PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The tougher upcoming game - Houston or San Fran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

English Patriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Also what is the MAIN key to beating the Texans next Monday. For me if we get Lloyd in behind that secondary especially with no Gronk then we'll win this one.

Also what is the MAIN key to beating the Texans next Monday. For me if we get Lloyd in behind that secondary especially with no Gronk then we'll win this one.
Texans will be tougher. THey're more stable, it's in their joint, and we're banged up pretty good. We need to run the ball and keep the clock running. Brady needs to be on the field. I agree with the need for more production from Lloyd, but I think Fells needs to be in for more snaps to spring Ahern.

On D- Pressure, pressure, pressure. Bring it all night long

Houston. And that was before Harbaugh decided to tinker with his offense and quarterbacks.

Main key is to figure out how to cover all their physical, 6'3 receivers and if not, hope we get them into a shoot out and outgun them in that race by developing a better game plan.

so long as Colin is starting, HOU is the tougher opponent easily

im just hoping nothing happens in Miami to make SF go back to Alex

Texans are scarier when healthy, but are pretty beat up. Johnathan Joseph is the big injury. He's their #1 corner, but has missed a few games. The Texans are also going to be without their #3 and #4, so if Joseph plays, then they'll play with their #1, #2, and #5 CBs. If Joseph is out, then they'll play with their #2 and #5 CBs starting. This is in addition to starting OLB Brooks Reed and ILB Bradie James.

So I'll say the Texans are harder if Joseph plays, 49ers are harder if Joseph doesn't play.

Houston is a more balanced team. SF will have to travel two straight weeks to the East Coast and that may be taxing for them.

Houston is a more balanced team. SF will have to travel two straight weeks to the East Coast and that may be taxing for them.

they have Miami at home so I don't think they have to come east twice......

Houston is the tougher game, because SF couldn't beat STL in two tries

Circled these games weeks ago. Right now I want to say San Fran, but neither of this teams have teams have looked great lately. But let's face it, they both have strong running games and great defenses... they are basically the Ravens who are playing like the old Ravens but we have no playbook on them. Huge tests for this team given the way they match up.

San Francisco

They hit harder and they're the second game of the back-to-back.

With our O-line in the shape it's in, the thought of Patrick Willis looking at Brady and seeing a target on his back scares me more than anything the Texans' D currently brings to the table, including JJ Watt.

Then again, Jim Harbaugh is an idiot, so I would call it a draw. :)

Niners are more physical on defense, but they are pretty unbalanced overall. The Pats’ coaching staff should take a good look at the two STL games and Vikings games. I say it’s manageable, especially if there is a chance to have Gronk back (even for nothing more as a decoy).

Texans on the other hand, are more balanced. Their pass rush is pretty bad ***, and couple that with our banged up o-line, this may turn into a very long night for Brady.

If Brady can stay upright and find open receivers (which will be just as though as in the Miami game, if not tougher), we can eek it out.

They will both be tough games for sure but I am going to say Houston by a slim margin based on the fact that they seemingly pose a bigger threat offensively than the Fortyniners for our defense. Both Texans and 'niners defenses are really solid, perhaps the latter is the better overall unit, but they are also the healthier unit.

Last edited:
San Francisco

They hit harder and they're the second game of the back-to-back.

When you factor this into context, it might make the Fortyniners the more difficult game, especially on a short week with the Pats injury situation on the o-line factored into the equation. Not to mention that the Pats will have more time to game-plan for the Texans...

With our O-line in the shape it's in, the thought of Patrick Willis looking at Brady and seeing a target on his back scares me more than anything the Texans' D currently brings to the table, including JJ Watt.

Then again, Jim Harbaugh is an idiot, so I would call it a draw. :)

Willis has a half a sack all year. Rushing the passer isn't really his role most of the time.

Now Aldon Smith on the other hand...

IDK< I don't think either are as tough as many are making them out to be. But if I have to choose, I will say the 49ers. The Pats will see them on a short week. Their defense has the potential to give Brady fits.

I think the Texans are too banged up right now. Their defense can be exploited and has been over the last 4-5 games. As long as they can neutralize Watt in some way, they should be able to score a lot of points vs. the Texans.

I don't think either game will be a cake walk, but right now the Pats are arguably better than either team and playing at home. I think they can win both games.

Houston. They have a tougher offense to defend. Travelling to the east coast for a non-division game is a tough trip for the 9ers as well. I think we can score on either team, but we'll have a tougher time stopping Houston from scoring. I think we can shut down SF's offense.

Picks for the game - from Bleacher Report:

Bleacher Report's Expert Consensus Week 14 NFL Picks | Bleacher Report

B/R Consensus: Patriots (Unanimous)

Vegas: Patriots (-4.5)

Schottey: Patriots

How do you scout the Patriots? Seriously? Want to stop their trademark vertical passing attack? Great, they'll hit you underneath with Wes Welker and Julian Edelman. Able to stop their receivers? Meet the best tight end tandem in football? Stop the pass altogether? Stevan Ridley would like to have a word with you.

When the Pats are on, they're not going to be stopped, even by a great Texans defense.

Miller: Patriots

This is a potential AFC Championship Game preview, and a game in which the Patriots will quiet any doubters who think they aren't the best team in the league. Tom Brady should enjoy an easy day at the office against the Houston secondary, as long as he avoids J.J. Watt.

Nagler: Patriots

This was my preseason pick for the AFC Championship Game and I haven't seen much to make me change my mind. The Patriots win this matchup in New England, mostly because Tom Brady will pick apart the Texans secondary. A rematch in Houston, however, might be another story.

Dunlevy: Patriots

The Texans have the best record in football, but New England is the scariest team. With the problems Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph has had with his hamstring, even if he plays, it may not be for long on a cold New England night. Without him at 100 percent, I don't think they can stop Tom Brady

Frenz: Patriots
The Patriots were too close for comfort in their win over the Dolphins, but they usually get up for prime-time showdowns like this one. Expect Tom Brady to spend a lot of time studying what Aaron Rodgers did to the Texans defense a few weeks back in Houston's lone loss this season. Plus, New England has done its best work against the run, which is the basis for much of Houston's offensive success.

Michael Schottey is the NFL National Lead Writer for Bleacher Report and a member of the Pro Football Writers of America. Find more of his stuff at "The Go Route."

Follow @Schottey

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye