This Morning's Huddle Piece: A note on the 2003 defense, more notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
For those who haven't seen it, here's the first part of this morning's huddle piece:

The debate may go on about which team between the Patriots’ 2003 and 2004 was the better team, but after going through the numbers, it’s hard not to appreciate how dominant the 2003 group was on the defensive side of the football.

What they accomplished was pretty impressive. They finished the season having allowed just 238 points during the regular season, including three shutouts (12-0 against Dallas, 12-0 against Miami, 31-0 vs Buffalo). They lead the league in points-per-game allowed with 14.9, along with finishing with an NFL best 29 interceptions.

Ten players finished with interceptions that season, with Ty Law and Tyrone Poole leading the way with six. Here’s a look at the list:

Ty Law: 6
Tyrone Poole: 6
Eugene Wilson: 4
Tedy Bruschi: 3
Rodney Harrison: 3
Asante Samuel: 2
Mike Vrabel: 2
Aric Morris: 1
Willie McGinest: 1
Larry Izzo: 1

The secondary that season had quite a year, finishing with 121 passes defensed, 13 better than the next team in that category, which was the Houston Texans with 108. That’s the most of the Belichick era, and the fourth highest total over that same span behind the 2001 Browns (130) and the ’05 and ’06 Eagles (129 and 124 respectively).

Law lead the league in passes defensed that year with 23, while Poole was third with 21.

The group up front was solid as well, with New England finishing the year ranked 4th in rushing yards per game allowed with 89.6, also their best performance of the Belichick era. Ted Washington and Richard Seymour did a good job inside, while Jarvis Green (2.5 sacks in the postseason) Mike Vrabel (3 postseason sacks), Tedy Bruschi, rookie Ty Warren, and Roman Phifer were some key names from that group who made significant contributions during the postseason.

Rodney Harrison enjoyed a terrific first season in New England, finishing 2nd in the AFC during the postseason with 24 tackles and was tied with the Colts David Macklin with 2 interceptions, which was the 2nd most behind Law’s NFL best three. Harrison also had three passes defensed along with a forced fumble.

As we all know, Harrison’ arrival preceded the end of Lawyer Milloy’s career in New England. Everyone knows the story of the 31-0 opening loss to the Bills and the subsequent media reactions that followed. There’s always the famous “they hate their coach” comment by ESPN’s Tom Jackson, which Harrison later said wasn’t the case.

That was a tumultuous time, and the week before the Super Bowl that season Harrison reflected on what it was like when he first arrived, where he admitted he wasn’t well liked in the locker room.

“When I first came in, I really didn’t make any friends, I made enemies. No one really wanted to talk to me once I got in the locker room,” said Harrison. “I didn’t care about that. It wasn’t about me making friends. It was about me proving to people that I still had gas in my tank and that I can still play. As I spent some time with the guys, I realized they respected me and wanted me here. After that, I calmed myself down.”

Overall he said he was always fueled by the doubters who didn’t believe in him. That season ended up being a memorable one, and one that made him a valuable asset in the years to follow until he finally walked away from the game.

“Once again it was about people not believing that I was able to do it,” said Harrison. “I was too small, I wasn’t good enough to play in the Big 10 or any of the other schools I wanted to go to. I think that’s why I play with such rage. No one has ever given me credit or any sense that I was able to play at this level or even the college level. They always doubted me and that’s just driven me to prove people wrong.”

That he did, and he was a big reason for their success in a season that capped off their second championship. It’s a defense that will be remembered as one of the best during Belichick’s tenure, with a group that looking back on paper didn’t appear impressive at first, but collectively simply played really well together. They even managed to do it with additional players like defensive backs Eugene Wilson and Asante Samuel, who were both rookies at the time.

This season, with the additions of Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner, it’s a secondary that on paper should be a big improvement from where they were in past seasons. It will be interesting to see if this current group is able to approach the level that made this team one of the most dominant ones of those championship years.

Those were big shoes to fill, and looking back those players were all big reasons why that was definitely one of the more memorable defenses in Patriots history.
--
There's also more on what life was like for Harrison when he first got here, and additional notes for this morning if you want to read the rest:

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2014/06/23/morning-huddle-623-spotlight-patriots-2003-defense/

Last edited:
Don't forget that they had these great stats despite an opening day 31-0 LOSS vs Buffalo!
I loved being at those close defensive games far more than the 2007-2013 shootouts where the D often went flaccid on the last enemy drive.

That Buffalo loss was the only game I missed that season. Just had started my first day of work ever in my life at Walgreens as a young lad. Some Dolphins fan walked in to buy a pack of cigarettes and started smack talking the Pats (after I had asked what the final score of the Pats game was... no smart phones in 2003) saying that was going to be their division to lose. I just smiled and wished him a nice day while my hand was under the counter with my middle finger pointed in his direction. After that, I didn't miss a game the rest of that season and was only subjected to having to watch one loss that year.

The 2003 defense was easily the best defense in New England Patriots' history. I would argue it is one of the most underrated defenses in NFL history. But the offense was mediocre at best that year.

The 2004 was significantly worse than 2003 although still a top defense in the league, but their offense was significantly better than in 2003.

The 2003 team had an elite defense (the best in the league in points allowed) and a middle of the pack offense.
The 2004 had a top 3-5 defense and a top 3-5 offense.

It's ironic that the great 2003 defense and mediocre offense culminated in a high scoring 2nd half shootout in the SB.

It's ironic that the great 2003 defense and mediocre offense culminated in a high scoring 2nd half shootout in the SB.

Especially since the Panthers too were a great defense and a mediocre offense.

Especially since the Panthers too were a great defense and a mediocre offense.
And some of the points in the last 4 minutes of the half and then the 4th quarter.

The game vs the eagles (following year) had some very clutch plays by the D.

I think it should be noted that the 2003 defense managed to aquire all the stats that Ian reported DESPITE ranking 26th in the league in total defense. Certainly NOT the dominant defense that is being implied by those impressive numbers. I only mention this to reinforce the notion that stats are like art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The fact is that during that time the Pats did what they have always done, which is bend but not break. Reluctantly give up yards in the middle of the field. Be among the league leaders in turn overs, and play very strongly in the red zone. That's a combination that usually had the Pats in the top 10 scoring defenses, in the top 10 in sacks, and in the top 5 in turnovers, all the while languishing in the bottom third of the league in total yards.

Just think about the historically bad D we had in 2011. IIRC the Pats were at the bottom of the league in right up until the last game of the year when the Saints eeked them out for the historical worst season in giving up total yards, Yet they parlayed leading the league in TO's, and being one sack from being in the top 10, into being the 15th best scoring D, and a superbowl appearence.

It would be nice to have one of those "dominant" defenses, but I wonder if that's even possible these days. I prefer to have an "effective" defense. One that is capable of keeping the opponent off the score board, at least as much as possible. To do that they have to be able to turn the ball over on a consistent basis and make the big play (like a sack) at key times. We have proven for well over a decade, that all those other stats are meaningless. The ONLY defensive stat that matters is scoring defense.

All the rest only matter for purposes of discussion and analysis by the media and fans. (and for teaching purposes for coaches)

Ken, your post and this is not a criticism, illustrates why so many here lament the perceived lack of "big plays" from current Pats teams. The SB winners always had somebody, Brusci, Law, Harrison, whomever make a big drive ending play in key game after game after the enemy had marched down the length of the field into scoring position. The absence of this in the last enemy drives our last 2 SB appearances puts the old teams in sharp contrast.

It would be nice to have one of those "dominant" defenses, but I wonder if that's even possible these days.
I guess you didn't watch the superbowl.

C'mon Marqui, you & I coulda picked off those ducks! :)

I think that the 12-0 game against Dallas may still be my favourite Pats regular season game ever. I just kept screaming "Yes! Yes! Yes!" as they boa-constrictored them out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News