PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The substitutions prior to the INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that really does make that much more impressive. I know I'd getting greedy here, but did the source of that fact also include the total number of attempts that consists of?

When was the last time there was an interception from the 1 in the NFL? We know it only happened once this year :)

How far back do we need to go to find one?

I'd guess within the last 5 years, it's happened quite a few times. I don't have exact data, but Barnwell mentioned it in his wrap-up. Check out second paragraph below. He hated the call, but in a vacuum, presented good info:

Super Bowl Wrap-up: What Was Pete Carroll Thinking?
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/

You might argue that the logic there doesn’t include the danger of throwing the football and the downside of an interception, and that’s true, but there are negative possibilities in every play call. In fact, this season it was more dangerous to run the football from the 1-yard line than it was to throw it. Before Sunday, NFL teams had thrown the ball 108 times on the opposing team’s 1-yard line this season. Those passes had produced 66 touchdowns (a success rate of 61.1 percent, down to 59.5 percent when you throw in three sacks) and zero interceptions. The 223 running plays had generated 129 touchdowns (a 57.8 percent success rate) and two turnovers on fumbles.

Stretch that out to five years and the numbers make runs slightly superior; they scored 54.1 percent of the time and resulted in turnovers 1.5 percent of the time, while passes got the ball into the end zone 50.1 percent of the time and resulted in turnovers 1.9 percent of the time. In a vacuum, the decision between running and passing on the 1-yard line is hardly indefensible, because both the risk and the reward are roughly similar.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back