PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The tougher upcoming game - Houston or San Fran?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add poll to this thread....

even though their records are good, neither have been world beaters in the past few weeks. I honestly think we can take both of them.

Heck even 1-1 wouldn't be bad. Do think the Texans are a better team though. Jaguars display aside.

so long as Colin is starting, HOU is the tougher opponent easily

Agreed here. I'm not saying that Smith is so much better but before the QB switch SF has stablility and were heading towards another easy 1st round bye. Now the team is a big question mark IMO, they could still get the bye in spite of the QB situation but I would've been a bit more worried if they came in with Alex Smith and the same team that should have gone to the super bowl last year.

When you factor this into context, it might make the Fortyniners the more difficult game, especially on a short week with the Pats injury situation on the o-line factored into the equation. Not to mention that the Pats will have more time to game-plan for the Texans...

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I don't know which team I think is more likely to be a loss, because both teams have unanswered situations in play right now (Joseph for Houston, QB situation for SF), but I look at the SF game as one that'll be tougher on the Patriots.

Which game will be tougher?

As a general rule, but especially with two teams of this caliber, the answer is simple: the next game. Then, the one after that.

If you force me to choose, I'd say that Kaepernick is going to be harder to manage than Schaub...we always have issues with QB's who are as dangerous on the move as they are in the pocket, but this is definitely a toss-up.

Last edited:
so long as Colin is starting, HOU is the tougher opponent easily

im just hoping nothing happens in Miami to make SF go back to Alex

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it. The Pats have always had issues with QB's who are mobile and pose a threat outside the pocket, especially with a secondary that is challenged to cover receivers for three to five seconds, let alone when they have time to run loose and get separation. And, Kaepernick's going to get better every week.

Last edited:
I'm going to the Texans game and not to the SF game, so I hope Houston is easier. Of course after the Houston game I'll hope SF is easier.....

My gut says SF is the better team, but that may just be a result of Hou looking so bad in a few of their wins this year.

I think teams tend to play to how urgently they need the win. Houston doesn't need the game as much as the Pats do re., playoff seeding. The 49ers might need a win more than Houston by the time they come to Gillette.

The Texans O will be a great test for the Pats D to see how much they have improved, balanced running game and good passing game with a great WR and VG TE.

OTOH the Texans blitz more than any team in the league (>40%) TFB usually eats teams like that alive (see the W Phillips D in Dallas in 2007). So even with the injuries the O may thrive.

SF isn't very scary on O but their D will be the stiffest challenge the Pats face this year.

Houston is the tougher game this week. SF will be the tougher game next week.

One game at a time.

And after a short week, no less
2 in a row at home, and the 49ers travelling coast to coast probably negates the short week effect, although you could look at it the other way and say the short week negates the home field advantage.

I think these are very, very different opponents. I think our offense will torch the Texans, but they are built to give our D trouble.
The 9ers will struggle to put up a lot of points on us, but their D is the kind that does best against our type of O by being better able to get us into 3rd downs and eventually stall a drive.
Run defense will be a big key to winning both games.

if we are going to lose 1 more down the road..IMO it has to be to a NFC team due to conference records...so 49ers

Last edited:
I think these are very, very different opponents. I think our offense will torch the Texans, but they are built to give our D trouble.
The 9ers will struggle to put up a lot of points on us, but their D is the kind that does best against our type of O by being better able to get us into 3rd downs and eventually stall a drive.
Run defense will be a big key to winning both games.

This is kind of where I'm at. I think both games will be equally tough but in their own way. The Texans have a good D but if our offense has a normal day at the office (somewhere between the Rams game and the Dolphins game) I think we can put up points on them. This game will be tougher on our D and they key will be to contain their balanced rushing and passing attack that can be pretty explosive at times. Keeping our positive take away streak wouldn't hurt either.

The 9ers on the other hand aren't as explosive on offense and I think that if our D has a decent game we can limit their scoring. The real test in this game is going to be for our offense. If we can find a way to move the ball on them and get an early lead, I think their offense will have a hard time catching up as long as we protect the ball and don't let them score points off of turn overs or on special teams.

Both of these games will be very tough, but very winnable and a hell of a lot of fun to watch. I can't wait!! :D

I'm going to the Texans game and not to the SF game, so I hope Houston is easier. Of course after the Houston game I'll hope SF is easier.....

My gut says SF is the better team, but that may just be a result of Hou looking so bad in a few of their wins this year.

You can bet that Houston has had this game circled since April; yes, of course,they want to play in the actual Super Bowl, but, until they get there, I think we can assume that this is their "Super Bowl."

San Francisco already played and lost their "Super Bowl" this year when they had vengeance on their mind and instead got blown out at home and embarrassed by the Giants in October.

Now, we are catching the 'niners at the start of what they no doubt see as the two game stretch that will define their season (@NE, @SEA), so we're going to get their best shot and Kaepernick will have another week under his belt at QB.

Heh, heh. If I were a betting man, I'd be awfully tempted by the ten point spread SF vs. MIA this Sunday. They just lost a very tough game to a 4-6-1 team that they doubtless consider "inferior" to themselves, they are looking ahead to a Sunday Night game in Foxboro and they have at least "confusion" around their QB. There is more than a small chance that they come out flat and get surprised by a team that we know from last Sunday is better than its record.

Last edited:
2 in a row at home, and the 49ers travelling coast to coast probably negates the short week effect, although you could look at it the other way and say the short week negates the home field advantage.

I think it's a wash. The Pats have a six day week. The 'niners are flying "the wrong way" and lose the better part of a full day to travel. Once the hitting starts, neither will matter.

However, if the weather gods could dial up what Brewski used to call "Patriots' weather" and send us a nice cold, December night in Foxboro with wind chills in the teens, now, that would be another thing entirely; Kaepernick grew up in a warm climate and played most of his College games in good weather venues. :rocker: I doubt he's ever played in any environment vaguely like what Foxboro can serve up in December, at night.

Last edited:
I'd say Houston because they have a good defense and offense.

juny said:
Houston is the tougher game, because SF couldn't beat STL in two tries

doesn't mean much...jets beat the rams and look at what sf did to them. division games are usually tougher

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Nice to have both games home. Both teams are tough but so are we.Right now Pats are planning for Texans. After that game will plan for Niners. Mind set should still be "One Game At'a Time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back