PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things Brady should say in his first/next PSIgate press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone. For my next act, I am going to deflate the value of the NFL* business by 200 million dollars.

Thank you for attending as my lawyers told me that's all I can get into right now.

That would be a great way to get people to think:

1. He's guilty.
2. It's probably correct that he got off on a technicality.
We'll have to disagree on that.

There's really nothing Brady can say to the haters in the media and public that is going to change their minds. He denied his guilt at a press conference right after "the event" back in January and the media has been parsing every syllable to prove his guilt since then. The longer he stands in front of these idiots and the more he says, the more they're going to twist and misconstrue. He's a professional Quarterback, not a professional politician. He gets no benefit whatsoever from engaging with the media on the topic.

If I were advising him, I'd advise him to discuss this in public with no one in the foreseeable future. For now, he should just issue a clear and unambiguous statement and then go full Belichick and say he'll only discuss with the media what is related to what happens on the field or in open practices. Maybe, in a year or so, he might sit down with a "real" journalist for a one-on-one interview.

TB12 : "Goddell, Kensil, NFL and the Colts schemed to deflate the legacy of me and my team"

lol

I don't think he should engage with the press on this at all. There's nothing in it for him to do so. I mean, like it really helped him last time, didn't it? :rolleyes:

When the Court issues its ruling, I think he should just release a statement through Kessler, Yee and his other advisers.

If the Court finds in his favor, he should thank the Court and Judge Berman by name. Say something about how he was confident all along that he would be vindicated. Perhaps express concern that no other player have to go through what he went through. Thank his family, friends, supporters and the fans who stood by him (especially the guy who was ten feet away from him and shouted "One more for the thumb, Tommy" as he got into his vehicle after his appearance in court on August 12th--just kidding...that was me. :)). Then he should refer all other questions to Kessler, the NFLPA, Yee or the Team and say he will have no other comment and then state some version of "I'm on to Pittsburgh."

If the Court finds against him, he should issue a statement in which he regrets the decision of the Court, but thanks the Court for its time and consideration. He should then say how disappointed he is and that he will be pursuing all available legal options and refer all other questions to Kessler, the NFLPA, Yee or the Team and conclude by thanking the fans and all those who supported him and say that he will have no other comment until the legal process is completed.
There would be times where what you propose would be sound advise,74. But I don't think so THIS time.

WHEN Berman vacates the suspension that will NOT be the end of it First of all Goodell will appeal the decision, which will take several months to play out. Second and and most importantly, even while Brady will be able to play, the NFL will CONTINUE to insist that they were doing the right thing. That the Patriots schemed to deflate the balls and Brady was behind that scheme. The league will contend that they are "disappointed" the the Judge didn't see the righteousness of theircase and they will continue to pursue all available options to make sure justice is done and the "shield" is protected.

The NFL's narrative will continue, even while Brady plays. So to that end, I would suggest a more aggressive heartfelt and honest approach After doing all the "thank you's" as you stated so well, Tom should loosen his tie and throw away the rest of his prepared statement and say some like the following:

"Truthfully guys, the last 7 month for me has been hell. I've been attacked in a well planned smear campaign of false "leaks"and unsubstantiated innuendo orchestrated by a rogue element in the league office.. My reputation has been gutted. My legacy has been tainted and I have been held up to ridicule.....AND FOR WHAT?! (pound the podium)

ANY of you who have bothered to read all the transcripts KNOW that nothing happened the night of the AFCCG other than a first class ass kicking. Do you guys know how FRUSTRATING it is to have to sit back and take all this crap without being able to respond" Do you know how helpless I felt when I thought, that the Mort report was true, and I was trying to figure out how the F that could happen? Then, when it finally came out that all of the numbers that Mort had been given were simply made up to make us look guilty, only to find out that the NFL office instructed the Pats and myself that we cannot make any public statements to defend ourselves from this scurrilous injustice. You know these attacks went on for months. You know because some of you were part of them.

Well this court result is just the start of my efforts to clear the air and reclaim my good name. I have been a fierce competitor all my life. In an a week I'm going to try and help my team to win a football game. ALL of my concentration will focus on the upcoming season, so these will be my final comments on this topic for the next several months.

HOWEVER, fortunately I have resources too. I have instructed the appropriate people to leave no stone upturned with the objective of clearing my good name, and that includes legal options. So while I am fully concentrating my mental energies on trying to help my team win football games, my people will be aggressively pursuing a defamation suit against the league offices and all other entities and individuals who participated in this unwarranted smear campaign. I want my good name back. And I want those draft picks the lague stole from us because I'm going to need those guys going forward (this probably isn't appropriate for Tom to say but I couldn't help myself ;) )

Thanks for your patience and for some of you, your support. I've waited a long time to get this off my chest. Now its all about Pittsburgh and me just "doing my job"

If Tom says that or something akin to it, not only will I be standing and cheering the news; it will have a dramatic impact on those who are attacking him and the Pat;'s Now, by just "threatening" a defamation suit will have the following results. The league office's narrative will have to change from attack to defense mode. The threat of having THEIR private communications part of the court record, or even worse being made public; will make the NFL TRULY want this to go away.

Any defamation suit will make public the facts of Kensil's unprecedented attempted sting the night of the AFCCG. It will force ESPN (who undoubtedly would be named in the suit) to explain why the Mort Report was kept on line months after it was debunked, as well as the reasoning and timing of many other stories over the last several months, including the appology to the Pats for an erroneous story that was aired just ONCE and at 1am And I can go on and on and on.

It will be the threat of a defamation suit and all the "discovery" that it entails that will FINALLY get some of the smarter owners to realize that the Goodell administration has truly become toxic and needs to go. BUT without a defamation suit or the threat of one, NOTHING will change except we'll have our QB back. And at this point, that will not be enough for me.

Last edited:
There would be times where what you propose would be sound advise,74. But I don't think so THIS time.

WHEN Berman vacates the suspension that will NOT be the end of it First of all Goodell will appeal the decision, which will take several months to play out. Second and and most importantly, even while Brady will be able to play, the NFL will CONTINUE to insist that they were doing the right thing. That the Patriots schemed to deflate the balls and Brady was behind that scheme. The league will contend that they are "disappointed" the the Judge didn't see the righteousness of theircase and they will continue to pursue all available options to make sure justice is done and the "shield" is protected.

The NFL's narrative will continue, even while Brady plays. So to that end, I would suggest a more aggressive heartfelt and honest approach After doing all the "thank you's" as you stated so well, Tom should loosen his tie and throw away the rest of his prepared statement and say some like the following:

"Truthfully guys, the last 7 month for me has been hell. I've been attacked in a well planned smear campaign of false "leaks"and unsubstantiated innuendo orchestrated by a rogue element in the league office.. My reputation has been gutted. My legacy has been tainted and I have been held up to ridicule.....AND FOR WHAT?! (pound the podium)

ANY of you who have bothered to read all the transcripts KNOW that nothing happened the night of the AFCCG other than a first class ass kicking. Do you guys know how FRUSTRATING it is to have to sit back and take all this crap without being able to respond" Do you know how helpless I felt when I thought, that the Mort report was true, and I was trying to figure out how the F that could happen? Then, when it finally came out that all of the numbers that Mort had been given were simply made up to make us look guilty, only to find out that the NFL office instructed the Pats and myself that we cannot make any public statements to defend ourselves from this scurrilous injustice. You know these attacks went on for months. You know because some of you were part of them.

Well this court result is just the start of my efforts to clear the air and reclaim my good name. I have been a fierce competitor all my life. In an a week I'm going to try and help my team to win a football game. ALL of my concentration will focus on the upcoming season, so these will be my final comments on this topic for the next several months.

HOWEVER, fortunately I have resources too. I have instructed the appropriate people to leave no stone upturned with the objective of clearing my good name, and that includes legal options. So while I am fully concentrating my mental energies on trying to help my team win football games, my people will be aggressively pursuing a defamation suit against the league offices and all other entities and individuals who participated in this unwarranted smear campaign. I want my good name back. And I want those draft picks the lague stole from us because I'm going to need those guys going forward (this probably isn't appropriate for Tom to say but I couldn't help myself ;) )

Thanks for your patience and for some of you, your support. I've waited a long time to get this off my chest. Now its all about Pittsburgh and me just "doing my job"

If Tom says that or something akin to it, not only will I be standing and cheering the news it will have a dramatic impact on those who are attacking him and the Pat;'s Now, by just "threatening" a defamation suit will have the following results. The league office's narrative will have to change from attack to defense mode. The threat of having THEIR private communications part of the court record, or even worse public will make the NFL TRULY want this to go away. Any defamation suit will make public the facts of Kensil's unprecedented attempted sting the night of the AFCCG
We're both part of the choir and, if Brady were to say those things in public, you and I would be singing right along with him.

But most of the media and the vast majority of the public would just hear it as more "blah blah blah he cheated...blah blah blah more excuses..." So, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this would be the time for him to make a statement like that.

However, that is exactly what i'd want him to say in the interview with a "real" journalist that I suggested at the end of my post, but only after the legal mess has been resolved.

We're both part of the choir and, if Brady were to say those things in public, you and I would be singing right along with him.

But most of the media and the vast majority of the public would just hear it as more "blah blah blah he cheated...blah blah blah more excuses..." So, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this would be the time for him to make a statement like that.

However, that is exactly what i'd want him to say in the interview with a "real" journalist that I suggested at the end of my post, but only after the legal mess has been resolved.
There's the problem, 74, this "legal mess" is NOT going to be resolved anytime soon, even with a positive result next week. I would love a 60 Minutes full hour show on this topic....someday. But it was the enforced silence imposed by the league in the months after the AFCCG that was key to getting us to this position. MORE silence by Brady will not only be ineffective, but harmful. It's well past time for Brady AND the Pats to become more aggressive in their own defense. Silence will only reinforce the misconceptions people have, and allow the NFL more time to reinforce their own narrative.

I guess this is the appropriate time to ask the expect question of you, "If now now.....when?'

He should simply say, "My only mistake in all this was not making sure I had a fall guy. Perhaps I should have attended the symposium that Troy Vincent put together for new players. Then I would have heard Cris Carter's great advice."

There's the problem, 74, this "legal mess" is NOT going to be resolved anytime soon, even with a positive result next week. I would love a 60 Minutes full hour show on this topic....someday. But it was the enforced silence imposed by the league in the months after the AFCCG that was key to getting us to this position. MORE silence by Brady will not only be ineffective, but harmful. It's well past time for Brady AND the Pats to become more aggressive in their own defense. Silence will only reinforce the misconceptions people have, and allow the NFL more time to reinforce their own narrative.

I guess this is the appropriate time to ask the expect question of you, "If now now.....when?'
We have the same objective, but disagree on how to achieve it.

I don't want Brady talking to the media about anything but what's happening on the field. It is a no win for him outside of New England and Patriots Nation to get into a give and take with the media over this mess. Any attempt at a statement by Brady would rapidly deteriorate into a debate with the media. That's not his expertise and it's not what he gets paid to do.

It was and remains up to the team to do the talking, but Bob Kraft flunked that test in 2007/08 and now again in 2015.

I just want Brady to continue to "do his job" and the Krafts, at last, to start "doing their jobs."

We have the same objective, but disagree on how to achieve it.

I don't want Brady talking to the media about anything but what's happening on the field. It is a no win for him outside of New England and Patriots Nation to get into a give and take with the media over this mess. Any attempt at a statement by Brady would rapidly deteriorate into a debate with the media. That's not his expertise and it's not what he gets paid to do.

It was and remains up to the team to do the talking, but Bob Kraft flunked that test in 2007/08 and now again in 2015.

I just want Brady to continue to "do his job" and the Krafts, at last, to start "doing their jobs."
I heartily support your eventual conclusions to this issue. I even agree that Brady would be silly to engage in any "debate" or back and forth with the media. That's why I included language in his statement that would forestall any response to the media at his "statement". As I put it, he would simply finish what he had to say, and walk off the stage with no further comment. If it ever comes up in another presser, he would just say, "I said what I had to say, and I stand by what I said. But as I said, I am totally focused on playing football and doing my best to help my team win games. Any further comment on this topic will have to wait until the end of the season.

OR "Thanks for asking but my response to any questions about my issues with the League offices will have to remain unanswered until the end of our season. This is going to be my response to any question about this topic, so if you want me to repeat it, so you can get it down now, I will. ha ha"

Brady should begin and end by calling for the resignation of Roger Goodell

I heartily support your eventual conclusions to this issue. I even agree that Brady would be silly to engage in any "debate" or back and forth with the media. That's why I included language in his statement that would forestall any response to the media at his "statement". As I put it, he would simply finish what he had to say, and walk off the stage with no further comment. If it ever comes up in another presser, he would just say, "I said what I had to say, and I stand by what I said. But as I said, I am totally focused on playing football and doing my best to help my team win games. Any further comment on this topic will have to wait until the end of the season.

OR "Thanks for asking but my response to any questions about my issues with the League offices will have to remain unanswered until the end of our season. This is going to be my response to any question about this topic, so if you want me to repeat it, so you can get it down now, I will. ha ha"

We're going to have to part ways on this, though we both desire the same outcome.

There is no way in which Brady could "make a statement" and "walk off the stage" without giving the media a chance to question him. It would just generate massively bad publicity for him to the extent that the story, outside of New England and Patriots Nation, would be that Brady had "arrogantly refused to answer our reporter's questions." The national hate media would juxtapose excerpts from Brady's statement with their "unanswered questions."

It just wouldn't work.

The only thing he should discuss with the media is what happens on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back