PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The SINGLE greatest play in Patriots history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Reche Caldwell's dropped touchdown in the AFCCG last year that many believe led to BB deciding to overhaul the WR Corps this year?

Perhaps the embarrassment of riches that is Moss, Welker, and Stallworth never happens if Reche hangs on and we (and not Indy) go on to win #4 vs. the Bears.

Are you talking about the palyoff game vs. the raiders or the snow plow game vs. the Dolphins back in the eighties?

yup my dad took me down after to meet Steve Grogan, and he patted my head and ask if I enjoyed the game.... I said YUP, I want to play when I grow up. He and my dad laughed and he said they might let girls play by then!!
coolest day of my life!:singing:

And Grogan spoke, and then Henderson went out on the field and cleared a section. What is he doing? He is swooping around and cleaning an area on the field. Shula is up screaming. The players have gone back on the field. And the British kicker approaches to ball and it's good. And the patriots win 3-0.

And in the greater scheme of things as 2008 unfolds, the significance of that play is ZERO as anything other than a fond memory.

Mo wasn't playing for us, officially. And for me, greatest has to be significant moreso than spectacular.

The most significant play was the snow bowl kick - without it there is no more kicking that season and perhaps no dynasty at all.

Moss and Brady have already connected this season for more spectacular plays than the one that broke the record, bea-utiful as that was.

The most significant drive would be one that started with 1:21 on the clock and no time outs remaining. It too ended with a significant kick.

I appreciate that there were games played before 2001, but comparatively speaking nothing all that significant happened in any of them. Memorable is another whole thing.

I'll go with great play and significant.

Troy brown picks up Brandon Mitchell field goal block, carries and laterals to Antwan Harris for the margin of victory.

Combined with his punt return for a TD we totally steal the playoff game with Pitt that made the Super Bowl possible.

You all make it seem that if Moss didn't make the catch, then the giants win the game. This pass was not a hail mary with no time on the clock. It was not a flutie to vataha miracle for all time. Moss has made many, many more greater catches, some of them this year. I will remember many of these as I long forget the forget breaker. And of course there have been made greater patriot catches, by Morgan, by Fryar by Brown, by Coates and by Glenn.

Not the greatest, but one that had me jumping around my living room for 10 minutes was the Kickoff fumble from Marcus Allen, which a bunch of Pat's players pounced on in the end zone to go up 27-20 in the LA Colliseum at the end of the 85 Divisional game. That play right there defined the personality of that team.

I think the Brady to Moss 65 yard TD defined this years team. Perfection at its best. What a way to fashion two all time records on one play. Incredible seems like such a small adjective to describe that play. I think it was the greatest play in Pat's regular season history.

Troy brown picks up Brandon Mitchell field goal block, carries and laterals to Antwan Harris for the margin of victory.

Combined with his punt return for a TD we totally steal the playoff game with Pitt that made the Super Bowl possible.

I was going to go for that, but that clutch catch in the SB basically won it.

I would go with AV 45 yd FG in the snow in the AFCCCG. That propelled the team into OT, and started the dynasty.

That's the one I thought of when I saw the thread title.

For one thing, it was perhaps the purest succeed-or-die play of them all.

As a 10 point swing in a 7 point game, that's clearly one of the major runners-up.

I was going to go for that, but that clutch catch in the SB basically won it.

How about Ty Law's Int. off the Vrabel hack of Warner?

Because the Rams were such heavy favorites you didn't dare think about it until then. I remember thinking "WTF, we can win this"

Last edited:
I'll list Adam Vinatieri's 46 yard kick against the Titans in the AFC Divisional game in Foxboro in '03. I was there and I could not believe that anyone could kick a ball 20 yards in that frigid windy mess, let alone a clutch FG from that distance. That is the single greatest kick in the history of the NFL and practically nobody talks about it anymore.

yup my dad took me down after to meet Steve Grogan, and he patted my head and ask if I enjoyed the game.... I said YUP, I want to play when I grow up. He and my dad laughed and he said they might let girls play by then!!
coolest day of my life!:singing:

I guess every fan has some magical moment associated with the team that makes it special. Great story NEGIRL! For me that moment is SB XXXVI (the AV game winning kick). I went to the game with my brother. He passed away the next year. It was the one and only SB he got to see the Pat's win and we got to share that moment together there in person. He never made it to see the Sox win either. Things were so different in NE sports back then. What a truly amazing run we're witnessing!

I remember going down to the field level after the game where Tedy Bruschi was bringing the trophy around for all the fans to touch.

To hear Vinatieri say that the 45 yard field goal in the Oakland game was the most difficult kick he's ever made (as well as something like "I couldn't have kicked that ball any better. That was as far as I could have kicked a ball under the circumstances")

But the 48 yarder to win the SB still makes my heart skip a beat every time I watch the DVD.

How about the Brown catch or the J R Redmond play that set up the kick in SB 36?

I know a lot of people like the SB 36 kick, but is was indoors -- the Snow Bowl kick was definitely greater.

How about the Brown catch or the J R Redmond play that set up the kick in SB 36?

I know a lot of people like the SB 36 kick, but is was indoors -- the Snow Bowl kick was definitely greater.

Greater? I'll give you harder. But in terms of significance does it really compare? A kick to win a franchise its first SB in which they were 14 point underdogs vs. a more difficult kick to win a second round playoff game?

The most significant play has to be the Snow Bowl kick. I would say the tuck play even but we didnt control that. If we lost that game, would Brady still be our starting QB now?!

For most spectular, Moss/Brady TD fo sho.

For me, the kick by AV in the snow was the greatest play in Patriots history.

That kick was THE defining moment when victory seemed not only possible, but likely. That kick was the catalyst that propelled the Patriots to their first SB win, and to the point they're at now.

Not only was that the greatest play in Patriots history, I feel it was the greatest field goal in NFL history. The conditions were horrible. The season was on the line. Adam had absolutely NO chance of making a kick in a blizzard from that distance. Yet he did. And with the greatest pressure a player could have on them to come up big.

We've all heard of the Immaculate Reception, and The Drive; that play should forever be known in NFL lore simply as "THE Kick".

I guess every fan has some magical moment associated with the team that makes it special. Great story NEGIRL! For me that moment is SB XXXVI (the AV game winning kick). I went to the game with my brother. He passed away the next year. It was the one and only SB he got to see the Pat's win and we got to share that moment together there in person. He never made it to see the Sox win either. Things were so different in NE sports back then. What a truly amazing run we're witnessing!

I remember going down to the field level after the game where Tedy Bruschi was bringing the trophy around for all the fans to touch.

COOLL!!!!!
must have been SUREAL
Bruschi ROCKS

I think Vinatieri's 45 yarder to send the Snow Bowl game into overtime was not only the greatest play in Patriots history but also the greatest play in football history. I will never forget that kick and the way it just disappeared into the night.

A dynasty was born that night.

The greatest off field play Kraft signing BILL BELICHICK
the greatest on field is a tie between the snow kick and the SB36 game Winner But in any case did any of us think this dynasty was possible growing up in New England being a Die hard fan all those losing years... your damn right I cried that night in Nawlins between the 9/11 events and the PATRIOTS WINNING the SB following it was only a fitting ending for any Patriot. Who would have thought we would have so many significant plays to look back over and reflect and GGGGuess what folks their is going to be more of em

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News