PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The non-Chiefs market for Cassel -- Broncos/Bucs 3-way trade? [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: KC only interested Team

The Vikings have decided to go with Rosenfels, which I think is moronic but whatever. Schefter has reported that both the Lions and Bucs tried to get Cassel, but presumably offered less than KC did.

Yea I just saw that on tv. This is why detroit sucks passing up a top 10 QB for a first rounder. Im gonna laugh my butt off when draft day comes and they draft another wideout from florida with it.

Cassel had to be willing to sign an extension with whoever traded for him. Do you think he was willing to sign one with the Lions? Me either.

I dont know, if Cassell plays like the first half Cassell than we wont regret it, but if he plays like the 2nd half of 2008 Cassell than we got ripped. That kid looked like a young Brady, someone who came out to have fun but spill his guts for the team, and he looked very damn smart too. I hope there is compensation if he plays better than excpected.

well, if it's true that both Detroit and tampa tried to get cassel then their offers must have sucked.. and they are stupid organizations but I knew that before this :D

Broncos were after Cassel too...

and were going to trade cutler to Tampa according to Schef

Re: Broncos were after Cassell too..

and were going to trade cutler to Tampa according to Schef

This news hurts.....ah, what could have been.

This news hurts.....ah, what could have been.

IF they were after him but didn't get him, then their offer might not have been as good, maybe???

Teams didn't get a chance to show interest in Cassel, he got tagged recently and free agency started yesterday. That is why we have always waited until draft day to make these trades.

Given our cap situation, we could only have waited until draft day if we had no intention of going after significant FAs beforehand. That and the fact that other teams may no longer have cap space then to acquire Cassel favored trading him asap.

That would have been absolutely wild.

I don't think the Pats wanted to trade Cassel to Denver. I mean that reunites him with McDaniels, but that team is probably closer to putting it together than the Chiefs. And Denver has owned us in the playoffs before. Hrrrm. Besides I don't think Denver was offering #12. And the Chiefs 2nd rounder is better than Denver's 2nd rounder.

My other thought is that Denver might have offered more at the last minute, but BB didn't want to renege on his deal and come off looking like a welcher. After all, the Vrabel trade was probably the first half of the deal going into motion and THAT happened yesterday.

Last edited:

Again - people talk about this like it's a two way trade between the Patriots and another team when its not. Cassel and his agent weren't about to OK a trade just anywhere.

Remember one thing we fans forget; he played with the Pats. We had a little to do with making him look good.
Lets wait till he plays a few games for the Chiefs.

Remember one thing we fans forget; he played with the Pats. We had a little to do with making him look good.
Lets wait till he plays a few games for the Chiefs.

Exactly. I've felt this way all along. I think when all the smoke clears, the Pats will have made a very good deal.

However, I think Maroney may end up in Denver. Which I hope not because his salary is so cheap and all the Pats backs not named Kevin Faulk are injury prone.

Last edited:

"I can not understand why BB couldn't secure a conditional 2010 pick as well in this deal. Something smells!
"

I agree with you. I thought at least 2 Two's were a given.

Guess you were wrong.

This is what is called managing expectations. Some people expected to much. Believed the hype. The hype wasn't reality.

If we got KC's 3rd, the contract level of that pick could of ate alot of cap space, and maybe there was no player that BB wanted at 3.

None of us are in the business. If Kraft and BB are happy, then I am behind them 100%

I don't think the Pats wanted to trade Cassel to Denver. I mean that reunites him with McDaniels, but that team is probably closer to putting it together than the Chiefs. And Denver has owned us in the playoffs before. Hrrrm. Besides I don't think Denver was offering #12. And the Chiefs 2nd rounder is better than Denver's 2nd rounder.

My other thought is that Denver might have offered more at the last minute, but BB didn't want to renege on his deal and come off looking like a welcher. After all, the Vrabel trade was probably the first half of the deal going into motion and THAT happened yesterday.

Yes, but with Denver's entire coaching staff essentially gone, you can pretty much put the Patriots' history against the Broncos to bed.

I believe Shefter reported that the BUcs and Lions approached Denver about flipping Cassel to them in return for Cutler, and the Broncos refuse after giving it some consideration....far cry from the Broncos being "after" Cassell.

What it looks like is that the Lions and Bucs weren't really interested in Cassell, but thought they could temp his former coordinator in taking him (plus picks, likely) for Cutler.

Sounds to me like it would be a very bad decision on McDaniels' part to to trade away Cutler just to get Cassel.
Although Cutler isnt a huge improvement over Cassel he is now the face of their franchise it would be ridiculous to trade him to Bucs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back