PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tight End Situation

We can speculate and make every suggestion possible, but in reality, we won't know anything until this process shakes out and until Training Camp and Preseason start.

While it doesn't look good for Hernandez based on numerous (albeit conflicting) reports, he is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That is our level of burden of proof in a criminal case. Hernandez could very well avoid any jail time, and could perhaps avoid suspension. Who really knows at this point? He could also very well be sent to prison, suspended, released/traded... all options are on the table.

In Training Camp, things start to get a little more live. Who is taking reps over who starts to actually mean something, as depth charts are beginning to officially form. It is from here through preseason that all eyes will be on Dobson and Boyce, as well as Amendola. If those 3 can pick up the slack and show an understanding of the offense and a rapport with Brady, then we will all feel much better about Michael Jenkins, Julian Edelman, and whoever else may be in serious competition for a roster spot.

Training Camp will also be where the Tight End battle plays out. Who is healthy/available? If Hernandez makes it this far, is he really in the clear? Will the Krafts trust him? surely his presence would make us all feel better from a football perspective. Otherwise, the team will be looking for a capable stopgap for Gronkowski, and a possible "replacement" for Hernandez.

As Training Camp and Preseason move along, I can easily see the Patriots potentially adding another veteran WR/TE to the groups, either through trade or after camp cuts. Specifically, I'll be looking at the Eagles and Buccaneers rosters, as the Patriots will have joint practices with both teams this offseason.

As I've stated before, barring a veteran addition, and assuming Hernandez will be unavailable for the sake of discussion, the Patriots will likely enter 2013 with a WR core of:
- Danny Amendola
- Josh Boyce
- Aaron Dobson
- Julian Edelman
- Michael Jenkins
- Matthew Slater

... And a TE core of:
- Jake Ballard
- Daniel Fells
- Michael Hoomanawanui
- Zach Sudfeld (Just a name, right now. Team would likely want 2 "Move" TEs)

While these skill positions are easily as barren as they were in 2006, the offense still possess a top-5 Offensive Line, a young, dynamic group of Running Backs, and I think that Tom Brady guy is a capable Quarterback, no?

It will definitely be a battle early on until Gronkowski returns. This defense has to step up for the team, and thankfully, it seems like the pieces are in place for something that is competitive.

How good does BB look at claiming Ballard from the Giants. Makes you wonder if he saw potential problems with Hernandez. We all looked at the pot smoking incidents in college and probably thought big deal. Maybe there were other indications that the pot was nothing compared to behavioral issues. I mean seriously, signs a huge contract that sets him for life, and he is "somehow" involved in a murder. Wonder if there is a behavioral clause in his contract. Me thinks his days with N.E. are numbered.

Given the $40m contract extension that he was given after only 2 seasons I am going to go with no.

Given the $40m contract extension that he was given after only 2 seasons I am going to go with no.

Yea, I guess you are right. Still, if Ballard is really good it makes BB look damn smart.

Didn't Ballard have some key plays against us in one of the SB's against the giant's?

Ballard is big and strong, if not particularly fast, but he could certainly compete. Guys coming off ACL surgery, however, can take a season to return to form. They have been bringing him along slowly, so he may take some time to learn the system and get on top of his game.

we will see what TEs get cut this summer and i am sure we will work some out.

Didn't Ballard have some key plays against us in one of the SB's against the giant's?

It was the regular season game in 2011. He tore is ACL early in the SB.

He's a very good blocking TE with underrated catching ability. He's a not-too-poor version of Gronk.

I'm not sure about tight end but Kraft and Belichick certainly had a case of tightasses this week ... both walking with a short stride.

I would definitely agree with you.

FWIW--Ian Rapoport said that there was no clause in the new deal that protected them in this kind of situation. I think we all expect that to change in the NFL regarding big deals (or many of them) moving forward.

Yea, I guess you are right. Still, if Ballard is really good it makes BB look damn smart.

We will still need a "move" TE.

All of Gronk, Ballard, and Sudfeld are in line guys.

We're not down one TE. We're not down one WR. We're down one Aaron - and hey look, we just drafted one!

All that to say, yes, we have choices of JAGs at TEs, but think of the number of receptions we're replacing. Amendola probably gets 100 catches or close to it. Dobson gets a lot of attention and hopes, assuming he doesn't turn into much at training camp. Oh yeah, and when he gets open and you throw him the ball? He actually catches it.

What we patch together at the TE position will be key, and it'll be a wide-open competition, especially to start the season (depending on Gronk's comeback timeline.)

One thing that could come out of this is that contrary to years where you couldn't get a young receiver on the field, now we've got one that gets every chance in the world -- and thank God this year's big prospect is from Marshall and not Florida :)

No we don't, we didn't have one back in 2003 or 2004. Ben Watson doesn't count because he was injured after week 1 in 2004. We have enough talent, brains and ability at WR and RB that all we need is for Jake Ballard to play like we know he can and like the Giants knew he can (that's why they were pissed when we signed him) and then the rest is history.

Sorry, quantum uncertainty 180 - assuming we're down one Aaron. Still no arrest, fellas.

Sorry, quantum uncertainty 180 - assuming we're down one Aaron. Still no arrest, fellas.

Based strictly on assumptions, it appears he may have interfered in a murder investigation. If this proves correct, what was his role? Right now, I don't think the percentages are greater then 50% that he is wearing a Pats uniform in the future. That is pretty vague, but rather be vague then post a rant.

No we don't, we didn't have one back in 2003 or 2004. Ben Watson doesn't count because he was injured after week 1 in 2004. We have enough talent, brains and ability at WR and RB that all we need is for Jake Ballard to play like we know he can and like the Giants knew he can (that's why they were pissed when we signed him) and then the rest is history.

2003 and 2004 were 10 and 9 years ago, respectively. I think the game's a little different now.

Given that "in line" TE Gronk set the record for most receiving yards by a TE I think we can be all right without a "move" TE.

And having 2 guys on the field that are credible receiving threats as well as credible blockers could even be considered an upgrade.

2003 and 2004 were 10 and 9 years ago, respectively. I think the game's a little different now.

You don't have to have a good tightend and a move tightend to be successful these days offensively in the NFL. I don't know where that came from. Baltimore won the superbowl and they don't have that, neither did the Giants when they won the superbowl. That style of offense is a choice based off of personnel and strengths.

Sudfeld, however, might the only TE with a decent chance of making the 53 who resembles a Move TE.
Brandon Ford actually resembles Hernandez more than anybody else, but I would be shocked if he made
the 53, or even the PS.

But in 2003 & 2004 we had Branch, Givens, Troy Brown & Patten at WR, and Grahambo & Fauria at TE.
We currently have nothing even close to resembling that experience & talent at either WR or TE.

As hard as it may be for some to hear, it is no longer as simple as trotting out Brady with a bunch
of rookies, JAGs & china dolls and expect to reach the SB, never mind win it.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back