PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This game is not going to be a walk in the park

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Last time we faced the broncos we were owned in the 1st quarter

we could not stop the run, hopefully this will be minimized more this game with chung and spikes in the defense (of which neither played the past meeting) and apparently it was due to poor technique which I do not see us replicating

furthermore they got into a very good start, being up 16-7 at some point. What saved the D was a slew of turnovers, including fumbles and also a muff

if we fall behind again, I will not be happy

but if our offense starts rolling (if not from the beginning of the game at least from the 2nd quarter on ;) , we should be good)

our offense did extremely well after that, and i do not see how the broncos D will be able to put a stop to it now, when they could not last week, i expect the broncos to come out in a different defensive philosophy if they expect to have any type of chance

i can see how this game would be a one-sided affair, with our D being able to hold Denver more so than last game, but it could be much closer if their D can slow down our O, and our D proves inefficient

i doubt the players have, but the fans should NOT take this game lightly....itll prob be like most others this season, a roller coaster ride

but I will be hoping at the end that we see our first playoff win since sliding by SD in 2007

and if we see a dominant playoff win, that will be a first since maybe 2006

Last edited:
It will be a very tough game. The Broncos had some mental errors and TOs last time. That really is what opened things up for the Pats. They could not stop the run at all. If they get behind early again they could be in real trouble because Denver has a good D and can run the ball well. Plus they can open up the deep pass with PA. Denver is a very good team and it will be a tough game for the Patriots. In fact, the rematch with Denver worried me from the start of the playoffs.

Count me as one who belives this is by no means going to be a cake walk.

If I see that up-the-middle rush stalling our offense one more year I am gonna freak.

I have said it many times, the critical peice of this team is the offensive line. Hopefully 70 can go this week.

Gotta stay sharp and make plays...make plays...no Crumpler dropping a TD in the endzone, no Chung dropping a shoe-in first down on a fake punt.

We have to MAKE PLAYS.

Last edited:
I disagree. I think Denver blew their wad last week and there's just no gas left in the tank. I can see it getting ugly. Like Pats 28-0 in the first half ugly.

I disagree. I think Denver blew their wad last week and there's just no gas left in the tank. I can see it getting ugly. Like Pats 28-0 in the first half ugly.
Excellent use of mixed (and extremely vulgar) metaphors. :cool:

After losing two games in the first round, Brady/Belichick have a lot to prove.

This game will be balls to the wall for 4 quarters...

Of course anything can happen, but on paper the Patriots should roll. I'm really not concerned about how the last game started, mostly because of the way that it finished. You can't just take away the fumbles unless you take away the errors that let the Broncos run on them like I've never seen anyone run on them before. Both teams will adjust from that game but at the end of the day the Patriots are just a better all around team. By no means do I think the Broncos will go quietly but I just can't see how they win.

If the Pats get off to a slow start then I can see it being a close, 3 point game.

If the Pats start quick then I think they roll to an easy, couple TD win.

Last edited:
IMO, whether it is a blow out or close game comes down to protection for Tom Brady. If they keep him clean it will be a blow out.

Just no way "Timmy the Great" can sustain multiple drives to keep pace with Tommy Terrific.

This is a second round playoff game with the winner going to the AFCCG. They are not suppose to be walks in the parks.

Both teams will be leaving it all on the field. The team that executes the way they are suppose to, in all phases, will win.

Having said that, if the Patriots come out sharp, put the foot on the throat and not let up, they should win.

Will this be a walk in the park? - No.

Am I confident that we will beat Denver? - Yes

That is all.

Everyone seems to be focused on pats D stoping the 4 or 5 big passing plays that the Denver QB showed he can hit if given the opportunity. I am liitle worried that they can hit us for some big 20 + yard runs.

The play of Ninko and anderson is going to be huge. They really have be disciplined on the edge.

ot45xl.jpg

I don't like the fact that the Broncos have Seabiscuit at QB.

That horse doesn't know when to stay beaten.

Our last three playoff losses have come:

-Against opposing QBs who were regarded as far, far inferior to ours.
-Against teams with a much better pass rush than ours
-Either at home or on a neutral field
-Against teams with inferior records who we had already beaten during the regular season

Beyond that, what's there to be worried about?

Very few Pats games are "walks in the park". You just have to prepare for them correctly. Heres my list and its taken years to perfect: nitroglycerin pills, bottle of jack daniels (not the ****y little pint....the BIG bottle!), beef jerky to chew on....maybe the smaller bite size one's so you don't choke when McCorty gets caught with his jock around his ankles, blood pressure cuff, auto heart shock unit, 3 cases of harpoon IPA, two ribeye steaks medium rare so the blood drips down your chin as you yell obscenities at the refs....and totally freak out your friends watching with you, more nitro pills, a bible (hey it never hurts and has done amazing things for Tebow...and if you "code" the priest won't have to look for his), Tom Brady shirt, towel, wristband with all the names of your doctors and loved ones names on it, and a rubber brick to throw at the tv....because we all know that the announcers are going to be biased haters! Enjoy!

Our last three playoff losses have come:

-Against opposing QBs who were regarded as far, far inferior to ours.
-Against teams with a much better pass rush than ours
-Either at home or on a neutral field
-Against teams with inferior records who we had already beaten during the regular season

Beyond that, what's there to be worried about?

2007: Eli Manning not 'far, far inferior' to TB. Sure, I don't think he's top tier, but I'd take him over Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco.
2009: Pats were 10-6, Ravens were 9-7. Not an inferior record by any stretch.
2010: Your points are dead on. My opinion is that Rex Ryan had a great game plan and his team executed it and got some luck. Crappy loss.

2007: Eli Manning not 'far, far inferior' to TB. Sure, I don't think he's top tier, but I'd take him over Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco.
2009: Pats were 10-6, Ravens were 9-7. Not an inferior record by any stretch.
2010: Your points are dead on. My opinion is that Rex Ryan had a great game plan and his team executed it and got some luck. Crappy loss.

2007 Eli was terrible for most of the year. He finished the season with a 73.9 rating, went just 23/20 TD/INT and completed 56% of his passes. He went on a roll at the end of the year, but he was definitely "far, far inferior" to TB.

Just finished reading Jason Cole's piece on yahoo sports, and I have to admit, I'm nervous.

Not about what the Broncos can, or cannot do. Or really as a matter of what any of our possible opponents can do. More so what the Pats could do to themselves. That article put a HUGE focus on how intense everyone is, and it really seems to me they are putting TOO much on themselves to produce.
That's a lot of mediot crap. Its all interpretation to fit an agenda. You could just as easily cite the same intensity a positive. This kind of arm chair psychoanalysis is a joke

I think this is where the inability to produce in the opening quarters come from. It seems once everyone loosens up and relaxes, the points flow like water.
I can honestly see them coming out SO tight, they just bury themselves. Perhaps not this week, but at some point. I don't think anyone remaining in the AFC will "beat" the Pats...the only way they lose is through self infliction.

Thoughts?

I'll give you 3 specific reasons which should give you peace of mind

1. Adding Chung and Spikes to the line up, replacing White and Slater. You can't underestimate this upgrade. Not so much that Chung and Spikes are more than just good, but because White and Slater were completely overmatched and both played out of position

2. Denver runs a unique offense which the Pats had never seen. Playing it again just a month later is a huge advantage for the Pats. So when the mediots use all the stat from the first game it really has no relevance. Its a completely different situation

3. The game is in Foxboro - This helps an offense that has already proven that it can score over 30 in much tougher condition. It will also hinder the offensive efficiency of a team that CANNOT afford any issues

This isn't about how Denver can win. They can't. Its all about what the Pats have to do in order to lose. The answer is simple and we've seen it twice this year. The Pats had 4 turnovers in each of the Buffalo and Giant losses. So it CAN happen

However think about this: The mediots have harped on the Denver TO's, saying that it was an even game IF they didn't turn the ball over 3 times. So here's what has to happen inorder for this to be a close game. The Pats who have had 3 turnovers in the last 8 games has to suddenly turn the ball over multiple times. AND we also have to assume that McGahee, who is a chronic fumbler will NOT fumble and Tebow who is going to be counted on to run the ball more than 10 times will not fumble even though history tells us differently.

Sure both CAN happen but to have BOTH happen under the new conditions I outlined, its almost statistically improbable.

My advice to you is sit back, relax, and enjoy this impending victory, because next week we are gong to be an underdog. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents