PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This game is not going to be a walk in the park

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the fact that the Broncos have Seabiscuit at QB.

That horse doesn't know when to stay beaten.

Fortunately for us as racing analogies go Bill has Secretariat at QB... When he died they did a necropsy to see if they could uncover the secret that allowed him to not merely beat his competition but annilate it. Turns out the horse had a heart three times normal size...

As I recall NEP lore, BB used tape of Secretariat as a motivational tool early on showing his team that if your great you can overcome a bad break out of the gate and be behind the frontrunners or barely even at the pole and still pull away and literally bury them down the stretch.

Last edited:
I expect a walk in the park. If we lose it'll be a total choke job. Denver isn't good. They have a good WR and good running game to go with an average defense (that's allowed more points than the Patriots' defense).

We have a good running game (when we choose to use it), a pro bowl WR and two great TE. There is no excuse - NONE - to lose this game and I don't expect it to be close.

37-10 Patriots.

Our last three playoff losses have come:

-Against opposing QBs who were regarded as far, far inferior to ours.
-Against teams with a much better pass rush than ours
-Either at home or on a neutral field
-Against teams with inferior records who we had already beaten during the regular season

Beyond that, what's there to be worried about?

-With an the offense scoring an average of 16.3 points.

If that trend continues I don't like our chances, but I have faith that the offense will buck the trend of performing like a bottom tier one when it matters.

If the Pats were to lose this game (barring major injury trouble), then a lot of changes will have to be made, there is no reason for the pats not to beat the broncos, there really is none.

ot45xl.jpg
This about says it. Are we really seriously worried abnout a half-azzed team like the Denver FREAKING BRONCOS? They back into the playoffs with an 8-8 record with three straight losses that began with the Pats beating the loving crap out of them (...and don't give me that first quarter jive- there's four quarters in a football game.). Then they lose to a broken-down Steelers team whose crippled QB couldn't make a play or avoid pressure, whose defensive play-caller couldn't even dress, whose star running back was out...Fakrissakes! The Rams would have beaten the Steelers that day! One win like that and we're all-of-a-sudden supposed to be worried about this sideshow? We have the best QB of all time having his best regular season (tied with 07 maybe), Branch is back, so many offensive weapons, a superior, veteran offensive line, an improved defense, solid special teams work the greatest head coach evah...

You guys have to be kidding me! Only in this town would the fans of this team be "worried". Football fans in Phoenix, St. Louis, Dallas, Philly...they're all dreaming they could be us!

If the Pats were to lose this game (barring major injury trouble), then a lot of changes will have to be made, there is no reason for the pats not to beat the broncos, there really is none.

I can't see that happening. I could see a shift in philosophy, but doubt you actually see any dramatic, immediate changes. Despite the PO losses, this team has just been way to successful to "blow it up". I'd expect another loss to bring with it more picks/cap being spent on the defense to try to improve that unit because with a loss we either prove this D just isn't good enough or that the offense can't be trusted to carry the team in the POs.

I can't see that happening. I could see a shift in philosophy, but doubt you actually see any dramatic, immediate changes. Despite the PO losses, this team has just been way to successful to "blow it up". I'd expect another loss to bring with it more picks/cap being spent on the defense to try to improve that unit because with a loss we either prove this D just isn't good enough or that the offense can't be trusted to carry the team in the POs.

Shift in philosophy, new coordinators, whatever it may be, a lost to the broncos definitely will show that new direction (new voice, new something) is needed.

NYG - Offense stalled as Brady's bad ankle and lack of running game made NE one dimensional

Bal - Loss of Welker and the rapid decline of Moss was killer. Plus Brady had broken ribs and broken finger

NYJ - Hernandez was banged up and a rookie. Gronk = rookie and Brady had no pass protection and for some reason Bill did not run the ball at all?

This year Hernandez, Gronk and Brady are all healthy. The OL is better and deeper with Solder. TEs are no longer rookies and RB depth is much much better. D is finally healthy with Spikes and Chung back in the lineup. Losing Carter sux but Anderson was very good vs. Tebow in Denver AND they lost their best OL (the guy they ran behind when they got all those Q1 yards) and they lost Decker. While Tebow hit his big plays his comp % was still under 50%.

WE MUST WIN.

Last edited:
Not going to be close at all.

The last time the Broncos played a big emotional game and had to travel to the east coast for a game on 6 days rest they were spanked by the Bills 40-14. Fairly relevent since that was just a few weeks ago.

Denver's pass defense is pretty bad. Their defensive passer rating is in the mid 90's. That's why the Bills blew them out and why the Pats put 41 on them in three quarters after a slow start.

The Pats have seen Tebow and will be more prepared defensively.

Honestly if this isn't a walk in the park I have to question if they can win the next week and if they lose see you in training camp because this forum will be such a mess I won't be able to handle it. I cannot see them losing unless they lose the turnover battle by two or more.

Hang on to the ball and play hard for sixty minutes and they more than cover.

Shift in philosophy, new coordinators, whatever it may be, a lost to the broncos definitely will show that new direction (new voice, new something) is needed.

No, it won't. They are meeting Kraft's goals, which aren't the same as yours. Even if they don't exceed them. A "lost" to the Broncos would mean they need to shift their focus to upgrading talent at some key positions, most likey largely on defense. Because the issue will be execution, not scheme, and the reason will likely be insufficient talent as opposed to lack of effort or coaching capacity. The good news is they are well equipped to upgrade. They have multiple top 100 draft picks, it's a deep FA market and they have ample cap room and cash flow to persue any talent they covet. And they will have a full off season to assimilate it, which was something they knew they would not have heading into 2011.

This discussion must stop. NE is NOT losing this Saturday. That would be so crippling!

I think that the Pats should win this game. I think that the additions of Spikes and Chung will make all the difference in the world. Spikes is a run stuffer and has seen Tebow play more than anyone alive. He should stuff the run and has the size to bring down Tebow. Chung should provide runs support.

I think the second time around, will give the Pats defense an advantage. If I were the DC, I would leave McCourtey as the deep saftey, use Chung, Arrington, and Moore at the line in more of a bump and run man, with the one deep safety over the top. Go back to the 3-4 with Vince blowing up their undersized center, they will have to commit a guard to help the center which should make it an easy read for Spikes and Mayo as to where the ball is giong.

I predict a huge dose of the Gronk/Hernandez show on offense. Brady is pissed, and I don't think he will allow the Pats to lose another home playoff game.

I just read on another site a poster saying NE has one of the easiest roads to the SB in history, but its not our fault PIT choked.

Last edited:
THEY CAN'T START SLOW AGAIN

Need to score first unlike last game...

but i still think they win by 13+

My buddy thinks they win by 27+ :bricks:

This discussion must stop. NE is NOT losing this Saturday. That would be so crippling!

This. Guys this team is going to fight so hard tomorrow night...if they won their last 3 playoff openers...i may be worried...but since they know what losing is like in the playoffs...well the veterans that were here the past 3 years...Brady especailly won't let it happen...even with it cold and windy..i see a huge game from him..little to no mistakes besides a sack or two

I think that the Pats should win this game. I think that the additions of Spikes and Chung will make all the difference in the world. Spikes is a run stuffer and has seen Tebow play more than anyone alive. He should stuff the run and has the size to bring down Tebow. Chung should provide runs support.

I think the second time around, will give the Pats defense an advantage. If I were the DC, I would leave McCourtey as the deep saftey, use Chung, Arrington, and Moore at the line in more of a bump and run man, with the one deep safety over the top. Go back to the 3-4 with Vince blowing up their undersized center, they will have to commit a guard to help the center which should make it an easy read for Spikes and Mayo as to where the ball is giong.

I predict a huge dose of the Gronk/Hernandez show on offense. Brady is pissed, and I don't think he will allow the Pats to lose another home playoff game.
And when they put extras on the TE's, Welker and even Branch (who didn't play last time in Denv) will be sprung. I look for big YAC's as the Denver D gets spread apart. Too much to handle.

You're right. The D gets beefed up and Wilfork has his way in the middle (or maybe draws extra blockers to expose Timmy). I smell Timmy Turnovers.

This. Guys this team is going to fight so hard tomorrow night...if they won their last 3 playoff openers...i may be worried...but since they know what losing is like in the playoffs...well the veterans that were here the past 3 years...Brady especailly won't let it happen...even with it cold and windy..i see a huge game from him..little to no mistakes besides a sack or two

Best not be too windy!! The wind will also hurt Tebow's long passes but their running game is better than ours. UGH! Although will the wind affect Brady's short precision game? Better not!

broncos get pummeled

I think the pats show up to play from the outset and the broncos execution will be a mess ..... 20 degrees by gametime, and the broncos biggest weapon, their kicking game has to deal with the same gravity that the rest of the NFL has to deal with.

the differential will be in the 30's....an FU kind of game

Pure nonsense. Yeah, let's overhaul the philosophies and schemes that have landed the top seed two years running. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents