PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OFFICIAL Patriots vs. Dolphins POST-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
zero (0) points surrendered in the second half

Did Thompkins even have a catch today. I dont remember his name being called even once!

No catches, he was only targeted 1 time. Brady only completed 13 passes in the game for 116 yards.

Big bounce back win. Every game will be a struggle, great to be 6-2 right now. Few of my observations:

-Excellent situational awareness by BB at the end of the 3rd quarter to take that timeout. That's 3 huge points that might not have been there.

-Brady played a poor first half and wonderful 2nd half IMO, pretty much the guy we need him to be this year outside of 2 plays today. Not superman, but make the key plays. I think the only real gripe I have is protect the f'n ball better. That pick was horrible, on the fumble he's got to know his clock is ticking and he's got to get rid of the ball or swallow it. Got very lucky on that play that not only we didn't lose the ball but got 10 yards and a first out of it. Other than that his 2nd half was very good.

-Was it just me or was Nantz one biased f***** today? He just couldn't get over the penalties. I admit the Pats benefitted today call-wise but they didn't seem like near as bad calls as he felt the need to overly insist. The PI on Gronk was iffy but the DB did lower his shoulder into Gronk as the pass arrived and didn't seem to make a play on the ball. A ticky tack call yeah but I've seen alot worse called. And he wouldn't STFU about it, or the batted ball on the aforementioned play. That's a penalty 9 times out of 10, STFU and move on. He was still talking about it the next drive. Simms is okay, like I said I can see disagreeing on the Gronk PI but he at least admitted that you can't really conclude that the Dolphin player was trying to recover the ball on that fumble. Plus Nantz couldn't hold back his joy when the Dolphins were driving and getting scores and hardly a peep when the Pats made a play, I usually don't pick at these things but today I really thought it was obvious.

-Like I said in the RB thread, Blount shouldn't be getting important carries unless Ridley/Bolden/Vereen are physically unable to play. Though he did run well later, just seems to kill drives early on.

-Heckuva play by DMC and Cole on that pick, wow.

-Ghost was once again huge. Pretty solid all around on ST's.

-Run D rebounded very nicely in the 2nd half. I was extremely worried at what the Fins were able to do on the ground in the 1st half.

You called it correctly on Nantz. He really doesn't like the Pats.

Says the guy who was belittling the team throughout the game thread..
Never mind him. He's one of the biggest chicken littles on this board. He's the definition of a fair-weather fan.

21-3 Bengals!!!!!!

Football Gods to the Patriots:

"Yeah, you got screwed last week"

Worst week of the season......

for the game thread posters. Lots of blame to go around, there.

The defense bailed brady out big time.

Tom brady needs to step his game up.

Tom looked a lot better in the second half. He managed the drives well, did some hurry up. He delivered some nice throws to Dobson and the one to Gronk which got called back. Plenty of improvement needed but I liked what I saw later in the game.

The running game is the strength of the offense and I'm glad we really utilized it today. Ridley looked very good per usual. He's so important to our offense. Even Blount made some nice runs, no complaining about him today.

Aaron Dobson looks like he has a future here. He's risen above KT and he's doing pretty good if you could take away drops.

The defense really did a great job in the second half. It was awesome to see us throwing the kitchen sink at Tannehill. He got uncomfortable and made mistakes. Plenty of pressure really helped today. Also what an awesome interception by Cole (?)!

These are just my opinions, so here goes:

The GOOD:

1) Ridley, Dobson, and Ryan had monster games. Ridley once again showed he is the best running back on this team and one of the best in the league, IMHO. Dobson showed why the Patriots took him in round two. Hopefully he builds on the performance. Ryan has been making plays since the preseason. I have no idea why this guy doesn't play more (and Ridley too for that matter).

2) Vellano and C. Jones continue to play well. Look, it's unrealistic to expect them to play like Wilfork and Kelly, so there will be holes and they'll continue to yield yards on the ground, but they are getting penetration on some plays and they both wreak havoc on passing downs. C. Jones has 4.5 sacks in five games played this season. We found something in him.

3) Ninko and Chandler Jones continue to play well. They both played well again today. Jones was being doubled on almost every play, pass or run. And Ninko was being held on almost every play, pass or run. I'm happy to have both players.

The BAD:

1) Once again the O-Line was inconsistent at best. They continue to be a very tough group to watch. Brady has taken too many hits this season. People need to realize that a QB hit is just as bad as a sack. It's unnecessary punishment that you really don't want to see your franchise QB take over and over again.

2) The receivers (other than Dobson) just could not get open consistently. Even Dobson, who had a monster game, struggled at times. Brady had to hold the ball even when the O-Line game him time (rarely).

3) First half Tom Brady. He was locked in to Gronk and Gronk alone for a lot of the first half. It's something we saw last week against the Jets too. I love me some Gronk and of course he should be in on every play we can manage (once completely back in game shape), but I wonder sometimes if things wouldn't be better for the offense if he were not in on some of the plays (at least right now). Brady just doesn't spread it around as much when he's in. Maybe that's a result of the other guys not getting open enough. I don't know. Brady's tendency to lock in on Gronk just seems to hurt the team at times. We forget the pass where Brady threw into triple coverage and benefited on a very bad PI call that wasn't PI.

The UGLY:

1) Vollmer going down for what looks like a while, if not the season. It was just another key injury to one of our best players. How many of these will we have to endure. And that scream . . . it was blood-curdling.

2) The coaching staff's misuse of Ridley. I think this has been talked about enough, so I'll leave it at that.

3) The officiating (for both teams).

While it didn't count, wasn't it nice to see a Gronk spike!

Worst week of the season......

for the game thread posters. Lots of blame to go around, there.

Yeah, it was an abysmal performance today by a great many posters in the game thread. The first 50-70 pages or so of that thread were just pathetic.

I checked in (the board) around 1:20...read about 15 posts about how we suck, McD sucks, Brady sucks more than anyone (and is washed up) and we're just overall garbage...and then I logged off and watched our team make a great Patriot comeback. Life's about choices, I've been told ;)

Word of advice, Stay off the game threads

Yeah, it was an abysmal performance today by a great many posters in the game thread. The first 50-70 pages or so of that thread were just pathetic.
The chicken littles and fair-weather fans showed their true colors again. It's funny to me, after all these years that people have been watching football that they haven't learned to stop overreacting to things.

The team preaches 60 minutes of football, likewise, fans should heed that and have support for the team to end, win, lose, or draw. All this, "the team sucks," "Belichick is a terrible GM," "put in Mallett," "Brady is the worse QB in the league," was laughable to me. It's embarrassing to see some people who call themselves fans acting that way. Shame on you.

While it didn't count, wasn't it nice to see a Gronk spike!

Looked like he was shaking off the rust and warming up his shoulder for the spike, though he didn't get a lot of bounce on it...looking forward to seeing the real thing soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft