PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Patriots Chargers POST game thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The offficial Patriots Chargers POST game thread.

Seriously, there are people here who won't be satisfy unless the defense give up 100 total yards, and even then, they probably find something to complain about. That's not going to happen in the nfl today.
Give the defense credit on the goal line stop, the 2 force fumbles and 2 recoveries, 2 interceptions(one is hilarious). Yards don't mean jack if they can't score(i.e. Rams superbowl)

So the game plans have been to allow 1000 yards of offense in the first two games?

I'd like to find that in your "textbooks".

Find for me, how many defenses that allow 5500 + yards of offense during the season have won the championship.

1 in the last 2 years has won the Super Bowl. And the 2001 Patriots gave up 5300+ yards

Can someone explain how the heck Andre Carter was penalised for roughing the passer ? He wrapped up Rivers and took him to the turf. Don't understand what Carter is supposed to do....he just completed the tackle.

It's a very stupid adjustment to the rule of hitting the quarterback head on in terms of wrapping him up. In order for the hit to be legal, your "hairline" must not be below the point of contact.

Admited major Pats homo here but what I saw today from the D was keeping the POINTS the enemy scored low enough to win and doing something that we've lacked since the early part of the century, making BIG defensive plays, plays that changed the course of the game at critical junctures.

IF and this is a big if, this D can jell by working together (remember there's LOTS of newbies, vets and kids) and continue the culture of making big plays then they can begin to approach the kinds of Ds that BB put together 2001 and thereafter.

Need to give another shoutout to Brian Waters.. didn't give up a sack the whole game and nobody noticed him = doing his job.

Have to give kudos to our run game, not including Brady's pathetic 1.5 YPC, the runners (BJGE, Ridley, Woodhead) put together 101 yards, 1 TD, 1 extra point against a team that we've run very poorly against in the past (2.4 YPC last year).

Although the D gave up a lot of yards, we forced the turnovers and stopped them when we had to.

Ridley looks to be a great backup option. No hesitation to the hole, gets every yard possible much like BJGE.

Agreed on the other 2 points as well

Very good win against a very good team. I'm worried about the injuries to the DB's and I'm worried about the beating this QB is taking in this pass happy offense.

Last edited:

So the game plans have been to allow 1000 yards of offense in the first two games?

Find for me, how many defenses that allow 5500 + yards of offense during the season have won the championship.

So I guess that means GB isn't likely to repeat this year.

I liked seeing AJ Edds out there today. Also: more Ridley, please.

Last edited:

2001 Patriots gave up 5,352 on the season. (9 yds per/game less than 5,500)
2003 Patriots gave up 4,666 on the season. (52 yds per/game less than 5,500)
2004 Patriots gave up 4,972 on the season. (33 yds per/game less than 5,500)

Ranking in Points allowed per game: 2001: 6th , 2003: 1st , 2004: 2nd

Albeit they didn't give up 5,500+ yards on the season but they all were within one decent drive per game of it. It is how Belichick does defense. I agree they have to improve on not letting up yards and long drives. But if anyone can win despite them, it is Belichick. And remember this offense (in my opinion) is as dangerous (moreso in many ways) than in the glory years so there is just more room for "bend" in his defense. As admittedly maddening as it can be to watch the defensive plays, it is making stops that matters.

Last edited:

Now THAT's a typo.

Was it? I 'liked' the post because I was trying to be supportive of him coming out of the closet.

Just a quick mention. The pats gave up the following:

75 yards in the 2nd quarter that resulted in 0 points for the Chargers

The next series results in 34 yards of offense and an interception by Wilfork

The next possession (1st San Diego possession of the 3rd) was 77 yards of offense that ended with Browns interception.

There is 186 yards of offense with nothing to show for it. Nothing.

Yards only mean something when they result in points.. If you believe otherwise, then you've learned nothing about Belichick over his 11 seasons.

The reality is, SD earned their yards. The problem with "earning" is the margin. It should be perfectly obvious why they had 4 turnovers.

In this situation, mistakes are inevitable

Norv post-game presser: "I can't wait to get back in there.. Obviously when you have a game like this you cant wait to go play again."

Right.

Ridley looks to be a great backup option. No hesitation to the hole, gets every yard possible much like BJGE.

I agree with your description -- from what we've seen of him Ridley looks decisive and hard to bring down, as BJGE is. And he's built sturdily, more for power than for speed, as BJGE is. Yet somehow, to me he looks nothing whatsoever like BJGE!

Ridley looks surprisingly slippery and quick-footed, and comfortable catching the ball. I'd love to see more from him.

Great W! Hope the injuries aren't that serious.

Couldn't help but wonder how the outcome would have been had Floyd returned. He was amazing in the first quarter and we got lucky that he left injured. Guess by the same token I could say that the Bolts were lucky that one - and then eventually two? - of our CBs didn't return.

And boy...Vincent Jackson and plays he made, especially that catch he made on their second TD! :eek: Great throw by Rivers in that tight spot - that looked like an INT - and yet Jackson swooped in at the perfect time to grab it for the TD. Hats off to him!

I was sh*t scared when our demi-god took that nasty hit below the knees. Elated to see that Brady didn't seem to be that affected by the hit even though our offense spluttered on two possessions right after that scary hit.

And that neat hop out of bounds by Branch just before the first half ended that brought us close to the FG range? Precision pass and hop that was done to milk the clock to the maximum. Wonderful!! :) The O was clicking on all cylinders at that point in time (wish they had continued that once the third Q started. A score on that first drive would have allowed me to relax . ;) )

Finally, wish Wilfork ran all the way for a TD. Great to see that big man protect the ball when he realized that someone was trying to knock it off. :D

Just got home an hour ago from the game....anybody mention the continuous uncalled PI fouls all game long by Charger dbs and backers? I was up close and SAW with my own two eyes from section 118, 4 rows back....consistent pattern of hitting Welker well past the LOS and consitent uncalled holding on Gronkowski in patterns....I counted five BLATANT PI penalties on the Gronk with NOTHING flagged. I saw the hit on Rivers...from field level it sure looked legit...he hit him in the chest, Rivers went down...why is THAT a penalty???? Helmet to helmet?? Bullcrap...total bull.

Need to give another shoutout to Brian Waters.. didn't give up a sack the whole game and nobody noticed him = doing his job.

Have to give kudos to our run game, not including Brady's pathetic 1.5 YPC, the runners (BJGE, Ridley, Woodhead) put together 101 yards, 1 TD, 1 extra point against a team that we've run very poorly against in the past (2.4 YPC last year).

Although the D gave up a lot of yards, we forced the turnovers and stopped them when we had to.

Waters threw a monster block on gronk's screen...put the guy into another time zone:rocker:

The thing about this game that really stood out to me was the defense's ability to make plays in the pressure situations. They really do play well on a short field.

Comparing this game to last year's San Diego game is like night and day. I came away knowing we truly were the better team. Last year the Chargers just shot themselves in the foot every chance they got, granted we were smart enough to take advantage. However the turnovers today were results of guys being in the right place and doing their jobs. Last year was just plain stupidity and poor execution on San Diego's part.

Tough game next week against another QB who can put up a lot of points. If we can keep him under 300 it would be progress.

It possibly has been mentioned, but kudos to Matt Slater on his ST tackle on one of the punts!

I am sure it was the one where Mesko went down, Slater got down the field and hit the returner straight away!

Hey guys,

I'm a lurker over from the chargers forum, usually don't get too involved with the online message board stuff, but wanted to congratulate you guys on the win. It was very impressive to see the NE offense in action this year. It must be nice to be able to expect great things to happen around the clock because it's the norm, as opposed for me, where I'm on the edge of my seat wondering how we'll mess up this play pre-snap.

It just goes to show you how far apart our teams are in term of preparation and execution. While I do believe the game was closer than the score showed, we didn't execute when it mattered the most, and the mental errors of all those turnovers...well, it should be fairly obvious by now that if you expect to beat this 2011 Patriots team, you can't go around making those sort of dumb mistakes.

I'm certain a lot of that has to do with coaching, and I admire what BB has done with your guys. It's like one huge well oiled machine where any of your players will step up and execute if called upon to do so. I don't hate to admit that I wish our team could be a little bit more like yours in that aspect, as the mental aspect of our game has been missing for quite some time (or maybe we never had it.) Do I think we can get there? Yes, but the better question is how many of these lows and "growing pains" do we need to go through for it to click with all of our guys.

I want to say that it's been a fantastic rivalry. Hopefully we can squeeze a win or two down the line to show up as more than a blip on your regular season radar. Maybe we'll be able to make some noise later in the season if all the guys can get focused. Prob won't be back here again (unless we catch each other in the playoffs :))

My reactions.

And amazing that the Post Game thread from a 4pm game is on page two. That many topics other than the game? Wow.

QB
Again, shockingly accurate. Something that was really fun to see was the 9-second 20-yard drive without a timeout to get in field goal range at the end of the half. How can you fake to the inside with five seconds left and no timeouts and get the defense to bite? Apparently your jedi mind tricks work on me. One or two plays Brady held the ball too long. In one early play, a big rusher came right up the middle; Woody blocked him in the belly, holding him up for a second. He ovewhelmed Woodhead and came straight into Brady. Brady probably could have released when Danny gave him the extra second, since he was directly in Brady's line of sight. A great season is 4000 yards passing. Brady must be on pace for about 7000 yards through two games. He'll hit 4000 if he averages 200 a game from here out. Lots of no-huddle offense, especially against the bigger defense.

RB
Sort of hoping BJGE wouldn't run it straight in with time running out, but will always take the seven points. That last ~18 yard run certainly improved the running stats a bit, and should make the Red Zone run more of a threat. Before that BJGE struggled a bit. I really like the look of Ridley, have all pre-season although I wasn't a big fan of drafting him. I'd love to see more of him in games. I have to wait for another angle in the replays to see what Woodhead did. You just cannot see the guy in play. I thought he got nailed on the TD; you just see bodies flying where he was. Then in the replay you see him duck out, making everyone miss. Based on his success, can a four-foot RB be far behind?

WR
Branch continues to make it look easy. He just gets open. I am surprised at how well he is contributing right now. While Belichick has adapted a lot of his positions - from 5-9" 4.30 speed CB's to big 6-1 guys; from 6-5 OLB's to 6-1 guys; from two-gapping hole-pluggers to penetrating DT's; from 6-3 agile OT's to 6-7 guys; from 300 pound pulling guards to 350 pound monsters -his preferred WR is still the slippery 5-8" guy.

TE
A huge competitive advantage here. G1 can block the DE and then release, then run over the safety. Hernandez can get open on any safety. Let's hope Hernandez isn't out - the reports of a significant limp in the locker room are troubling. If he is, and Sea Bass is back, I wonder if we will see Solder catch a pass. Lining up G1, G2, and Solder is sort of unfair. G1 did get run over once in pass protection by Philips. When Philips limped off it really helped the protection. I didn't even notice Barnes.

OL
Tremendous protection. Unfair protection. Brady completely reset on a couple plays. Unlike last week, the receivers adapted their routes when covered and the line had picked everyone up. They struggled to open good holes against the 3-4. For most of the game the running game was stuffed, forcing the ball into Brady's hands. If I was playing the Patriots, I'd almost encourage the defense to give up three or four yards on every running play, to take the ball away from Brady. Hollow victory when you take away the Patriots running game.

DL
OK, I'll assume part of this was the no-Gates plan. Pretty limited pressure. It looked like Rivers was hit less than Henne last week. Anderson had the nice last-drive sack, but he seems to offer the exact pass rush each play: Hard first three steps, pause, hard three steps. Not much swimming, ripping, spinning. Interesting that Haynesworth is not starting. Love, I think, this week, and Wright last week. Hopefully that will come. Very good goal-line defense with three DT's. Several three-men-down looks later in the game. Haynesworth seems far more dominant in run defense than pass defense - he and Wilfork really stop up the line, but are not generating much inside rush yet. BIG smile on the interception. And he could go all - oops, out of gas.

LB
Again, assume a big part of the plan was negating Gates. Watching the game, not terribly noticeable until the end, and maybe because they were shutting down their guys and no need to focus the camera. Mayo finally made one big play, a Bruschi type of play, when the SD running back inexplicably stopped running forward and made a U-turn and dropped the ball. Mayo launched himself over the guard and crashed into the back. Very athletic. He made a good play to stop the ballcarrier inside the one that led to the 99-yard drive, after McCourty stood up the blocker. Little blitzing in this game.

CB
Tough game. Second consecutive 400+ passing effort. McCourty's guy was consistently open. McCourty, as noted above, made a great stop of the blocker on the fourth-down goal-line play, a game-changing play. Giving up 170+ yards to Jackson was tough. Thank goodness Floyd left the game. Take out Gates, below-average second and third receivers. You'd think they could double Jackson or something. Shocking that Dowling went down again. That hasn't happened since the pre-season, or his last season of college before that. Or... And what happened to Bodden? He's the fourth corner now, behind McCourty, Dowling, and Arrington. Arrington took a triple hit to the head: hit the crashing receiver (fullback reception?) on the back of his head, then head crushed into the field, then took the leg of the safety on the rebound. Ouch.

S
Revolving door. Chung out for a while, came back with a cast. Seeing Ihedigbo on defense isn't comforting when the team is getting torched. Interesting that Sergio Brown said he hadn't had an INT since high school - he was a good enough DB to make the NFL, but had zero INT's in college.

ST
Gostkowski can bury the ball when he wants. Nice corner kick by Mesko. Hope the Mesko injury isn't bad - that will screw with the roster. Maybe just not punt next week - don't studies show teams should really never punt outside their 20? The bend of the leg didn't look terrible. Huge coverage by Slater. Nice coverage by White.

Lots of injuries. I hope none are as serious as the two last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes