that we're going to lose either of our games to Buffalo this year. For Miami, I think Chad Henne is in by mid season because no defense is going to respect a deep game from Miami as long as Pennington is the QB. Baltimore really exposed them in that playoff game last year and Atlanta picked up right where the Ravens left off.

Many of us scare you ? :D

Here's the thing you guys need to worry about - how's Brady's knee going to impact his ability to slide away from the rush, and how will it stand up to getting hit? I think as each game passes Brady will regain his naturally instinctive method of sidestepping the threat around him. I think as long as the hits he takes are legal, and no odd angles from tumbling bodies, he should hold up well enough.

The Pats are not going to have much success running the ball against this Jets D; Why not? I would be curious why you think we won't. We have a healthy RB corps, and signed a 3rd year blocking TE from the Giants who seems to block pretty good.

I'd expect to see the Pats try to spread the Jets out with multiple WR sets. But don't expect the Jets to react to that the way you've been used to over the past few years. If Galloway is closer to the same page as Brady, Welker is on his feet, and the Thomas/Watson/Edelman combo are average....you have an air attack problem coming your way.

Under Mangini and Sutton, if teams ran 4 or 5 WR sets, the Jets would either drop a ton of men into coverage (allowing good QBs to stand back and pick them apart) or blitz 5 or 6 men directly into blockers. That's not this D's philosophy. Think Ravens - if you go 4 wide, the Jets will likely rush 6 - but they'll rush 6 while overloading a portion of your blocking, rather than spreading them across your offensive front. I'd expect to see a steady diet of David Harris and Bart Scott coming through the gap opened by whoever is helping out on Jenkins. Brady is one of the best at recognizing the Defensive alignments and audibilizing (sp) the right play/pickups.

If Brady can hit quick passes behind blitzing LBs, it will be a long day for the Jets. On the other hand, if the Jets can pressure Brady up the gut - and that will happen at least once or twice, the question is whether they can do it consistently - then the Jets will have a real chance of winning the game. Same is true of any offense and QB in the league. All depends on the OL; if they hold for even 2 seconds, Moss will kill you on the slant, or Welker, or RB on the screen.

(BTW, to whoever said Sanchez will be looking at schemes he hasn't seen - he practices against the Jets D every week. His been seeing ridiculous pressure schemes in practice since the jump. He'll make his share of rookie mistakes, but he won't be particularly rattled).There is a world apart from a practice D and an opposition D. Speed, contact, positioning...etc. I think Sanchez will do well enough. But do YOU think he can outgun Brady and our offensive threats in a shootout?

I think the biggest advantage we have is in coaching. Ryan is unproven as a HC, and BB always does well with the newbs.

Last edited:
Really? Jets shut out a team with a top 5 WR, top RB, top TE - they do it on the road, hold the RB to 17 yards and the WR to 30 - and you don't think it's impressive? Define impressive.

Impressive is when you shut out a team that has actually made minute adjustments, halftime adjustments, dug deep in its bag of tricks and tried like heck.

Example: Houston should have recognized right away that Ryan's strategy was to bring heavy pressure up the middle; using Jenkins as 2nd wave blitz from time to time, and gone to either throwing hot or sight adjustment on OL pre-snap adjustment.

Instead of changing play at the snap once he saw Jenkins motion to hybrid LB, Schaub just tried to beat the rush.

Brady is one of the best if not the best at pre-snap identification and change of play at the snap. Pre-snap, he knows 90% of the time what is coming, and after the snap, he knows 99.9% of the time.

That is why the Jests will get schooled next week. Thank you, sir.

I'll concern myself with the Jets after Buffalo.

God, you guys are really coming out of the woodwork now. I agree with a top five WR. Johnson is good. But since when has Steve Slaton proved that he is a top five RB? After that, I can't even tell you who the Texans' TE is, much less tell you whether or not he is in the top five. Jesus. Talk about grasping at straws...

I'll concern myself with the Jets after Buffalo.

Well, you don't have to y'know. Maybe I'm misinformed, but you don't actually play for the team. As fans, we actually have the luxury to look ahead and discuss a game that takes place two weeks from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back