PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things that would need to be believed in order for a ball tampering scheme to have taken place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there's no evidence. This whole thing is ridiculous. The texts are suspicious though, and the weight loss deflator nickname explanation was absurd.

You can believe the explanation was absurd, but that doesn't mean the explanation was impossible. It would have been impossible to believe if it came out that McNally weighed 160lbs and was considered to be in good shape.

Also, if the word "deflate" can never be associated with weight loss and can only be associated with removing air from an inflated objected, how do any of these make sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8cm3zBbok&list=LLtnTEVeqx8OetcolyawJuMA&index=2

https://www.facebook.com/DeflateTheMate

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/nadia-gs-*****in-kitchen/100/deflate-your-mate.html

You can believe the explanation was absurd, but that doesn't mean the explanation was impossible. It would have been impossible to believe if it came out that McNally weighed 160lbs and was considered to be in good shape.

Also, if the word "deflate" can never be associated with weight loss and can only be associated with removing air from an inflated objected, how do any of these make sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8cm3zBbok&list=LLtnTEVeqx8OetcolyawJuMA&index=2

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/nadia-gs-*****in-kitchen/100/deflate-your-mate.html
Of course it's possible, but I'm not naive enough to think the guy implicated in a ball deflation scheme just happened to use that word to describe weight loss. It's insane, and unfortunately it could very well cost Brady 4 games. The text messages look bad to any unbiased observer. I refuse to suspend disbelief in order to buy into McNally's complete innocence.

Well I think the NFL knows that nothing happened that night. In other games, sure, it's very possible. The texts, Brady's strange "I don't think I'm a cheater" response, the complaints about previous PSIs. They indicate to me that the officials weren't doing their jobs properly so Brady had his boys do it themselves. If you break a rule to make sure another rule isn't broken, are you cheating? Not really, but could Brady have come completely clean and risked missing the SB over air? Hell no. That night, McNally probably tested 3 balls in the bathroom and they were right around 12.5. He put them back in the bag and went to the field.

Dude, I think you failed your screen name.

Occam's Razor FTW!

.. Brady's strange "I don't think I'm a cheater" response...

Brady should have asked for clarification from the questioner. It was an open ended question. It's similar question as, "Are you a liar?" You may personally believe that you're not a liar but others may not. Really there's not a sufficient answer that would ever satisfy everyone.

Also, is the question, the singular you or the plural you (as a team)? English doesn't do well explicitly stating which you is being referred to in the structure. It was a baited question looking for a response like this.

Personally, I think the PC was a terrible idea. Kraft would have been better to come out and state, the NFL office is investigating, any and all questions must be directed to them. I have instructed all employees to cooperate fully and no one in the organization will have any further comments at this time during the ongoing investigation. Basically anything Bill or any player might say would be used against them.

OP: You're missing that the Colts balls were deflated somehow too and the Colts tampered with a Patriots ball without being punished.

why would we need to be explaining something that didn't happen?

it didn't happen.

nothing happened.

I couldn't possibly care less about a bunch of dorito dink texts except for the fact that they're hilarious

ps

nothing happened

Of course it's possible, but I'm not naive enough to think the guy implicated in a ball deflation scheme just happened to use that word to describe weight loss. It's insane, and unfortunately it could very well cost Brady 4 games. The text messages look bad to any unbiased observer. I refuse to suspend disbelief in order to buy into McNally's complete innocence.
I guess I would ask if you've used the word deflate in any text in the past year? You may say only in reference to this case, only joking about it. So if you were accused today of deflating balls there's likely more evidence on your phone of the term deflate than on McNally's. Yet the term only appears twice by a man who deflated things as part of his job, and a man who admits one of his responsibilities was to get the refs to deflate balls 12.5 if the ref overinflated them. Which had happened.

I've used the term repeatedly in reference to ego's, testicles, court cases, etc since it entered my vernacular months ago. So I would submit that if the word deflate is a term you've used without cheating in football it's unreasonable to say McNally couldn't use it the same way since it entered his vernacular through his job. It's just as likely for McNally to use it for other than cheating as it is for us all to use it for other than cheating or even other than football.

Now if we can establish its possible to use the term in many ways then we look at the texts to see if it was ever used for other than football deflation by McNally. The term was used twice. Once during a Packers game when McNally was not at the game. "Deflate and give somebody that jkt" was said while Jastremski held a jacket on TV.

What does that mean? I don't know except it has nothing to do with deflating footballs so we have established 1 of 2 times used it wasn't about cheating, or even about footballs. So like us, he does use the term outside of its dictionary definition.

The second time the term was used it was in the off season so again it couldn't have related to cheating in games. So I suppose it's open to interpretation, and that text essentially is the NFL's entire evidence. A text that said deflator in the off season. A word that we have proof was used by McNally for things that don't have to do with footballs.

But the NFL says that text must relate to footballs, even though the one other time he used the word it didn't. IMO Occam's razor points the term relating to something other than footballs in the second example, just as we know it had nothing to do with footballs in the first example.

I guess I would ask if you've used the word deflate in any text in the past year? You may say only in reference to this case, only joking about it. So if you were accused today of deflating balls there's likely more evidence on your phone of the term deflate than on McNally's. Yet the term only appears twice by a man who deflated things as part of his job, and a man who admits one of his responsibilities was to get the refs to deflate balls 12.5 if the ref overinflated them. Which had happened.

I've used the term repeatedly in reference to ego's, testicles, court cases, etc since it entered my vernacular months ago. So I would submit that if the word deflate is a term you've used without cheating in football it's unreasonable to say McNally couldn't use it the same way since it entered his vernacular through his job. It's just as likely for McNally to use it for other than cheating as it is for us all to use it for other than cheating or even other than football.

Now if we can establish its possible to use the term in many ways then we look at the texts to see if it was ever used for other than football deflation by McNally. The term was used twice. Once during a Packers game when McNally was not at the game. "Deflate and give somebody that jkt" was said while Jastremski held a jacket on TV.

What does that mean? I don't know except it has nothing to do with deflating footballs so we have established 1 of 2 times used it wasn't about cheating, or even about footballs. So like us, he does use the term outside of its dictionary definition.

The second time the term was used it was in the off season so again it couldn't have related to cheating in games. So I suppose it's open to interpretation, and that text essentially is the NFL's entire evidence. A text that said deflator in the off season. A word that we have proof was used by McNally for things that don't have to do with footballs.

But the NFL says that text must relate to footballs, even though the one other time he used the word it didn't. IMO Occam's razor points the term relating to something other than footballs in the second example, just as we know it had nothing to do with footballs in the first example.
To take away a first round pick and suspend the QB 4 games with this as the only evidence is absurd, no doubt. Since the investigation was into the AFCCG, it's irrelevant. Their sting didn't work, and whether or not it would've worked in the Lions game or the Dolphins game doesn't matter. They wanted to catch the Pats and they compiled a mountain of pseudoscience and assumptions to reach the desired end.

People jump on the "deflater" nickname as proof. What if it was about letting air out of the footballs? Nothing in that statement says it means "letting air out of the footballs AFTER they have been inspected by the refs". It could be Brady was given footballs and always thought they needed air let out during the preparation process. Who knows? It's just as likely.

Geez! It's a good thing the guy's nickname wasn't "the killer"!

In regards to free memorabilia, jerseys, sneakers, etc..

ALMOST EVERY TRAINER, BALL BOY, LOCKER ROOM ATTENDANT, PART TIME EMPLOYEE, ETC. GETS FREE STUFF LIKE THIS IN ALL PROFESSIONAL SPORT LEAGUES.

A few more things you'd need to believe:

Tom Brady wanted his footballs set to exactly 12.5 psi, when he intended to simply let random amounts of air out of them later.

Tom Brady needed a "crew" to deflate footballs, because, you know, this is basically like pulling off a bank heist.

Yes, but McNally could've taken 8 PSI out of the balls and it wouldn't make Brady guilty. Still should've been an emphatic "no"

He had no idea what was going on at the moment. He stood at the podium with the fraudulently reported 2 psi whirling around in his head and said , "I don't thinks so". What is wrong with that? I think that points more to being honest than an emphatic no would have.

You would not have been satisfied even if had given an "emphatic no". Because you are in the Felger camp that "Deflator", and bathroom trip equal cheating. Which, by the way, is the mantra that was developed from believing the 2 psi tweet.

People jump on the "deflater" nickname as proof. What if it was about letting air out of the footballs? Nothing in that statement says it means "letting air out of the footballs AFTER they have been inspected by the refs". It could be Brady was given footballs and always thought they needed air let out during the preparation process. Who knows? It's just as likely.

Geez! It's a good thing the guy's nickname wasn't "the killer"!
McNally has no role in the preparation of footballs. If JJ was called "the deflator", that'd make sense.
He had no idea what was going on at the moment. He stood at the podium with the fraudulently reported 2 psi whirling around in his head and said , "I don't thinks so". What is wrong with that? I think that points more to being honest than an emphatic no would have.

You would not have been satisfied even if had given an "emphatic no". Because you are in the Felger camp that "Deflator", and bathroom trip equal cheating. Which, by the way, is the mantra that was developed from believing the 2 psi tweet.
if someone asked if I was a murderer, I would say no. If they found a body buried in my basement and asked if I was a murderer, I would still say no. The idea that he didn't know if he was a "cheater" or not because of the PSI data is ridiculous. For the record, I don't think Brady is a cheater and I don't think a scheme to bring balls into the legal range is cheating. Didn't I write that in my original post?

McNally has no role in the preparation of footballs. If JJ was called "the deflator", that'd make sense.

if someone asked if I was a murderer, I would say no. If they found a body buried in my basement and asked if I was a murderer, I would still say no. The idea that he didn't know if he was a "cheater" or not because of the PSI data is ridiculous. For the record, I don't think Brady is a cheater and I don't think a scheme to bring balls into the legal range is cheating. Didn't I write that in my original post?

??? You and Felger , geez.. Are you looking at the interview or just the one answer? One text? a bathroom trip?

Q: This has raised a lot of uncomfortable conversations for people around this country who view you as their idol. The question they're asking themselves is, ‘What's up with our hero?' Can you answer right now, is Tom Brady a cheater?

TB: I don't believe so. I feel like I've always played within the rules. I would never do anything to break the rules. I believe in fair play and I respect the league and everything they're doing to try to create a very competitive playing field for all the NFL teams. It's a very competitive league. Every team is trying to do the best they can to win every week. I believe in fair play and I'll always believe in that for as long as I'm playing.

To put it in context for you. I don't know how the balls became underinflated by 2 psi. If the system we are using caused this then we will have to change it. IOW, I have to check to see what is going on before ......

He wasn't saying I don't think I am a cheater. He was saying he doesn't know that if the system they use to prepare the footballs caused this issue.

This is narrow minded as well.

If you were in charge of a routine maintenance process which involved four or five other guys and one of those guys ended up dead while performing the process you had established.....are you guilty of manslaughter?

Brady's use of the words "I don't think" are being way overanalyzed, but just to play along: isn't it possible that Brady thought he might be partially responsible since at the time he thought that the pregame ball preparation may be why the balls were underinflated since it could have caused an artificially high psi reading? We know that's not true now, but at the time Belichick cited that as a possibility and Brady talked about the preparation quite a bit at that press conference.

Brady's use of the words "I don't think" are being way overanalyzed, but just to play along: isn't it possible that Brady thought he might be partially responsible since at the time he thought that the pregame ball preparation may be why the balls were underinflated since it could have caused an artificially high psi reading? We know that's not true now, but at the time Belichick cited that as a possibility and Brady talked about the preparation quite a bit at that press conference.

Here are the transcripts to that interview. That is exactly what Tom was saying.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2015/01/22/patriots-quotes-122-bill-belichick-tom-brady-and-more

Of course there's no evidence. This whole thing is ridiculous. The texts are suspicious though, and the weight loss deflator nickname explanation was absurd.

Here's a YouTube link where NFL uses the term deflate for weight loss. hmmm not so absurd anymore.

What I've said is completely plausible. I don't listen to sports radio so I'm not sure where or how I agree with Felger. I don't trust McNally but I know he didn't deflate balls for the AFCCG. I don't think Brady or the Pats ever "cheated". We'll just have to disagree and hope for the end of this ridiculous ordeal. I much prefer to talk about actual football, but I wanted to give my thoughts on this whole thing.

If you play a sport in which referees call frequent fouls, then to succeed you must push the limit of what they do or don't call. So in some sense you're a cheater, except it doesn't feel like cheating to you since everybody does it.

Any football player who says "I don't think I'm a cheater" should be viewed in that light. Similarly every basketball player, every hockey player, every soccer player ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3