PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OFFICIAL Patriots vs. Dolphins POST-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff, I just put together an ignore list and moving forward I'm going to just take that approach, no point in trying to change posters.

Now that I'm on Ignore, I'm going to take some real shots making fun of Brady6 so guys, don't quote my posts.

Mentioned this in another thread, but since it seems more relevant here (and the text is still on my clipboard), here's Pereira on the Solder holding call that negated Gronk's TD:

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira 22h
I don't like the holding call in NE either quite frankly.

Why did I not like the holding? The tackle was in good position. Defender left his feet and to me that's what caused him to go to ground.

The holding penalty I was talking about is the one that called back the touchdown.

Bedard also saw it as a wrong call.

My fantasy team, which started both Gronk and TFB, hated that call as well.

Sorry, but the game plan for the 1st half was horrible and if you think that it wasn't Brady's fault on the interception then you are the issue, not everyone else.

Brady and McDaniels and THEIR game plan set the tone for this team to start the game. And it was Brady's throw to the wrong shoulder (inside instead of outside) that led to the interception.

Running with Blount to start with instead of Ridley was a clear mistake.

Yes, Solder and Mankins (the two who should be our best O-line) both screwed the pooch early on, but settled in.

Not sure how you can fault the receivers early on when they were 6 for 8 in the 1st half. Yes, for only 25 yards, but doesn't that fall onto McDaniels for not calling deeper routes or Brady for not looking for someone other than Gronkowski? 8 passing plays in the 1st half says more about the play-calling than the receive

Some fans aiways think the offensive coordinator is to blame for not scoring 50 ppg. McDaniels is doing a very good job after presiding over 3 or 4 Offenses that rank in the Top Ten in League History. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

The D-inspired come back was very impressive and I would hope to see more. Having said that, the first half was appalling and I thought we were screwed. I love the drama of these wins but...

Some fans aiways think the offensive coordinator is to blame for not scoring 50 ppg. McDaniels is doing a very good job after presiding over 3 or 4 Offenses that rank in the Top Ten in League History. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Not to mention that Ridley and Ryan were both benched in the first half and played the majority of their snaps in the second, which indicates that it was most likely due to their antics in the Jets game. If that's the case, and it's not just coincidence, then that decision came from Belichick and not McDaniels.

Some views on the game from south Florida:

Dolphins’ puzzling collapse to Patriots is a familiar sight - Armando Salguero - MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins haven’t scored 30 points all season and, true enough, coach Joe Philbin said before this game his team had to play its best game to beat the Patriots at a venue where they haven’t lost an October game since 2005.

But instead of delivering their best game, the Dolphins offered up this season’s worst quarter of football — a third quarter in which a 17-3 halftime lead evaporated into a 20-17 deficit.

The Patriots had been outscored 44-9 in the third quarter of their seven previous games. Then they outscored Miami, 17-0 in Sunday’s depressing third quarter.

And then fourth quarter follies followed.

Tannehill, who hadn’t previously thrown an interception, threw two. The defense, which previously limited the New England running game, gave up 61 rushing yards. And Sherman, who previously and finally seemed to discover Lamar Miller running the ball (16 times and 69 yards), called on Miller only two times despite still being in the game.

Really?

This is what the Dolphins had as response in a difficult moment?

“Second half I felt like we let up on them,” said linebacker Phillip Wheeler. “We got to look at the film to see why, but I felt we just let up. I just felt as team, not just a defense, as a team we let up. Not backed off purposely. We didn’t finish them. Like coach always says, he wants us to finish. We didn’t finish.”

That shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone familiar with the Dolphins.

This game, you see, had the exact same feel of the 2011 Dolphins trip to New England. That team led the Patriots 17-0 at halftime.

That team lost the game, 27-24.​

Hyde10: Ten thoughts on Dolphins loss to Patriots - Sun Sentinel

Play of the Game I: Patriots cornerback Logan Ryan came in free on a blitz from the left side, delivered a blindside hit on Ryan Tannehill and caused a fumble at the Miami 13-yard line that the Patriots' Rob Ninkovich recovered. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie did'n't block anyone on the play, as his man moved down the line, and left a spot for Ryan to rush. So after a talk with players, you'd think he'd be the one expected to pick up Ryan. Except he said he was fine with the play and his play overall. Philbin and Tannehill passed on explaining who was to blame. Bottom line is the Patriots tied up the game given that turnover, 17-17.​

Miami Dolphins succumb to New England Patriots’ second-half rally - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

Sure, the Dolphins still had more than 7 minutes to mount a rally, but instead allowed four more sacks, turned the ball over again (a Tannehill pick) and had a field goal blocked (Caleb Sturgis’ 39-yard attempt).

Any one of those plays usually spells doom in Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots (6-2) have won 25 of their past 28 games. Combined, they made for a dreadful finish to a game that once had such promise.

The Dolphins raced to a 14-0 first-half lead on Tannehill touchdown passes to Gibson (4 yards, before his injury) and Daniel Thomas (5 yards). Tannehill finished the game with 192 yards, those two touchdowns and two interceptions on 22 of 42 passing.

With new left tackle Bryant McKinnie in the starting lineup, the Dolphins’ offensive line mauled New England’s front seven early.

Miami rushed for a season-high 156 yards (including 89 on 18 carries by Lamar Miller) on the day, and didn’t allow a sack in the first half.

The defense was also playing great, holding Brady to just 25 passing yards through two quarters.

And up 14 points early in the second half, the Dolphins had a chance to stretch the lead even more. But Tannehill was sacked on third down, and Sturgis then hit the upright on his 46-yard field goal attempt.

With that, New England exploded, scoring the game’s final 24 points.

First, Brady directed a 5-play, 64-yard drive, capped by a 14-yard touchdown pass to Aaron Dobson, who got behind Nolan Carroll on a double move.

On the Dolphins’ next possession, Logan Ryan blindsided Tannehill, forcing a fumble that Rob Ninkovich recovered at the Miami 13. Brandon Bolden scored the gift touchdown, tying the game with a 2-yard jaunt.

Stephen Gostkowski later boomed through a 48-yard field goal, giving the Patriots their first lead of the day.

Finally, New England’s defense made one of the best plays you will ever see. Tannehill went deep down the right sideline to Mike Wallace, but Devin McCourty batted the ball up before he went out of bounds. Marquice Cole corralled it, and got two feet down.​

Fool's Gold - The Phinsider

This Dolphin team is a sham. After their 3 - 0 and start, they certainly appeared as though they were for real. Years of mistakes had been washed away, and Jeff Ireland and company had constructed a winner. The plan put in place a few years ago was coming to fruition. Ryan Tannehill was a great quarterback in the making and a franchise savior.

After Sunday's debacle, it appears an all too familiar situation has presented itself yet again; this regime has no idea what they are doing. Tannehill looks like Chad Henne 2.0. Wallace is a good player, but not the elite, game changing play-maker we were sold. Philbin and Sherman are middling offensive minds at BEST, and the defense is average but entirely too beatable.​

The Genius that is Bill Belicheck and How the Dolphins should Learn from the Pats | FinHeaven.com

One of the main reasons (besides having Tom Brady) why the Pats seem to always stay competitive is because Bill B has figured something out that I think the dolphins need to take notice of and try to implement. If you notice, the pats are very UNPREDICTABLE!!! It seems as though Bill B is always one step ahead of his opponents. You never know who their going to feature from week to week.

Case in point. Last season Steven Ridley was great for them. So this year with the lack of weapons at other positions you'd think that he'd be the feature guy right...... WRONG. The pats continuously switch things up at the RB position and teams have no idea how they're going to use their RB's. Another example, remember last year when all of a sudden for a 3-4 game stretch they stop throwing the ball to Wes Welker, clearly their best receiver. Why did they do that? My only guess is to NOT BE SO PREDICTABLE.

If you continue to do the same things over and over again in the NFL you will NOT be successful. Why? Because NFL coaches and players are very smart. And they study film to no end, so best believe that if you're showing any trends... Teams will pick up on them, take them away and force you to do something else. It seems to me that teams know that we want to throw short quick passes because our oline can't hold blocks long enough to throw deep. Makes it tough to complete those passes when teams know that that's what we're trying to do. I think we started to see the dolphins use some of this strategy against the bills by starting D. Thomas. My guess is that the bills planned and prepared for Miller to start, but we started Thomas instead and the Running Game seemed to get a boost. Maybe it's coincidence but i'm thinking it's not. We need to see more of this strategy. Feature different players week in and week out, throw the defense off. Once week run bubble screens and quick slants with Wallace, the next week have him run more deep routes. And the same with the other players. Gotta get creative.​

Some views on the game from south Florida:

Dolphins’ puzzling collapse to Patriots is a familiar sight - Armando Salguero - MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins haven’t scored 30 points all season and, true enough, coach Joe Philbin said before this game his team had to play its best game to beat the Patriots at a venue where they haven’t lost an October game since 2005.

But instead of delivering their best game, the Dolphins offered up this season’s worst quarter of football — a third quarter in which a 17-3 halftime lead evaporated into a 20-17 deficit.

The Patriots had been outscored 44-9 in the third quarter of their seven previous games. Then they outscored Miami, 17-0 in Sunday’s depressing third quarter.

And then fourth quarter follies followed.

Tannehill, who hadn’t previously thrown an interception, threw two. The defense, which previously limited the New England running game, gave up 61 rushing yards. And Sherman, who previously and finally seemed to discover Lamar Miller running the ball (16 times and 69 yards), called on Miller only two times despite still being in the game.

Really?

This is what the Dolphins had as response in a difficult moment?

“Second half I felt like we let up on them,” said linebacker Phillip Wheeler. “We got to look at the film to see why, but I felt we just let up. I just felt as team, not just a defense, as a team we let up. Not backed off purposely. We didn’t finish them. Like coach always says, he wants us to finish. We didn’t finish.”

That shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone familiar with the Dolphins.

This game, you see, had the exact same feel of the 2011 Dolphins trip to New England. That team led the Patriots 17-0 at halftime.

That team lost the game, 27-24.​

Hyde10: Ten thoughts on Dolphins loss to Patriots - Sun Sentinel

Play of the Game I: Patriots cornerback Logan Ryan came in free on a blitz from the left side, delivered a blindside hit on Ryan Tannehill and caused a fumble at the Miami 13-yard line that the Patriots' Rob Ninkovich recovered. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie did'n't block anyone on the play, as his man moved down the line, and left a spot for Ryan to rush. So after a talk with players, you'd think he'd be the one expected to pick up Ryan. Except he said he was fine with the play and his play overall. Philbin and Tannehill passed on explaining who was to blame. Bottom line is the Patriots tied up the game given that turnover, 17-17.​

Miami Dolphins succumb to New England Patriots’ second-half rally - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

Sure, the Dolphins still had more than 7 minutes to mount a rally, but instead allowed four more sacks, turned the ball over again (a Tannehill pick) and had a field goal blocked (Caleb Sturgis’ 39-yard attempt).

Any one of those plays usually spells doom in Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots (6-2) have won 25 of their past 28 games. Combined, they made for a dreadful finish to a game that once had such promise.

The Dolphins raced to a 14-0 first-half lead on Tannehill touchdown passes to Gibson (4 yards, before his injury) and Daniel Thomas (5 yards). Tannehill finished the game with 192 yards, those two touchdowns and two interceptions on 22 of 42 passing.

With new left tackle Bryant McKinnie in the starting lineup, the Dolphins’ offensive line mauled New England’s front seven early.

Miami rushed for a season-high 156 yards (including 89 on 18 carries by Lamar Miller) on the day, and didn’t allow a sack in the first half.

The defense was also playing great, holding Brady to just 25 passing yards through two quarters.

And up 14 points early in the second half, the Dolphins had a chance to stretch the lead even more. But Tannehill was sacked on third down, and Sturgis then hit the upright on his 46-yard field goal attempt.

With that, New England exploded, scoring the game’s final 24 points.

First, Brady directed a 5-play, 64-yard drive, capped by a 14-yard touchdown pass to Aaron Dobson, who got behind Nolan Carroll on a double move.

On the Dolphins’ next possession, Logan Ryan blindsided Tannehill, forcing a fumble that Rob Ninkovich recovered at the Miami 13. Brandon Bolden scored the gift touchdown, tying the game with a 2-yard jaunt.

Stephen Gostkowski later boomed through a 48-yard field goal, giving the Patriots their first lead of the day.

Finally, New England’s defense made one of the best plays you will ever see. Tannehill went deep down the right sideline to Mike Wallace, but Devin McCourty batted the ball up before he went out of bounds. Marquice Cole corralled it, and got two feet down.​

Fool's Gold - The Phinsider

This Dolphin team is a sham. After their 3 - 0 and start, they certainly appeared as though they were for real. Years of mistakes had been washed away, and Jeff Ireland and company had constructed a winner. The plan put in place a few years ago was coming to fruition. Ryan Tannehill was a great quarterback in the making and a franchise savior.

After Sunday's debacle, it appears an all too familiar situation has presented itself yet again; this regime has no idea what they are doing. Tannehill looks like Chad Henne 2.0. Wallace is a good player, but not the elite, game changing play-maker we were sold. Philbin and Sherman are middling offensive minds at BEST, and the defense is average but entirely too beatable.​

The Genius that is Bill Belicheck and How the Dolphins should Learn from the Pats | FinHeaven.com

One of the main reasons (besides having Tom Brady) why the Pats seem to always stay competitive is because Bill B has figured something out that I think the dolphins need to take notice of and try to implement. If you notice, the pats are very UNPREDICTABLE!!! It seems as though Bill B is always one step ahead of his opponents. You never know who their going to feature from week to week.

Case in point. Last season Steven Ridley was great for them. So this year with the lack of weapons at other positions you'd think that he'd be the feature guy right...... WRONG. The pats continuously switch things up at the RB position and teams have no idea how they're going to use their RB's. Another example, remember last year when all of a sudden for a 3-4 game stretch they stop throwing the ball to Wes Welker, clearly their best receiver. Why did they do that? My only guess is to NOT BE SO PREDICTABLE.

If you continue to do the same things over and over again in the NFL you will NOT be successful. Why? Because NFL coaches and players are very smart. And they study film to no end, so best believe that if you're showing any trends... Teams will pick up on them, take them away and force you to do something else. It seems to me that teams know that we want to throw short quick passes because our oline can't hold blocks long enough to throw deep. Makes it tough to complete those passes when teams know that that's what we're trying to do. I think we started to see the dolphins use some of this strategy against the bills by starting D. Thomas. My guess is that the bills planned and prepared for Miller to start, but we started Thomas instead and the Running Game seemed to get a boost. Maybe it's coincidence but i'm thinking it's not. We need to see more of this strategy. Feature different players week in and week out, throw the defense off. Once week run bubble screens and quick slants with Wallace, the next week have him run more deep routes. And the same with the other players. Gotta get creative.​

That was highly enjoyable reading. :D

What game have you watched this year that you consider McDaniels to have been doing a very good job? Remember that he is the architect of the game plan with Brady.

I missed the first quarter but here are my thoughts on the rest of the game that I saw.

- Ridley looked good. He's the best RB that we have. I don't know why he doesn't get more carries or be a featured back especially since our passing offense is struggling.

- Blount is a great finishing back when the defense is tired. Especially if our OL can get a push and he can get a head of steam.

- Brady's hand has to be bothering him. I don't care what he says. He's passes at the moment are almost always behind receivers.

- Sucks to lose SeaBass, but Cannon has the physical talent to fill that gap more than adequately. Scar needs to get in his @$$ to make sure he's ready mentally.

- We need DLs. Before the season started, a lot of questions were asked whether it was a good idea to have the lack of depth we had at DL. Nightmare scenario is playing out. We need some beef up front. Hindsight is 20/20, but Belichick screwed this one up.

- Great adjustment by Patricia. Bringing the house relentlessly was great to see. Even when the Phins made their adjustment to the blitz Patricia made another adjustment and brought it from somewhere else. Best f@kk!ng game I've seen him called.

- Logan Ryan looks good. Even if you take away the sacks, his coverage was a lot better than Arrington or Marquice.

- We're 6-2 and it's not looking pretty, but these are the type of games we'll be playing if we do make it into the playoffs.

Just watched the game myself and come away less impressed than I hoped. The Pats played a little better but the dolphins really killed themselves. They really do stink. Ridley was great. Dobson played much better and Gronk looks to be working himself back.Ghost is a machine. Brady is just not right. He is hesitant and inaccurate. There has got to be an injury or something. I also think he has little faith in Amendola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back